Water tank issue

yourauntbob

On Saturday I noticed that the walkway in front of our house was disturbed. The brick/tiles where in-caved a bit but didnt think too much of it. Then on Sunday when I went outside to throw away the trash the complex had removed the tiles and below where they were was a giant hole filled with muddy water. Throughout the day I saw a group of people working on it and noticed some excitement from time to time as muddy water would shoot up about 10 ft in the air and onto the street.

Later that afternoon I start noticing that the water coming out of the taps and toilets is a bit murky. Upon further examination I see it has a light brown tint to it. This has now been going on for a bout 2 days. The missus called the complex front office and they said they are done with their work. It seems that some of the mud made its way into our pipes and most likely is now in our water tank outside. So here are my questions.

Would draining the water tank be a good idea? I think so but have never really dealt with these things before.

How would this be done? I see a bold looking thing on the bottom, I assume that I would need to turn off the water supply and then take off the bolt, once it drains put back the bolt and turn on the water.

Is there any better way?

Am I missing something?

Personally I would like to see the service workers that fixed the pipe do this but missus auntbob says its not their job. fair enough, but they do work for the complex which does work for us. cant we just give them a few baht tip and be done with it? apparently she says no so i am living with tainted water.

Two options; leaving as-is and the heavier sediments will settle in the tank and the water will wash out any dirt in the new water main. This may work until such time as there's another water supply drama and the sediments get stirred up. Or, as you suggested, crack the drain on the bottom of the tank and get most of the sediment out before refilling the tank. However, I would wait a week to make sure the new water main is flushed pretty clear. If you cant' wait, be prepared to do the total tank drain weekly until the water at the faucets and toilet cistern stay clean.

If your house has wall-mounted, hot water shower units, check the filters on the inlet side as they will block up quickly with sediment and other muck. Same goes for the aerators (the fine mesh fitting on the outlets of internal faucets), as they will also block up with sediment really quickly. Once again, you can remove these weekly to assess the amount of contamination.

I would recommend one of those 2-cartridge, faucet-fitting water filters on the kitchen sink as well as I assume that's where the dishes get washed? These units cost less than 1000 baht from Big-C or Tesco. No need to get anything fancier or more expensive at this juncture but pick up a couple of (each) of the filter elements as you may need to change them frequently before the water is clear.

• Like 1

I had that problem several times. They always get mud in there. I have a system where I use the water from the main WHEN it is working and use the water from the tank when it is not. I am changing this to all the water going into the tank first. Last time they got rocks in the pipe. I had one lodged in a 90 degree turn in the wallsad.png Had to break out the wall to fix. Yes, you can remove the plug at the bottom---- be sure you have someplace for that water to go.

• Like 1

Two options; leaving as-is and the heavier sediments will settle in the tank and the water will wash out any dirt in the new water main. This may work until such time as there's another water supply drama and the sediments get stirred up. Or, as you suggested, crack the drain on the bottom of the tank and get most of the sediment out before refilling the tank. However, I would wait a week to make sure the new water main is flushed pretty clear. If you cant' wait, be prepared to do the total tank drain weekly until the water at the faucets and toilet cistern stay clean.

If your house has wall-mounted, hot water shower units, check the filters on the inlet side as they will block up quickly with sediment and other muck. Same goes for the aerators (the fine mesh fitting on the outlets of internal faucets), as they will also block up with sediment really quickly. Once again, you can remove these weekly to assess the amount of contamination.

I would recommend one of those 2-cartridge, faucet-fitting water filters on the kitchen sink as well as I assume that's where the dishes get washed? These units cost less than 1000 baht from Big-C or Tesco. No need to get anything fancier or more expensive at this juncture but pick up a couple of (each) of the filter elements as you may need to change them frequently before the water is clear.

Sincere thanks for the info and advise.

hi bob,

you could take out the plug at the bottom, and as long as you have somewere for the water to go away from your house, even if you have to put a hose pipe on there,

leave your water on that is conected to the tank and just let it flush the tank out that way, that way your not getting all the sediment running into your house pipework,

jake

• Like 1

A thought, if you have a hose you could make a DIY tank vacuum cleaner with a broomstick and said hose.

Tape the hose to the broomstick and place inside the tank near the settled sand. Start a syphon action in the usual way (suck on the other end of the hose). You should be able to vacuum out the sand without losing too much water :)

Oh.....and when you drain the tank to clean out the gunk, don't waste the water. Turn off the mains and then wash the car and bikes, hose down the house and fences, water the lawn/garden, give the soi dogs a bath, whatever!

Smart move :)