I Like Walking.......

theblether

there is a good walking foot path all around the moat. and yes you are unlikely to see any thais walking it or sitting on the seats or children out playing there. they are vehemently thai but just dont go out into thailand public. that is for someone to enjoy. not thais.rolleyes.gif

Whenever we visit any of my wife's upcountry relatives I enjoy the opportunity to walk around and explore the countryside. This is, inexplicable to most of the country folk that I meet. I usually get lot's of practice speaking Thai: "No, I'm not lost, thank you" "I'm just walking for exercise" etc..

My wife's sister lives 100 meters down the road. Never seen either one of them walk, always the motorbike. To me, it's more trouble to get the bike out and start it than it is to walk.

Thais hate walking for sure. Just moved to a new moo baan and I'm receiving unsubtle hints that we have to buy a second scooter, because the closest 7/11 is too far away and if I'm out on the scooter, causes a problem.

I paced it out last night - 200 metres to the moo baan gate, a further 120 metres to the 7/11. The round trip is a bit more than half a kilometre - in Thai speak, that's nearly a marathon distance.

When the staff were planning a 'walkable community' from a town Planning perspective, the study showed that about 400 metres was the distance we walk before hopping in a car/bike etc, so given the Thai's aversion to walking ... that is indeed a long distance.

Thais hate walking for sure. Just moved to a new moo baan and I'm receiving unsubtle hints that we have to buy a second scooter, because the closest 7/11 is too far away and if I'm out on the scooter, causes a problem.

I paced it out last night - 200 metres to the moo baan gate, a further 120 metres to the 7/11. The round trip is a bit more than half a kilometre - in Thai speak, that's nearly a marathon distance.

Meet in the middle, buy her a bicycle violin.gif

I'll never forget that first trip to Patts - walking down a sidewalk that suddenly became roadway complete with motorbikes in 'my' zone. It's an eye-opener, but fortunately the presence of motorbikes on pedestrian footways all over Asia made it slightly less traumatic, and they did slow down to about 50km/h .... ;)

• Like 1

I like walking too. I walk very day. My doctor told me to. I walk with an umbrella that has a sharpened point covered with a rubber tip.

On my walks this week I have not seen anything dangerous. But when I walk to the trash area at night to throw out the garbage I have seen a monocled cobra, Malaysian pit viper and a bunch of big black scorpions. The scorpions walk slowly; an odd kind of walk like a little tank with two turrets. They get run over a lot. The pit vipers have just been sitting there coiled up not bothering anyone and the cobras were always on the move when the saw me.

Now if it was my sister, I would tell her, Sis walk anywhere you like but keep an eye out for the pit vipers, cobras and black scorpions. Of course there is the mosquito with Malaria and Dengue fever too. I hear the Dengue ones are biting at night now too. Odd that Thai people don't like to walk isn't it.

40 years ago it used not be like that. I used to walk every morning from Prakanong to my office on Patpong. There were nice footpaths then and the nice policemen on duty at the road crossings used to salute me and stop traffic for me to cross the road.

did not need the salute but would like the pavements back.

40 years ago it used not be like that. I used to walk every morning from Prakanong to my office on Patpong. There were nice footpaths then and the nice policemen on duty at the road crossings used to salute me and stop traffic for me to cross the road.

That's a fair trot though harrry. I bet you had a fair wallop of swazz in the old trunks by the time you got to the office...?

That's a fair trot though harrry. I bet you had a fair wallop of swazz in the old trunks by the time you got to the office...?

Was a lot fitter then than now....well I guess that happens to everyone.