Teenager's take on how to reform Thai education

Lite Beer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Q : What are the other major problems?

The lack of welfare for both teachers and ........power centralised in the hands of teachers...... ? what? Paradox.

Q : Why do most other students not seem to have any problems with the system?

They don't study.

--------------

I'm surprised ..........but that's how I've always been. - Surprised at a constant?? Paradox

-----

He's not as bright as people make out. He needs to string his words more carefully, or he'll get nowhere!

Sunisa.

"Q : What are your views on the Pheu Thai government's education policy?

I don't think they take things seriously." NOBODY takes education seriously in Thailand, least of all these teenage brats. He has not said anything new here or offered anything valuable about how to make the system better. He's simply moaning about being a student. rolleyes.gif

I don't think they take things seriously." NOBODY takes education seriously in Thailand, least of all these teenage brats. He has not said anything new here or offered anything valuable about how to make the system better. He's simply moaning about being a student. rolleyes.gif

I think he is doing far more than moaning. He is questioning tradition and proposing that students have a voice in their education. His facebook site says students should learn not mimic (a google translation).

Wow, great article. I really hope this young man can start some kind of ball rolling...but I wont hold my breath.

I have been teaching english here in Thailand for about 9 years. At the moment I am working at a government (albeit selective) high school. Working at a high school is something that I swore I would never do again. When I was offered the job I took into consideration the type of school it was and decided to give it a go (the money and working conditions were pretty good to). I have again been reminded why I prefer to teach older prathom kids for my bread and butter. There is a point, somewhere around matthayom three that all the conditioning of how to be 'Thai' has finally worn down the kids naturally inquisitive nature. This is why I chose to teach matthayom 1 and 2. I can still see remnants in those kids of what should be nurtured, but is not. My friends dont understand why I dont want to teach higher level matthayom students. I just find a lot of those kids (no not all) to be a bit soul destroying to teach. I have now been forced to teach a few periods a week of matthayom 3 and 4. I do try and some of the students are pretty cool but the mindset is just not there for me. By that time the indoctrination has kind of zombiefied a lot of them. I am in no way saying that these kids are not smart. I know for a fact that many of them are really very intelligent young people. I just cant see the spark in a lot of them anymore. Having said that I do try to bring it out in them and do succeed at times.

Anyway, Thailand is possibly about to be thrown open to the world a little more with the AEC coming into fruition in 2015. Perhaps having more contact with their neighbours, being shown up a little at times will make them sit up and really take notice. This country has so many good things about it, inspite of all the negative tripe that I read on here. Thailand does not have to veer toward being too western in its thinking, it doesnt need to lose its identity, but Thai kids deserve more. One thing they can take from our education system is our acceptance to question everything...even if just for the sake of a good argument! Respect should be given to all untill it is shown that, the respect is not deserved. However, the blind acceptance that older people are ALWAYS right is stifling the younger generations. Thai kids should be taught how to use reason when arguing a point. This is something that is sorely lacking. There are obviously many other problems, the no fail system......

This young man should be given more airtime. I am genuinely interested in seeing what is going to happen in this country over the next decade. I will be here, unless something strange happens. I hope more like him speak out.

Enjoyed reading that. Agree with most of your comments. I have heard recently that The Thai Education system will take its first major change or step to bring it in line with ASEAN. From the Chamber of Commerce in Khon Kaen (good Source) that at the end of the 2nd semester in March 2014 all educational facilities will shut down for over 5 months and reopen 1st Semester September 2014 to bring the semesters in line with an ASEAN directive. Can anybody confirm this as my kids school are saying 'dont know' lot of teachers scrambling for money if this is true.

Hopefully this student and his friends will be the positive catalyst for change.

Let's hope his ideas and thoughts are taken seriously and allowed to mature.

CCC

Me too but I am sure there is a distinct possibility the boy will disappear and never be heard of again.

• Like 1

Education here needs heavy funding from the state, especially in new books, classroom repairs and even electricity in some places. I like the boy in the OP he has a good spirit, I would disagree slightly on the standing before the flag and Thainess in general, I think those things are good because being patriotic is what (if anything) will save this nation and other nations too. But I agree that saluting etc. should not get in the way of learning. One concern I have is the lack of funding in new books, and the growing trend of tablets, gadgets, googling etc. replacing the much more educational individual cross-referencing of books in libraries. Individual cross-referencing and correlation of mass-data is what makes kids grow up into smart adults capable of forming their own conclusions based on information provided in the workplace. Google and wiki have seriously undermined the actual researching and cross-referencing which was part of the learning process in previous generations, and which made people able to process facts by themselves and not just read the finished output on a website. Obviously you can't turn back the clock, and google/wiki are very useful tools, but kids should still study books and cross-reference from an early age, it promotes a critical appraising mind.

