Vorayuth hit-and-run case seen as reflection of inequality in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I will ever understand the Thai legal system. When the police/courts are actively pursuing a case and the defendant requests numerous postponements, I would think that the logical thing to do is extend the statute of limitations by the length of the postponements requested and granted. And what about indicting someone 'in absentia'? A person is not 'prejudiced' by an indictment, the next step is for the person to plead 'innocent' or 'guilty'. As I understand the issue of 'statute of limitations', it was designed to protect a person's due process rights and the right to a speedy trial -- not the other way around.

• Like 2

After an article like that the NYT are in real danger of facing a law suite for tarnishing Thailands image.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before the NY Times is banned from Thailand newsstands?

I don't think I will ever understand the Thai legal system. When the police/courts are actively pursuing a case and the defendant requests numerous postponements, I would think that the logical thing to do is extend the statute of limitations by the length of the postponements requested and granted. And what about indicting someone 'in absentia'? A person is not 'prejudiced' by an indictment, the next step is for the person to plead 'innocent' or 'guilty'. As I understand the issue of 'statute of limitations', it was designed to protect a person's due process rights and the right to a speedy trial -- not the other way around.

Logical? Tit.

It's illogical, immoral, and any other negative feeling you can come up with to understand this pig of a legal system.

All red bull products should be shunned, the guy and his father who is shielding him no doubt, should be hounded wherever they go. There should be large public cursing rituals, and black magic mumbo jumbo to invoke the ghost of the murdered policeman to chase them.

Personally I do not know how to use Facebook but why do the young computer kids not get onto the social internet things and tell everyone - could even boycott the Red Bull product

Why a boycott? The company and its employees has nothing to do with this. In fact a large chunk of the company is Austrian owned.

Instead, why not boycott Ferrari?

The family is the sole importer of Ferrari vehicles into Thailand.

I don't know why the media emphasizes Red Bull and not Ferrari.

I suggest you and others refuse to purchase Ferrari products in thailand. that will hurt the family, including the relatives and dealership employees who have nothing to do with the alleged crime more than a boycott of red Bull.

cheers

Great idea! That will really hurt the family. I will not buy a Ferrari.

Stupid suggestion! How many people on TV have enough money to even dream of buying a Ferrari?

• Like 1

This story is making its way around the world press, I have read it on a couple of news sites now. Its a shame that even then it wont be enough of an embarrassment to the Thai Gov to step in and do something. Until the world shames Thailand enough to change it will never happen. Unfortunately the majority of the population in Thailand believe this is how things work and dont know any different. The only way things will change from with in, is with better education and that will take generations.

+1

A quick google search shows this being covered in many nations.

There are probably more people in this forum that care about this tweeker and the inequality of the Thai justice system than in all of the rest of the world combined.

I have some nagging questions.

When will the other charges also pass the time limit for him to be prosecuted?

Will an international arrest warrant be issued and extradition be requested? (Doubt it)

Will the tweaker return before or after Thaksin and that rich monk?

Will Dubai be the tweaker's next destination and home for a few years?

After an article like that the NYT are in real danger of facing a law suite for tarnishing Thailands image.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before the NY Times is banned from Thailand newsstands?

It's about time too that The Economist magazine does some more coverage on this story, than it has hitherto." Comparative systems of accountability and justice in Southeast Asia". Would make a rivetting aricle!

Yeah its not really a 'reflection of the inequality' at all, every nation on Earth has inequality in spades. This is not about inequality, just as the 2010 riots and subsequent elections were never about inequality either although that was played out 24/7 as the main theme.

This is all about Corruption, pure and simple. Thailand needs a strong Law & Order PM, a real mad axeman who cuts up the rotting root&branch corruption wherever s/he sees it, and strikes terror into the hearts of larcenists and mafioso families etc. I'm not talking about small bribes at low level, I mean Thailand needs to clean house at the very top, and have powerful legal engine that doesn't play around at all, especially in cases agains rich+powerful people. It is not an untruth to say that until the day Thailand gets a PM who is 100% riding on a Corruption-busting platform AND s/he is totally day & night devoted to seeing it happen, this country will go NOwhere but DOWN.

coffee1.gif

Now tell us how this is going to happen?

All red bull products should be shunned, the guy and his father who is shielding him no doubt, should be hounded wherever they go. There should be large public cursing rituals, and black magic mumbo jumbo to invoke the ghost of the murdered policeman to chase them.

Personally I do not know how to use Facebook but why do the young computer kids not get onto the social internet things and tell everyone - could even boycott the Red Bull product

Why a boycott? The company and its employees has nothing to do with this. In fact a large chunk of the company is Austrian owned.

Instead, why not boycott Ferrari?

The family is the sole importer of Ferrari vehicles into Thailand.

I don't know why the media emphasizes Red Bull and not Ferrari.

