Where can I buy BORIC ACID in Pattaya?

paulsh

Hi there,

I'm trying to find Boric Acid but nobody seems to know what it is...

Tried 4 pharmacies.

I'm using it for my shoes, it helps keep them smells-free, especially in Thailand where it's really hot and humid. Can't look professional with flip flops!

I had a few hundred grams that I brought from my home country (where it costs about $1 per 100 grams, which is all I need for at least 3 weeks when wearing my shoes every day 12h/day!), but now I need to refill my stock and can't find it anywhere in Thailand!

According to Google Translate it would be "กรดบอริก" (kurot buric) in Thai, which is actually the same name...

Here is how it looks like:

Boric_Acid.jpg

Its texture is very similar to flour.

Any help greatly appreciated!

i would look in the pest/roach department of bigc. Thats what we used it for in the states...

Really?!!

That's scary, we're also using it for smelly feet in Europe (sprinkled on the foot directly), maybe it's not exactly the same as the one found in European pharmacies?

I'll go take a look in BigC. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid

Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects. The product is generally considered to be safe to use in household kitchens to control cockroaches and ants.[17] It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism, and the dry powder is abrasive to the insects' exoskeletons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid

Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects. The product is generally considered to be safe to use in household kitchens to control cockroaches and ants.[17] It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism, and the dry powder is abrasive to the insects' exoskeletons.

Wikipedia a great resource!

I didn't know all this.

Here's more about the medical use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid#Medical

Boric acid can be used as an antiseptic for minor burns or cuts and is sometimes used in dressings or salves. Boric acid is applied in a very dilute solution as an eye wash. Dilute boric acid can be used as a vaginal douche to treatbacterial vaginosis due to excessive alkalinity.[15] As an antibacterial compound, boric acid can also be used as an acne treatment. It is also used as prevention of athlete's foot, by inserting powder in the socks or stockings, and in solution can be used to treat some kinds of otitis externa (ear infection) in both humans and animals.

Edited by paulsh

Paulsh wrote: 'I'm using it for my shoes, it helps keep them smells-free....'

Alternately, you can use baby powder, liberally sprinkled inside your shoes.

It absorbs moisture and also smells good....eliminating stinky feet.

I normally wear flip-flops so no sweaty feet, except when wearing my motorcycle boots and

the baby powder eliminates the sweaty & stinky feet problem.

Boric acid mixed with sugar and water is great to deal with ant and roach infestations. Just put a drop on a piece of paper where the pests are and in a day or two they'll be gone for good. (at least until a new colony moves in, just repeat).

In fact I saw Foodland selling tiny tubes (superglue size, probably like 2g inside) of essentially the same mix for about 150 baht.

• Like 1

Paulsh wrote: 'I'm using it for my shoes, it helps keep them smells-free....'

Alternately, you can use baby powder, liberally sprinkled inside your shoes.

It absorbs moisture and also smells good....eliminating stinky feet.

I normally wear flip-flops so no sweaty feet, except when wearing my motorcycle boots and

the baby powder eliminates the sweaty & stinky feet problem.

There's absolutely no comparison with baby powder whatsoever!!!

Boric acid has antiseptic and antibacterial properties, it's nothing near an moisture absorbent, it's used for medical reasons and not for comfort feeling. It's to prevent and treat fungal infection.

To give you an example, when I was living back in Europe and that I had to wear closed shoes all day long, after a few years I developed a fungal infection and the only symptom was a bad smell. No shower, no antibacterial soap, not even bleach (with chlorine) would help! When I finally learned about boric acid, I went to buy some and after sprinkling it on my foot/socks/shoes the problem was completely gone after two days.

• Like 1

Boric acid mixed with sugar and water is great to deal with ant and roach infestations. Just put a drop on a piece of paper where the pests are and in a day or two they'll be gone for good. (at least until a new colony moves in, just repeat).

In fact I saw Foodland selling tiny tubes (superglue size, probably like 2g inside) of essentially the same mix for about 150 baht.

150BAHT !!! they should throw a tube of ky in at that price.

Boric acid is not borax & vice versa.

Both are available in chinatown BKK - quite a few chemical stores.

Borax is fine, make a solution, rinse socks in it after washing, wring out, dry, no more stink. Also dip shoes in it & let them dry.

Borax is 'sarn som'. Available (large crystals - up to 1/2 kg) in shop opp Banglamung market near the PO.

• Thanks 1

My local pharmacy here in Ban Chang has ordered boric acid powder for me with no problems. Small box as I recall 250 grams. Pharmaceutical grade. No special explanation as I remember as this was more than 2 years ago but he does speak pretty good English.

And as said borax and boric acid not same

• Like 1

There's absolutely no comparison with baby powder whatsoever!!!

Boric acid has antiseptic and antibacterial properties, it's nothing near an moisture absorbent, it's used for medical reasons and not for comfort feeling. It's to prevent and treat fungal infection.

paulsh is correct: boric acid vs baby powder .

I stand corrected. My bad!

Well, at least my feet smell okay :-)

Boric acid is not borax & vice versa.

Both are available in chinatown BKK - quite a few chemical stores.

Borax is fine, make a solution, rinse socks in it after washing, wring out, dry, no more stink. Also dip shoes in it & let them dry.

Borax is 'sarn som'. Available (large crystals - up to 1/2 kg) in shop opp Banglamung market near the PO.

So this shop has borax crystals but not boric acid? What kind of shop is it? I would have thought a shop who has one would also have the other...

There are powder deodorant for foot that you can put in socks, I saw some 'Boots' brand at Boots the chemist, not sure what they are made of though.

There is a Thai brand called 'Parachute Brand' that is essentially antiseptic powder that's normally put on cuts or abscess, they come in small sachet, ask for 'Pong Phi Set' at the pharmacy, (looks at the picture in the link). I don't know what it is made of exactly but it seems to contain sulfa antibacterial.

I buy it from a laboratory supply shop in Chiang Mai. I live in Phuket and I had him ship me one 25kg bag of Boric Acid (he has borax also) and 25kg of trisodiumphosphate , which I had a hard time finding here in Thailand. When I used to live in Chiang Mai I used to buy either one of these chemicals for 60 baht a kilo at this shop. If you can't find it, pm me and I will try to find the address and telephone number again for you.

As I mentioned a few days ago this box of boric acid came from my local pharmacy. He ordered from his supplier and the box has this label on it. Hope this helps. 450 gram box was 150 baht it is considered medicinal grade such as using for a eye wash solution when mixed with sterile water in the correct ratio. I used it for ants and worked great.

The expiry date is well past but I don't think the ants care about that.

BoricAcid.pdf

• Like 1

Not a substitute, but you might try baking soda instead, perhaps mixed w/ some corn starch. Really helps w/ odor and the corn starch is absorbent. It's a common DIY recipe for underarm deodorant. I've seen one recipe for killing ants by mixing baking soda (rather than borax) w/ powdered sugar, but haven't tried it. Quite cheap!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Boric Acid is used in the jewellery trade for quenching the gold after soldering it, so wander around to the repair shops and ask info on where to buy, but you will probably find they get it from Bkk.

If you can find one you could try an old style hardware store

• Like 1

On 9/3/2013 at 2:10 PM, balo said:

Where can we buy this in Pattaya ? I want to kill some cockroaches.

lazada 

I used Borax which is the same thing.  after 4 weeks a serious roach problem completely eliminated and not a single roach anywhere 10 weeks since treatment

Edited by madmen