School uniforms should be heavily subsidised, free to all except the high-end expensive schools, obviously there are some schemes in place already but I still hear my Thai friends from lower-class backgrounds say they are strugging with new uniforms all the time. And the whole education system needs heavy investment by Ms Yingluck & co, books classrooms and infrastructure that promote healthy and smart kids in ALL parts of Thailand.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 2

The lack of welfare for both teachers and ........power centralised in the hands of teachers...... ? what? Paradox.

They don't study.

--------------

I'm surprised ..........but that's how I've always been. - Surprised at a constant?? Paradox

-----

He's not as bright as people make out. He needs to string his words more carefully, or he'll get nowhere!

Sunisa.

Would you be Thai by any chance ???

• Like 1

They don't study.

--------------

-----

Sunisa.

Would you be Thai by any chance ???

Exactly...one of the main problems with what passes for learning in Thailand: form is ALWAYS valued over content.

power centralised in the hands of teachers and school administrators"

And what school in the world is so different from this?! Give me a serious BREAK! These brats don't even listen to their teachers. I repeat, THEY DO NOT LISTEN. All they want to do is strole into class any time they please and do whatever the heck they want, which is not studying. They flat out don't have any respect for foreign teachers who really care about learning. We are labled 'serious' and KICKED out of school by these lazy ... I have had enough of these game playing idiots!

I advise you learn to spell correctly before you go on a tirade such as this. If your native language is not English...okay, you're doing fine. If your native language is English...you should hang your head in shame.

I sugget you learn to use punctuation properly before you point fingers at someone for making a spelling error on a FORUM. I spelt one word incorrectly and made one typo in a fairly long paragraph and you think I should hang my head in shame! People make mistakes. Rember you did too, so I suggest you stop right there.

Edited by PhoenixRising

As already stated the kids and students have no wish to learn they are not interested and usually about 15 minutes into a lesson the attention span has gone. ranked bottom out of a TOEFL in all new ASEAN countries. Ask a Philippine why they speak English so well in a very poor education system and the answers i get are because we want to so we can get on in life, as a Thai not nee spike englit. They cant even be bothered to pull the backs of there shoes of their heels just tread them down its easier.

Education begins at home and they dont get it. Pissing in the wind young man.

• Like 2

So what? Others are moaning and groaning about their frustrating life as a foreign teacher.

Maybe you have the time ability and wisdom to teach this 16 year old boy how to make things better from his position in society.

You would earn a lot of respect and admiration for that. Isn't that what you are looking for?

• Like 1

Everyone seems to have missed the only real action needed. MAKE THE STUDENTS ACTUALLY SIT AND PASS EXAMS, not just get automatic pass marks. How are they supposed to learn when they are not being taught properly or sitting exams, they need to be taught that "face" is nothing to worry about and to be taught the truth about the world, not the rose coloured thai crap they are taught now. Becoming responsible for their own future welfare will make them have to accept their faults and their capabilities without the arrogance they exhibit now, it might also help stop the inter school bashings/killings we see.

A school I worked at said there are a lot of students in the program who shouldn't be because they don't have the mental capacity to keep up with the rest of the class. They really should have a special program for them but nobody wants to pay for it. YOU have to try to make them pass every exam because if they fail, you have to write up six different exams and grade them all according to stringent guidlines before you can actually give them a failing grade. But you CAN fail them ... AFTER the sixth exam.

So what? Others are moaning and groaning about their frustrating life as a foreign teacher.

Maybe you have the time ability and wisdom to teach this 16 year old boy how to make things better from his position in society.

You would earn a lot of respect and admiration for that. Isn't that what you are looking for?

Nah, teenagers think they already know everything anyway. To make matters worse, in Thailand, they lack curiosity and originality in their academics. Oh sure it's there for art, but that's where it stays. Ask teens to be creative in an English writing class and they'll complain that it's boring and they just want to 'play a game.'

Here's some advice for this boy:

A. Get out of Thailand and observe successful education programs in Singapore, the Philippines and various Western countries.

B. Get a PhD in a Western country that's in the field of Education.

C. Publish a dissertation on the topic.

D. Gain widespread recognition for educational reform.

E. THEN tell the world what to do.

Until then, you are just talking!