I suggest you and others refuse to purchase Ferrari products in thailand. that will hurt the family, including the relatives and dealership employees who have nothing to do with the alleged crime more than a boycott of red Bull.

cheers

Great idea! That will really hurt the family. I will not buy a Ferrari.

Stupid suggestion! How many people on TV have enough money to even dream of buying a Ferrari?

I mean I can go take a huge piss in front of the Maserati dealership on Viphawadee but that wont damage business one bit.

And is the Singaporean Governement planning to let him hide in Singapore just because he is one of the rest of foreign expats with money that the PAP government likes. The locals there should sya and do something.

is he in singapore ?

This story is making its way around the world press, I have read it on a couple of news sites now. Its a shame that even then it wont be enough of an embarrassment to the Thai Gov to step in and do something. Until the world shames Thailand enough to change it will never happen. Unfortunately the majority of the population in Thailand believe this is how things work and dont know any different. The only way things will change from with in, is with better education and that will take generations.

+1

A quick google search shows this being covered in many nations.

What is forgotten by those who call on the 'the world' to 'shame' Thailand is that by the far the majority of citizens around the world would consider this kind of case as being far from unusual. Such corruption is a feature of the majority of countries in this world.

I think what you guys are really getting at is a desire to see countries with a better established sense of western morality teach Johnny 'Heathen' Foreigner a ruddy good lesson in right and wrong. Is that nearer the mark?

And is the Singaporean Governement planning to let him hide in Singapore just because he is one of the rest of foreign expats with money that the PAP government likes. The locals there should sya and do something.

is he in singapore ?

Anybody seen any reports whatever since Monday (when it was reported he didn't show for the fifth time / he was in Singapore with a doctor's certificate)?

• 2 weeks later...

quote: "But in a case that has been described as a test of whether the rich and influential in Thailand enjoy more leniency than others, critics say the system is so far coming up short."

You do not have to test this, because the inequality and injustice are so in your face in this particular case, it is shocking.

We have to add though, that in western countries a similar case would probably have exactly the same outcome.

In western countries, the handling of a case like this, very hypocritically, happens behind closed doors under the pretence of decency and moral, with exactly the same outcome.

Abroad they would handle this, with a bit more, what they would call tact.

For anyone thinking that there is equality and justice outside of Thailand, think again.

This is a world wide phenomenon, not just a Thai.

• 2 weeks later...

quote: "But in a case that has been described as a test of whether the rich and influential in Thailand enjoy more leniency than others, critics say the system is so far coming up short."

You do not have to test this, because the inequality and injustice are so in your face in this particular case, it is shocking.

We have to add though, that in western countries a similar case would probably have exactly the same outcome.

In western countries, the handling of a case like this, very hypocritically, happens behind closed doors under the pretence of decency and moral, with exactly the same outcome.

Abroad they would handle this, with a bit more, what they would call tact.

For anyone thinking that there is equality and justice outside of Thailand, think again.

This is a world wide phenomenon, not just a Thai.

I don't know, where you are from , but do you care to point out, in which western country the following would happen:

a guy gets drunk

a guy get's drunk and coked up (and I am not talking about a brown fizzy soft drink)

a guy get;s drunk and coked up and get's into a car

a guy get;s drunk and coked up and get's into a car and speeds down an innercity road at 120 odd km/h

a guy get;s drunk and coked up and get's into a car and speeds down an innercity road at 120 odd km/h and runs over a cop

a guy get;s drunk and coked up and get's into a car and speeds down an innercity road at 120 odd km/h and runs over a cop and drags him some 200 meters down the road under his car

a guy get;s drunk and coked up and get's into a car and speeds down an innercity road at 120 odd km/h and runs over a cop and drags him some 200 meters down the road under his car and doesn't stop for help, or to call help or to help by himself

a guy get;s drunk and coked up and get's into a car and speeds down an innercity road at 120 odd km/h and runs over a cop and drags him some 200 meters down the road under his car and doesn't stop for help, or to call help or to help by himself but leaving the cop to die

a guy get;s drunk and coked up and get's into a car and speeds down an innercity road at 120 odd km/h and runs over a cop and drags him some 200 meters down the road under his car and doesn't stop for help, or to call help or to help by himself but leaving the cop to die and drives home to fix an alibi and find a scapegoat

a guy get;s drunk and coked up and get's into a car and speeds down an innercity road at 120 odd km/h and runs over a cop and drags him some 200 meters down the road under his car and doesn't stop for help, or to call help or to help by himself but leaving the cop to die and drives home to fix an alibi and find a scapegoat, thus presenting false evidence

a guy get;s drunk and coked up and get's into a car and speeds down an innercity road at 120 odd km/h and runs over a cop and drags him some 200 meters down the road under his car and doesn't stop for help, or to call help or to help by himself but leaving the cop to die and drives home to fix an alibi and find a scapegoat, thus presenting false evidence and tries to bribe a hi- rank cop

a guy get;s drunk and coked up and get's into a car and speeds down an innercity road at 120 odd km/h and runs over a cop and drags him some 200 meters down the road under his car and doesn't stop for help, or to call help or to help by himself but leaving the cop to die and drives home to fix an alibi and find a scapegoat, thus presenting false evidence and tries to bribe a hi- rank cop and on top of that fails to show up at any police station at anytime he is summoned....

