Which Are The Best Seedbox Hosting Services. Good Service. Good Price. Etc.

OldChinaHam

What are the top Seedbox companies one should look at to find great service, and a very reasonable price?

Also, need dedicated server if possible.

NEXT: What is the best way to switch from one company to another while moving data. Problem is that this will only work when the server becomes connectable again. I think the seedbox company I am using died.

They rarely answer any emails anyway.

But now it seems they really are in some sort of black hole from which nothing reaches our world, not even light escapes, I think.

Thank you.

I need to switch today if possible.

THANK YOU

Managed: Feral Hosting; Whatbox.

Dedicated: OVH - Kimsufi (you will need to be familiar with the Linux command line).

I believe Feral and Whatbox will move your old data over if you ask them. If an unmanaged dedi, you'll have to do it yourself using something like rsync.

• Like 1

There are a lot of local (Thailand) seedbox companies which offer cost-effective services, with the added benefit of being in Thailand so you can download quite quickly. The downside is that there are here so you may be farther from sourced files. Depending on your application requirements a local seedbox may represent a significant value.

• Like 1

Seed.ST is pretty cheap. From $6 a month. And works well.

https://seed.st/seedbox

So, thanks a lot Lite Beer.

I just registered a simple USD10/mo seedbox. It set up instantly as they state in their website.

Absolutely no learning curve.

Just start using.

But I do notice that the speeds seem quite slow compared to what I am used to.

I think I am getting about 1MB to 3MB per second download, so far.

This may change as I fool around with it doing up and downloading of different torrents.

Again, thank you, because this is one of the best values for the money, and you are provided with 225 GB of HD space for 10USD per month. That is a REAL BARGAIN.

So you see,

It really does pay to use TVF!

I am now saving USD10 per month over the black hole I have been using until today, and I have HD space of 225 GB instead of 150 GB with the other black hole company.

NICE JOB!

Lite Beer

Edited by OldChinaHam

Glad you found something good. I use to have seedmonster and someone from the forum slapped me upside the head and recommended feral. 10 quid a month and a real bargain also, very happy with them and comes with VPN also. Seed.st look just as comparable though. FYI I'm on PC and use cuteftp and max out my 12Mb speed for download from the box. Never seen filezilla compare to that speed.

Glad you found something good. I use to have seedmonster and someone from the forum slapped me upside the head and recommended feral. 10 quid a month and a real bargain also, very happy with them and comes with VPN also. Seed.st look just as comparable though. FYI I'm on PC and use cuteftp and max out my 12Mb speed for download from the box. Never seen filezilla compare to that speed.

Yes, this was a big help provided by Lite Beer.

I really do not need too much high performance.

I care most about reliability and no down time.

After a couple hours, and very easy or NOT SETUP, speed acceptable.

And I can't use the full ftp download speed of any of the boxes because the network I am on here in Thailand is set for max 3Mbps. Speed is not an option I have here, obviously.

Thank you again for the suggestions.

There are a lot of local (Thailand) seedbox companies which offer cost-effective services, with the added benefit of being in Thailand so you can download quite quickly. The downside is that there are here so you may be farther from sourced files. Depending on your application requirements a local seedbox may represent a significant value.

Can you make recommendations on local ones. I have thought about it, I do have a seedbox at feral hosting but it does not do much for uploading since my home line maxes out at 1Mbps. I have about 16TB that I would eventually like to move up, but it would take a long long long long long long time.

I have been eyeing setting up a hosted computer at nettree.co.th but have not contacted them yet - maybe in a few months. It would be nice if the co-location place gives you access to swap the drives out for others once uploads are done. Never had a problem with downloads, I have downloaded around 10TB over the last 6 months or so.

I have been eyeing setting up a hosted computer at nettree.co.th but have not contacted them yet - maybe in a few months. It would be nice if the co-location place gives you access to swap the drives out for others once uploads are done.

I think most of the local hosting/seedbox service providers here allow for HDD swaps.

Maybe have a Thai friend trawl the local tech/social forums to get a feel for the best provider for your requirements? They can use "colo" as if it were a Thai word.

I am on Feralhosting.com.

Recently they upgraded me to a new server with 20% more disk space

and moved the data over.

The price did not change

Excellent service all round with a choice of torrent apps to use

I use rtorrent.

@DDDave try google................ :whistling:

Can someone give a simple explanation of what a "Seedbox" is and what it is used for?

My only experience with one is for growing tomatoes.

Thanks

A seedbox is (usually) a Linux or Debian box that is on a high speed connection (1Gbps up/down) that is used for seeding and leeching (uploading /downloading) torrents (tv shows / movies / music) from other users. They are usually used in conjunction with private trackers where you have to maintain a ratio of 1:1 (or close to it) of uploads to downloads. There can be two reasons why this is advantageous: 1. It is way easier and quicker to build / maintain a good ratio - thereby able to download much more; 2. it hides your home IP address from companies that are trying to prying eyes which is much more important in countries like UK and US these days.

