Move to ease BKK's pedestrian traffic

Lite Beer

Who is renting the footpaths in Bangkok? If it is BMA, is the revenue recorded for public scrutiny? Or is it the establishments renting the footpath in front of their business, which they have no right to do since it is public property for pedestrian not business use? Regardless, the footpath Mafia control the footpaths throughout Thailand.

I have spoken to the people who set up the late night bars on lower Sukumvit. They told me they pay

money directly to the police. So being a bit of a doubting Thomas, I sincerely doubt any of the revenue

shows up on any BMA books..... :-)

I actually like street vendors as they add character, but they just need to be controlled a bit. Pretty

damned annoying to have to walk on the street because the sidewalk is completely blocked.

Who is renting the footpaths in Bangkok? If it is BMA, is the revenue recorded for public scrutiny? Or is it the establishments renting the footpath in front of their business, which they have no right to do since it is public property for pedestrian not business use? Regardless, the footpath Mafia control the footpaths throughout Thailand.

I have spoken to the people who set up the late night bars on lower Sukumvit. They told me they pay

money directly to the police. So being a bit of a doubting Thomas, I sincerely doubt any of the revenue

shows up on any BMA books..... :-)

I actually like street vendors as they add character, but they just need to be controlled a bit. Pretty

damned annoying to have to walk on the street because the sidewalk is completely blocked.

BMA regulate street stalls.

You only pay off the coppers if you are doing something illegal and want them to turn a blind eye. Selling grog on the footpath is probably going to fall into that category.

I just wish it was at least possible to walk on the pavement without being constantly forced into the road, the worst are roadside eateries that put all their chairs and tables in the way. From time to time I get irritated and push them out of the way if there is nobody at them. You would think I just killed someone from the looks I get for doing so. The government has actively encouraged bikes onto the pavement by making them easily accessible with extra blobs of concrete for them to drive up and down, I guess they think it eases congestion, the fact it causes accidents and injuries to pedestrians doesnt seem to matter at all. If you are too poor to drive a car them nobody cares about you and you have no rights anyway..

Are pedestrians blocking the flow of traffic trying to use the footpaths?

Outside the school where I used to work is a pavement restaurant where the tables and chairs block the whole footpath, forcing the schoolchildren and other pedestrians to walk on the very busy road, Why do the BiB not do anything about it? I would think that is obvious.

Footpaths are paths in the countryside, across fields etc.

Pavements (Brit) or sidewalks (US) are in urban areas. The main article and a number of posters got them mixed up.

And in Australia, sidewalks and pavements are also called 'footpaths'. And you know what Thai's call them? The call them 'foot paat'.

So, enough with the semantics.

Edited by samran

Pavements (Brit) or sidewalks (US) are in urban areas. The main article and a number of posters got them mixed up.

...and Raider is now called Twix!

...and Raider is now called Twix!

Hungry Jacks vs Burger King.