Thai supermodel "Yui" admitted to mental institute

webfact

Supermodel "Yui" admitted to mental institute
The Nation

30213909-01_big.jpg
A file photo of Rojjana Phetkanha dated 2003-06-03.

BANGKOK: -- The Social Development and Human Security Ministry has extended its assistance to famous Thai model Rojjana (Yui) Phetkanha, who was admitted to a mental institute on Sunday.

The former supermodel was found wandering on Phetkasem Road, carrying a plastic bag. She was apparently disoriented and confused. She was admitted to the Somdetchaopraya Institute of Psychiatry.

Social Development and Human Security Minister Pavena Hongsakul visited her at the hospital.

Pavena told reporters that the ministry has contacted her family and checked if it is able to take care of the model. The ministry is also ready to provide a shelter and treatment, if her family cannot.

"She talked sensibly to me and said she wanted to meet her brother," Pavena said.

Rojjana is the first Thai model to make it big on the world stage. She was born to a farmer’s family in Ubon Ratchathani. Joining the model world 16 years ago, she was a covergirl, the face of a Chanel perfume and shuttling between New York, Paris, London and Milan. But with fame and fortune came parties and drugs, which led to her downfall.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-02

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is The Nation showing us a photo of her more than 10 years old?

I don't think that is actually a pic of her, the woman in the photo is definitely not model material. Very plain and boyish looking.

But, but......the boys look like girls and the girls look like boys.....that's why such large numbers of them don't appear to know just exactly what they are supposed to be !

• Like 1

I find it rather sad but it does show how one day a celebrity might be on top of the world and the next (figuratively speaking) you're at the bottom of the barrel.

I used the story to demonstrate to my teenage step daughter the frailties of life.

BTW, Paveena was well known long before becoming an MP and if the publicity generates support for her foundation why no go for it?, at least someone wins.

• Like 2

No disrespect to this poor lady, I sincerely hope she gets treatment and can recover.

However if she wasn't famous would she have been visited by a cabinet minister who offered help if her family cannot afford to take care of her ? There are many families who are plagued by the curse of mental health problems and just have to get on with it.

It affects a lot of people in Thailand. Most of which are ill-equipped to deal sufficiently with the debilitating aspects of mental illness.

The prevalence of schizophrenia at ages 15-59 in the Thai population was 8.8 per 1,000

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2936278/

Hopefully, Pavena's intervention is a jump start for helping the other millions of other Thais with mental illness who are in need of assistance, but who aren't ex-celebrities.

Unfortunately, history is not on the side of that hope.

Edited by johnnie20110

Why is The Nation showing us a photo of her more than 10 years old?

I don't think that is actually a pic of her, the woman in the photo is definitely not model material. Very plain and boyish looking.

You mean the picture of her with "A file photo of Rojjana Phetkanha" written underneath?

I feel sorry for her. Fashion world traps models into drug and drinking habits. Naomi Campbell got out of it through a rehabilitation center. I wish Yui the best recovery thanks to the Ministry.

No mention of drugs here. Sounds fairly typical of someone with a psychiatric problem. I wish her all the best. Pavena is one of the few pollies I respect here as at least what she does is real and positive.

We are all masters of our own destiny,the weak are weak.

Well, should you ever develop a mental illness - or a physical illness for that matter, since presumably you're just as culpable for that too - I guess the only correct response will be, as the Thais say: 'som nam na'. You wouldn't have it any other way, would you?

• Like 2

"Culture is not your friend." (Terence Mckenna)

Modern society including Thailand has robbed women of their natural state, and made them into automatons which are chiselled and chipped away at until they look "right", right being a variable integer that changes from one season to the next. All my friends who work in showbiz or modelling are on a raft of antidepressants and painkillers and appetite suppressants to try to be the desired automaton, the beloved machine that the fickle and uncaring media demands. And worse still, the ladies who observe the media try to emulate this frankenstinian mold, to become as the media automatons are. It denatures and robs women of our innate magical powers that we are all born with, to be healthy and to raise a healthy child and to meet a caring partner. Those things are mutually exclusive to working in the Biz, the media is a snarling chimera which devours people whole and spits out the pieces on the way to the next victim.

My prayers go to this lady and I hope she finds her equilibrium, and embarks on a life where both her feet are planted on solid ground every step she takes.

wai2.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 2