Passport

Advice ...

Applied for a new passport via Hong Kong .. No problems it arrived the other day ..

As we are moving have misplaced my old passport which had my multiple entry visa in it ..

Been to Nakhon sawan immigration who told me to photo copy it ..

As u know I can't as I not have ..

Explained this .. She then said go back to uk get another visa ....

Is there any other way ..

My last visa run was done in Mae sot

Another option she said

Go police station get letter

Go Bangkok British embassy

Then go Mae sot

Then come back here

It's bad enough going Mae sot let alone Bangkok aswell

Any ideas would appreciate them .....

If you lost your old passport with the multiple entry visa in in you basically have to start over. You can file a police report and go to the Embassy but I really don't know what good that would do you as the visa was in your old passport and immigration will want to see something that connects that to the passport. If you can up with something that has your old passport number in it the lady in NS may be able to connect that to your visa. She is very knowledgeable and will help you if she can. Don't you have an old copy somewhere?

Regarding the 'lost' passport, I don't think there's not a lot can be done with regard the visa it has inside unless you find it again. Mae Sot won't have a record of the actual visa, probably just records of your usage. Even asking the Embassy or Consulate that issued the original visa is a lost cause.

Also, since the new UK overseas passport issuing system allows that your old, missing one is still valid at the same time as the new, replacement one is on the way and until you use the new passport, I would reckon you would need to make a police report of loss and submit that to whatever UK passport issuing authority accepts it. Just in case your old passport has been 'found' by someone else and abused.

I guess this is a timely reminder for all to make sure that have a scanned copy of their current passport, visas and/or extensions as well as keeping an electronic copy on a USB stick for emergencies like the OP's.

Thanks guys ..

Have a copy of my old passport photo page but stupidly sent everything else with the passport application ..

Copy of visa etc

Am leaving thailand or trying to in 28 days but on a blank passport ....

Plus will be on over stay as would av been due a visa run on the 16 th September ......

Just don't know what to do ... Have called Bangkok ... Didn't have alot of joy ..

Haven't called Mae sot as yet ..

Nakhon sawan immigration seemed to think they may be able to find me on there pc ..

The other option is calling hull in uk where visa was issued ...

Don't know if this will help

I assume you have no entry/permit to stay stamps in your passport?

If not you need to do a police report for a lost passport and go to immigration to get stamps done.Do you have departure card?

Your visa is lost and there is nothing you can do about that.

What was visa based upon. If married to a Thai you could get a new one in Savannakhet Laos.

Edit: skip first line info given in post you made while I was typing.

Edited by ubonjoe

Regarding the 'lost' passport, I don't think there's not a lot can be done with regard the visa it has inside unless you find it again. Mae Sot won't have a record of the actual visa, probably just records of your usage. Even asking the Embassy or Consulate that issued the original visa is a lost cause.

Also, since the new UK overseas passport issuing system allows that your old, missing one is still valid at the same time as the new, replacement one is on the way and until you use the new passport, I would reckon you would need to make a police report of loss and submit that to whatever UK passport issuing authority accepts it. Just in case your old passport has been 'found' by someone else and abused.

I guess this is a timely reminder for all to make sure that have a scanned copy of their current passport, visas and/or extensions as well as keeping an electronic copy on a USB stick for emergencies like the OP's.

That is not correct. Your existing passport is cancelled electronically in HK when they receive your application to renew. This is explained in the notes that come with the application form. Your old passport is invalid as soon as this happens. Nothing to do with using your new passport. The only reason you do not have to submit your old passport with your application is because of the Thai requirement on foreigners.

However, to cover himself, a police report should be filed and the UK authorities informed the old passport has been lost.

Well i was told this about it being cancelled .. Went to Mae sot gave them my new passport and my old one with visa in .. They looked puzzled for a while and then gave me new one back .. And said .. We not see this .. I explained old one nearly expired and so using new one .. No they said . Stamped me out

Into Burma then left .. Back into Thailand no problem ..

Then I should have gone to immigration nakhon sawan and asked what to do ..

I didn't ..

Now I'm knackered !

I don't suppose you made a photocopy of that original multi-entry visa did you?

Most people don't.

You see all visas have a visa number on them.

A photocopy made just after you got that got that visa clearly showing

• The visa number
  • The date of issue
  • The place of issue
  • And your passport details (picture page info and identification details on that page),
  • And front page of that passport.

would have been the just thing.

Nowadays, all that data would have been entered into a computer and would be in the immigration database.

Getting someone, maybe a supervisor with the authority to do so, (which would mean all that stored data could have been retrieved and your original visa verified) might have been a problem,

But if you only had that good photocopy with all that info clearly visible on it .............

But if you could have convinced them to do it, all your data was there.

As I said, almost nobody ever does do that.

I had to learn my lesson the hard way too some years ago when I lost my passport and the visa I had paid XXX for.

If I had only made that copy and had it stored somewhere safely ......

whistling.gif

Immigration would have no record of a visa only entries and permitted to stay dates. They did not issue the visa so why would they.

If you had a copy and returned to the embassy or consulate that issued it you might get some help but that is unlikely other than helping you to apply for a new one.

Edited by ubonjoe

Well i was told this about it being cancelled .. Went to Mae sot gave them my new passport and my old one with visa in .. They looked puzzled for a while and then gave me new one back .. And said .. We not see this .. I explained old one nearly expired and so using new one .. No they said . Stamped me out

I didn't ..

Now I'm knackered !

That's a bit strange. Had you cut the corners off the old one? It appears that they thought you had two valid passports.

The problem is that it is now up to you to void the old passport when you get the new one in the mail.

I didn't ..

Now I'm knackered !

Now I am confused. Your OP says you 'just received' the new passport from HKG and your old passport is 'lost' and then you post that you went to Mae Sot with "my new passport and my old one with visa in"...

Went back to immigration after visiting police station ..

Immigration were very helpful .. Made loads of calls etc

After 2 hours said i need to go embassy Bangkok as have new passport with no letter from uk

So happy days tomorrow ... One night in Bangkok ..

So what letter did Immigration ask you to obtain from the Embassy in Bangkok? Their "visa transfer request" letter which is actually a misnomer since only existing extension of stay stamps can be transferred from old to new passports, not live visas? I am in difficulty in understanding what purpose a "visa transfer request" letter would serve in your case - assuming, of course, that this is what Immigration are asking for.

If you are crystal clear on what Immigration require, I suggest that you call the Embassy first thing tomorrow and explain the situation to them over the phone, before risking a trip to Bangkok which might prove fruitless. Whatever Immigration want sounds rather out of the ordinary to me: at the end of the day I really cannot see how you have little choice other than to start all over again with a fresh visa, as has already been pointed out.

He needs to get last entry and permit to stay stamps put into his new passport.

All the phone calls were probably to do with finding his last entry info.

It is standard procedure to ask for letter when you have a new passport.

Sent from my AirPad 8" TA803D using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app