British Man Knocked Unconscious In City Centre

britmaveric

Foreigner knocked unconscious in city centre

Gang admits looking for trouble Police were summoned to the Beach Road’s Mike Shopping Mall after hearing reports that a foreigner was bleeding badly. Sure enough, they found Britisher Mr Dave Clark, aged 51, unconscious and bleeding seriously from the face. He was rushed to the Memorial Hospital where his wallet was observed to be missing.

Acting on information received from witnesses, police soon had 21 year old Giateesak Tongeur in handcuffs.He confessed to the dismal deed and added that he was a member of a gang of 10 who wandered around central Pattaya in the wee hours looking for likely robbery victims. He went on to say that the gang leader was a Mr Chai but he didn’t know the last name.

However, Mr Chai had recently shaved off his moustache. Mr Giateesak explained that he himself had got very little out of the robbery, less than 100 baht, so it seemed somewhat unfair that he had been left carrying the can so to speak. He said that some of the gang members worked in gay bars and congregated later on Beach Road to chat up the girls and to seek victims with fat wallets.

Mr Clark had been chosen as was observed to be drinking a beer in the open and had a bulge in his back pocket.

-Pattaya Today

17 April 2006

Foreigner knocked unconscious in city centre

He went on to say that the gang leader was a Mr Chai but he didn’t know the last name.

However, Mr Chai had recently shaved off his moustache.

-Pattaya Today

17 April 2006

Be on the lookout for an unnamed Thai without a moustache.

He confessed to the dismal deed and added that he was a member of a gang of 10 who wandered around central Pattaya in the wee hours looking for likely robbery victims.

Could this be one of the main reasons why the authorities would like earlier closing times for certain establishments?

Assuming that this 10 member crime gang is one of a few that select single farang victims in the "wee hours", it makes sense to return home whilst the streets are still crowded with other tourists.

He confessed to the dismal deed and added that he was a member of a gang of 10 who wandered around central Pattaya in the wee hours looking for likely robbery victims.

Could this be one of the main reasons why the authorities would like earlier closing times for certain establishments?

Assuming that this 10 member crime gang is one of a few that select single farang victims in the "wee hours", it makes sense to return home whilst the streets are still crowded with other tourists.

How much would it cost to have a few bib's patrol the beech, walking street and shopping malls during the small hours. I reckon a pittance compared to the overall city budget.

OK it might drive the muggers and gangs to other areas of Pattaya, but at least it would keep the main tourist areas relatively crime free and safe for families to walk at night.

Stupid idea really, I suppose. :o

He was rushed to the Memorial Hospital where his wallet was observed to be missing.

Yup. That was the first thing they checked at the hospital.

Wallet, cuts, fractures, abrasions in that order ! :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Is that the answer to the problem though?

As Mobi said, it wouldnt cost much to have the BIB posted every 200 yards or so along beach road.................after all this is supposed to be a tourist oriented town.

It would also help if the powers that be got to grasp with the recent rise in the number of gangs of young Thais roaming the streets looking for trouble instead of pussyfooting about with them, giving them 100-200 baht fines and letting them go.

Edited by thaiflyer1

Pattaya's night life has spread too far and wide for it to be regularly and thoroughly patrolled by law enforcement officers.

I wasn't suggesting that closing bars earlier would solve the problem of being attacked by gangs but it could be a step in the right direction to get drinkers home before the "wee hours" of the morning.

When it all boils down to safety, the onus is on the individual to exercise common sense. Don't get drunk. If you must walk home, use the main roads with plenty of street lighting and walk with a trusted friend. Don't carry more money than you want to lose.

They should go back to 24 hour opening, then you could stay in the bar until it gets light again. :o Voila, i should have been a politician :D

Patrol beach, 2nd , 3rd rds - being home early isnt the answer. Enforce curfew for underage teenies and crackdown hard. Impose anti-loitering laws. This can be enforced if they put their minds to it.

The offender in this matter is 21 years of age. Hardly a teenie.

This offence happened outside Mikes Shopping Mall. Also outside Mikes Shopping Mall, along the beach front, are dozens of lurking lady boys that the authorities promised to eliminate.

So much for a hard crack down.

Anti loitering laws can only be enforced for loitering but these gangs wander around searching for potential victims. Anti loitering laws would have no effect on this type of crime.

If farangs know that there is a possibility of being mugged on the way home, and if they choose to stay out into the wee hours of the morning, then they must accept that they run the risk of becoming a victim.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

When I've been in Pattaya, finding transportation late in the night was a problem--fortunately, I was always staying on a main road, so I wasn't too worried about getting mugged. I also shied away from large groups of young people congregated in any one area.

Never a problem staying out late at night with the missus. I have a feeling these lot pick targets they deem easy prey - most likely legless or of no threat.

1. Don't get legless

2. Stay in your own packs

3. If alone - be aware of your surroundings

4. Avoid obvious contact with Katoeys - if I size up a potential problem - I cross the other side of the street for good measure.