URGENT: Call For Blood-Type B, Chiang Mai

realthaideal

If you fit the bill, a great chance to help someone out!

DVB staff reporter Than Htike Oo is critically ill in McCormick Hospital. He was due to undergo surgery this evening but it has been postponed until tomorrow (Tuesday) morning because of a lack of blood type-B (apparently positive OR negative). Anyone who can donate, please call his wife, Noreen: 081-980-1621

• Like 2

Donors' Qualifications:
1. 17-70 years of age
2. Excellent health, with the weight over 45 kg
3. No history of hepatitis or jaundice
4. No history of malarial fever for the past 3 years and no sexually transmitted diseases, infectious diseases, persistent cough, coughing up blood, hemophilia, blood-related diseases, asthma, allergy, epilepsy, long-term skin diseases, kidney diseases, heart problems, diabetes, thyroid.
5. No considerable weight loss
6. No behaviors of sexual promiscuity. No record of drug use.
7. Blood donation is not recommended during the 6 months after a medical operation, child delivery, or abortion. In case of receiving donated blood, allow 1 year before giving blood.
8. Female donors are not menstruating or pregnant.

http://www.redcross.or.th/old/english/donation/blood_wholeblood.php

Seems a bit different from when I last went there. No. 6 would probably disqualify a few expats...

• Like 2

Donors' Qualifications:

1. 17-70 years of age

4. No history of malarial fever for the past 3 years and no sexually transmitted diseases, infectious diseases, persistent cough, coughing up blood, hemophilia, blood-related diseases, asthma, allergy, epilepsy, long-term skin diseases, kidney diseases, heart problems, diabetes, thyroid.

7. Blood donation is not recommended during the 6 months after a medical operation, child delivery, or abortion. In case of receiving donated blood, allow 1 year before giving blood.

Seems a bit different from when I last went there. No. 6 would probably disqualify a few expats...

You forgot homosexuals -- NOT ALLOWED TO DONATE

We are a danger for the world.

• Like 1

You MUST know more than A,B,0 or AB system, its totally necessery to know the rhesus type + or -. Is it B rhesus positiv or B rhesus negative?

Blodtype 0 rhesus negative is the exception and can be transferred to all other A,B,0 and AB and rhesus positive and negative.

• Like 1

I know they used to have limits on how old a person is who is donating blood, is that still the case?

Unfortunately yes I an 67 years young have be a donor all my life donated over 75 times ( 0 neg) but they do not allow me even when I am in good health, to donate in my home country ( Netherlands) it is allowed.

What could be wrong with an older humans blood if you are still in good health ( except a little higher blood-pressure)

Please call: 02-2873761 in Bangkok. It's the number of DHV, a Thai/German organization in Bangkok, where I'm a member. Had sent an e-mail to them already that they're aware.

Please call them immediately. They speak Thai,English and German. Good luck.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

if he is type B+ (or AB+) he can receive B+ or B-. type B is rarer among western people.

(only 8.5% and 8% of the populations in the US and UK) but much higher incidence in Asia..

closer to 25% of the population. i'm B+ and have donated in the past, but sick now so

cannot. good luck.. hope some good people come to help.

Edited by tigergrl

Homosexuals have been allowed to donate for a few years now (at least according to the guidelines at the Red Cross Centre in Bangkok), so don't let that hold you back.

British people (anyone who has spent longer than 6 months in the UK from sometime in the late 80s to the mid-90s - I forget the exact dates) cannot donate though (again this is true at the Bangkok Red Cross, so I assume nationwide; it's because of the risk of nvCJD - same as the guidelines in the US - not sure about the whole country, but certainly New York).

Homosexuals have been allowed to donate for a few years now (at least according to the guidelines at the Red Cross Centre in Bangkok), so don't let that hold you back.

British people (anyone who has spent longer than 6 months in the UK from sometime in the late 80s to the mid-90s - I forget the exact dates) cannot donate though (again this is true at the Bangkok Red Cross, so I assume nationwide; it's because of the risk of nvCJD - same as the guidelines in the US - not sure about the whole country, but certainly New York).

NOT TRUE -- TOTALLY FALSE

Been to the Red Cross in Chiang Mai 5 months ago , wanted to donate and was to sign a document with the rules.

One of the rules on that paper was that you could not have had sex with same gender.

Ok - I'm happy to be corrected if that is the case.

As far as I was aware, the previous lifetime ban on donation by men who have sex with men was lifted in 2008. It is obviously still possible to be rejected for meeting time-limited criteria high-risk criteria ("In the past x months have you.........?"), but that is different to rejecting people based on evidence of sexual orientation.

I called the hospital this morning and somebody from blood office said 'we got enough blood for the guy'. i was like 'ok.'

She said if i still want to donate, just go to Chiang Mai Red Cross. i was like 'ok.'

I"m so happy "your like ok' .biggrin.png

• Like 1

Ok - I'm happy to be corrected if that is the case.

As far as I was aware, the previous lifetime ban on donation by men who have sex with men was lifted in 2008. It is obviously still possible to be rejected for meeting time-limited criteria high-risk criteria ("In the past x months have you.........?"), but that is different to rejecting people based on evidence of sexual orientation.

You make no sense at all.

Read that again and you will see you made a VERY discriminating and bigoted remark.

I'm done here.

As I said, if you are sure that in order to donate blood you "could not have had sex with the same gender", then I am happy to stand corrected. I am simply saying that it is my understanding that the lifetime ban is no longer in place and that the stipulation you refer to probably applies only over the past 6 months or 12 months or whatever.

If I am correct, then I don't think that that is a bigoted approach. It simply recognises two very obvious facts (and you must remember that these guidelines have to cover 60 million Thai people plus any visitors who choose to donate in Thailand, so they clearly won't apply perfectly to everyone):

(1) that men who have sex with men are strongly over-represented in the HIV epidemic in Thailand; therefore, each time you have sex with a randomly selected gay/bisexual man in Thailand, you are on average more likely to be exposed to HIV than if you have sex with a randomly selected woman.

(2) many gay men are not continuously sexually active. If you have not had sex for the past 18 months for example, that doesn't mean you've suddenly stopped being gay, but it may mean that you fall into a lower (and acceptable) risk category for blood donation.

Under a lifetime ban, conversely, if you have ever had sex with another man, you would be excluded from donating for life - which to me seems both unjust and wasteful.

Donors' Qualifications:

1. 17-70 years of age

it's for obvious reasons it not? much higher chance of HIV for homosexuals and IV drug users.

Donors' Qualifications:

1. 17-70 years of age

Yeah you got that right.

I called the hospital this morning and somebody from blood office said 'we got enough blood for the guy'. i was like 'ok.'

She said if i still want to donate, just go to Chiang Mai Red Cross. i was like 'ok.'

I"m so happy "your like ok' .biggrin.png

At least she contacted the hospital to see if she could help which I think is ok.