Can someone give a simple explanation of what a "Seedbox" is and what it is used for?

Thanks

A seedbox is (usually) a Linux or Debian box that is on a high speed connection (1Gbps up/down) that is used for seeding and leeching (uploading /downloading) torrents (tv shows / movies / music) from other users. They are usually used in conjunction with private trackers where you have to maintain a ratio of 1:1 (or close to it) of uploads to downloads. There can be two reasons why this is advantageous: 1. It is way easier and quicker to build / maintain a good ratio - thereby able to download much more; 2. it hides your home IP address from companies that are trying to prying eyes which is much more important in countries like UK and US these days.

Very nice explanation.

NOW, what are the things that people usually want to seed from a seedbox?

This I am not too sure about. I suppose that companies could use them to provide video and marketing information to anyone.

Do you have a breakdown, or where can we get a breakdown, of the top 10 types of data that are seeded from these seedboxes.

Some of these seedboxes are very expensive to run, in monthly costs, so how do people make their money off them?

This is a more interesting question than the others asked here, from a "curiosity" point of view.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Seed.ST is pretty cheap. From $6 a month. And works well.

https://seed.st/seedbox

Again, Lite Beer, THANK YOU much for suggesting this option.

I have used it now for about 24 hours, and even though the speed is not super fast, I like the ease of use, the 225 GB of HDD, the unlimited bytes up or down, AND THE PRICE!

Really, for us who do not have deep pockets, or who choose not to spend much on a seedbox, but who want to benefit from most of the seedbox benefits, this seems one of the best choices.

Thanks!

(And, I will not be planting tomatoes in this seedbox, I think.)

Edited by OldChinaHam

Thanks

Very nice explanation.

NOW, what are the things that people usually want to seed from a seedbox?

This I am not too sure about. I suppose that companies could use them to provide video and marketing information to anyone.

Do you have a breakdown, or where can we get a breakdown, of the top 10 types of data that are seeded from these seedboxes.

Some of these seedboxes are very expensive to run, in monthly costs, so how do people make their money off them?

This is a more interesting question than the others asked here, from a "curiosity" point of view.

Can be pretty well any media. Could be recent TV shows (HD), could be classic TV shows (Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie), HD (bluray) movies, or classic TV movies like Hitchcock. Most people get the lower end of the seedboxes, some enthusiasts will get bigger boxes. Yes, they may seem expensive -- but then these same people often are not buying more expensive cable packages. My cable bill a decade ago was $80+ a month..... I do have cable again, but only because it only costs around $3 / month (analogue).

And I am not restricted to old borders, I watch US, Canada, UK, or Australian TV.

Edited by cacruden

• 5 months later...

Ok well Feral turned out to be a pile of <deleted>.

Crap speeds blamed on "Cogent" (?) or something. Thankfully, only took a month contract so only down by a tenner thumbsup.gif

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new seedbox provider.

Speed is my chief priority. I've got a 50Mbps DOCSIS connection with True that needs maxing out.

I'd especially appreciate recommendations from anyone with a similar connection (DOCSIS) and a track record with a seedbox company.

Many thanks

Ok well Feral turned out to be a pile of <deleted>.

Crap speeds blamed on "Cogent" (?) or something. Thankfully, only took a month contract so only down by a tenner thumbsup.gif

Feral moved their datacenter from the UK to the Netherlands towards the end of last year (just days after I signed up for six months with them). The service was then down for a full month. (The move was only supposed to take 3-4 days.) When they eventually came back they still had enormous problems with connectivity. Sounds like their still having problems.

To their credit, they gave me a full refund without question. For people who stayed they compensated for the timeout.

There is in my mind, however, a question as to the long term survivability of the company.

I stuck with Feral through their move, nightmare that was for them.

Seems to be pretty much back to normal now, downloading torrents now at 7Gbps (yes that's a G, even their cheapest box comes with a 10Gbps download speed), FTP using Free Download Manager fills my 7Mbps pipe in Thailand.

The downtime cannot have done them any good, but since I'm only paying a month or two at once it's not going to break the bank if they vanish without trace.

Seems to be pretty much back to normal now, downloading torrents now at 7Gbps (yes that's a G, even their cheapest box comes with a 10Gbps download speed), FTP using Free Download Manager fills my 7Mbps pipe in Thailand.

The downtime cannot have done them any good, but since I'm only paying a month or two at once it's not going to break the bank if they vanish without trace.

7Mbps is rather slow for my requirements.

The most I managed with Feral using CuteFTP was 13-14Mbps which is less than 2 MB/sec.

Anybody have experience with Whatbox?

The most I managed with Feral using CuteFTP was 13-14Mbps which is less than 2 MB/sec.

He means he has 7Mbit connection and can max 7Mbit connection using this seedbox. It doesn't mean max. speed you'll get via ftp is 7Mbit.

He means he has 7Mbit connection and can max 7Mbit connection using this seedbox. It doesn't mean max. speed you'll get via ftp is 7Mbit.

I realise that