I Like Walking.......

theblether

I like walking too. I walk very day. My doctor told me to. I walk with an umbrella that has a sharpened point covered with a rubber tip.

On my walks this week I have not seen anything dangerous. But when I walk to the trash area at night to throw out the garbage I have seen a monocled cobra, Malaysian pit viper and a bunch of big black scorpions. The scorpions walk slowly; an odd kind of walk like a little tank with two turrets. They get run over a lot. The pit vipers have just been sitting there coiled up not bothering anyone and the cobras were always on the move when the saw me.

Now if it was my sister, I would tell her, Sis walk anywhere you like but keep an eye out for the pit vipers, cobras and black scorpions. Of course there is the mosquito with Malaria and Dengue fever too. I hear the Dengue ones are biting at night now too. Odd that Thai people don't like to walk isn't it.

Not many pit vipers hanging around the Chiang Mai Moat. In fact, disappointingly I've never seen any snakes or scorpions on the streets of Chiang Mai. I did see a python swim past me on the Ping River recently though, I loved that.

scorpions snakes, bah hui, these are the ones you gotta watch out for:

rCi2smv.jpg

note the water cannon on the roof. says fire dept on the truck but thats just to fool ya. can you imaging what sorts of nasties is in that moat water when it gets sprayed into your eyes?

Edited by ikan
  • Like 2

there is a good walking foot path all around the moat. and yes you are unlikely to see any thais walking it or sitting on the seats or children out playing there. they are vehemently thai but just dont go out into thailand public. that is for someone to enjoy. not thais.rolleyes.gif

I've done it, but by the time I get to the malaria research facility from the main gate, I'm ready to shrivel up. It's bloody hot.

Not a good recommendation to make for a delicate flower of a young lady. This girl is apparently spry and lively like a garden nymph. She can't walk about in the Thai sun lest her peaches and cream complexion become splotched and darkened to that of someone horrid from, say the Midlands. whistling.gif

I walk a lot and love hiking in the forest, but walking on a Thai street has its own special attraction. It is seldom boring like walking on a Canadian sidewalk. In Thailand you have to pay constant attention. It is sort of like a dance without music. It is the same with riding a motorbike in Thailand as compared with riding in Canada. In North America it is a bit boring because everyone follows rules and laws. In Thailand it is all free form where everything flows like water and goes in all directions at once. It keeps you on your toes with all senses on high alert. That is invigorating.

there is a good walking foot path all around the moat. and yes you are unlikely to see any thais walking it or sitting on the seats or children out playing there. they are vehemently thai but just dont go out into thailand public. that is for someone to enjoy. not thais.rolleyes.gif

I've done it, but by the time I get to the malaria research facility from the main gate, I'm ready to shrivel up. It's bloody hot.

Not a good recommendation to make for a delicate flower of a young lady. This girl is apparently spry and lively like a garden nymph. She can't walk about in the Thai sun lest her peaches and cream complexion become splotched and darkened to that of someone horrid from, say the Midlands. whistling.gif

you have to wear a hat preferably one of those cloth ones which has the extra cloth that comes down over the neck and rests on the shoulders like the thai field workers wear. no they're not making you extra hot, they have ventilation holes in them.

then you have to stop and sniff the roses so to speak, more a pleasant stroll than a determined marathon, but even then if want to pull out there is no shortage of types of public accessible transport.(unfortunately in most cases)

Edited by garett bergnaum

you have to wear a hat preferably one of those cloth ones which has the extra cloth that comes down over the neck and rests on the shoulders like the thai field workers wear. no they're not making you extra hot, they have ventilation holes in them.

then you have to stop and sniff the roses so to speak, more a pleasant stroll than a determined marathon, but even then if want to pull out there is no shortage of types of public accessible transport.(unfortunately in most cases)

Rubish.....there is no accessible transport.

Edited by harrry

It irks me when Thai's I am with refuse to walk for a few minutes because it's "too far" even though sometimes you can literally see the place we're planning on going.

Back home my local pubs were over 3 miles from my house. To me that's not far and only takes about 30-40 minutes so I'd walk there and back (kebab in hand and a few pints in the belly).

I doubt your average Thai person could even imagine that being possible.

A girl on leaving my apartment the other week wanted to take a motorbike to the end of the Soi to then get a taxi to the BTS. I walk to the BTS every day and it's less than 10 minutes walk. I'd never dream of taking transport there.

My hotel is 2 or 3 kilometers from the heart of the city, depending on what route I take. I often take the longer route just for the walk. As I walk along the road I pass the same vendors who often wave and say hello. After a while they just become friends and once in a while I'll stop for a chat. I'll run into the same dogs that recognize me and come over to get their ears and back rubbed. The fruit lady knows I like ripe mangos and she will call to me when she has some. Another vendor knows what I like to drink and I don't even have to ask. Two young girls will bring me little pastries and give me a shy smile when I thank them. Every walk is a unique adventure and I usually learn something that would not have happened if I took my motorbike.

• Like 2

I walk a lot and love hiking in the forest, but walking on a Thai street has its own special attraction. It is seldom boring like walking on a Canadian sidewalk. In Thailand you have to pay constant attention. It is sort of like a dance without music. It is the same with riding a motorbike in Thailand as compared with riding in Canada. In North America it is a bit boring because everyone follows rules and laws. In Thailand it is all free form where everything flows like water and goes in all directions at once. It keeps you on your toes with all senses on high alert. That is invigorating.

Oh, I don't know. when this country boy first moved to Toronto, a walk along young street was full of interesting happenings and interesting sights. :-)