Did I forget anything?

Which western country are you talking about, where all this would have the same outcome (behind closed doors) as here?

He dodged about 30 charges by western standards.

Fixing the alibi would be worth a couple of years alone.

• Like 1

Terrible, how can he sleep at night, knowing what he done ???

probably sleeps very well

Correct. In Thailand people are proud of their connections. It will give them a certain status. Getting away with murder is nothing to keep you awake at night. It's something to be proud of. It means that you have an untouchable status ie, a lot of respect.

Welcome to Thailand (and remember, ONLY money talks).

He's rich and drives a fats car so he's already somebody but when he escapes all of this he'll be the complete Jack the Lad at all his favourite nightspots and it will be an honour to be seen in his company let alone be able to call him friend.

He'll carry this on throughout life and if he ever has children will pass the same attitude on to them, " don't worry about getting into trouble, dad will make it all go away ".

Got to agree I see the wealthy Bangkokonians kids down in my Condo on the beach (start price 7 million) they come down for the weekend spend all the time on their balconies shouting drinking smoking, stay up all night, keep everyone awake then go back to BKK Sunday.

From my balcony I often throw full bottles of water on them at night to shut them up, they cant see me but sometimes get security to call the Police to find out who the evil doer is.

They have no respect for anyone.

• Like 1

Our western legal system evolved from the need to tame wild justice that was tearing apart early civilization. Justice as we know it dates back to sixth century B.C. Athens with the genius of Solon. Poet, philosopher, soldier, merchant, practical economist as well as social critic he came to power in revolutionary times with a mission to put an end to the cycles of retaliatory violence that had plagued Greece for centuries. Athens wanted peace and order, and turned to the man who had communicated his vision of social order and the need for justice through his poetry.

Solon laid the foundation for a democratic system of justice through the first of a series of constitutions that gave birth to democracy. He instituted changes and established a legal code thate brokered a non-violent social revolution and transformed the passion for vengeance into a justice system. This system was based on rule of and equality before the law, a redistribution of power through law, and resolution of conflict through a public court system with juries of peers in an adversarial process before the presiding judge. Religion was separated from the administration of justice for the first time in human history. Solon converted private revenge into public justice. He harnessed wild justice and made it a central part of democracy.

So is it inevitable that revenge will become the order of the day in thailand? I guess so.

All it seems here is that the authorities don't give a sh*t about the fact that a law enforcing officer was killed. But all they care abt is the $$$$ in their accounts and cars they can have.

Normally a person who has killed a cop faces more pressure but not in LOS. It't all money talks. The souls of such people have no chance and would rot in hell.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I very much like the concept of perverting the course of justice, and also an obligation placed on profesionals to HAVE to report illegal activity if they know about it. Until they break down this idea that it is ok to lie to courts and the police to help someone out, nothing will change.

This whole thai legal charade and nonsense carries on because everyone lies. He has a cold. Now, if he didn't have a cold, and his lawyer has made a public statement that he did, he is liable to be prosecuted. It is quite an unfunny joke.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Interesting in the other paper.

The first bit of social commentary of how bad it is that this kids can run away is from Chuwit.

This is something when the only moral voice over such an issue comes from a former pimp. How low must all the other polticians be?

I suppose any country where pimps are moralists, police are crooks, civil servants (e.g. politicians) are self serving and monks are con artists deserves to call itself amazing....!

• Like 2

Interesting in the other paper.

The first bit of social commentary of how bad it is that this kids can run away is from Chuwit.

This is something when the only moral voice over such an issue comes from a former pimp. How low must all the other polticians be?

I suppose any country where pimps are moralists, police are crooks, civil servants (e.g. politicians) are self serving and monks are con artists deserves to call itself amazing....!

Well, Chuwit has an American wife doesn't he? Something must have rubbed off, because the silence from just about everyone is deafening. How can not ONE MP in the parliament have ANYTHING to say about it? Not a word, not a peep. Yuck yuck, disgusting system

Christopher G. Moore has a good book called "Faking it in Bangkok". Vorayuth is an Elephant and the dead cop is an Ant, just like all of us reading and contributing here.

When we scury around and bother the Elephant, he steps on us and we are crushed and the others close by scatter.

There is no OJ comparison, the more time elapses, the less likely any other outcome. The family has their $100,000, that is the apparent worth of their dead son to the Elephant.

I wonder how many of the poor and downtrodden (or TV soapboxsters for that matter) would choose NOT to switch places with this monster? All it takes is a dumptruck of merit and a half decent PR firm to wipe the slate clean after all. From the top to the bottom of society, it's the defacto fix.

1%? .01%? .001%?