Anyone in Phnom Penh now? What's the outlook?

Sheryl

I'm scheduled to fly in Sunday, the major demonstration of course is planned for Saturday and I'm hearing from Khmer friends & family that the situation has very much worsened in the past 24 hours or so and looks really dicey.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone currently there on their take, i.e. odds of the airport being open on Sunday etc.

Very quiet so far. Of course nobody knows what will happen (Embassies are sending out warnings to their citizens to stay away from the demonstrations) but it is the ruling party that has the police and soldiers in its pocket; the opposition can only posture.

I'm now told the opposition is taking steps to reduce the risk of a violent crackdown: as follows:

" the opposition has now changed its strategy from holding a mass demonstration nationwide to a peaceful demonstration in an allowed location only in the capital. The demonstration will be held peacefully in one location (freedom park) with limited participants and all participants will bring with them only candle/incense. While at freedom park, participants will sit quietly, praying (meditation) for peace and justice."

That of course is no guarantee, as those of us who were there in 1998 remember all too well. But let us hope.

Anyhow sounds like I have a good shot of getting in OK.

I'm now told the opposition is taking steps to reduce the risk of a violent crackdown: as follows:

" the opposition has now changed its strategy from holding a mass demonstration nationwide to a peaceful demonstration in an allowed location only in the capital. The demonstration will be held peacefully in one location (freedom park) with limited participants and all participants will bring with them only candle/incense. While at freedom park, participants will sit quietly, praying (meditation) for peace and justice."

That of course is no guarantee, as those of us who were there in 1998 remember all too well. But let us hope.

The big difference is that it i indeed not 1997 (not 1998). I just wished all the fear mongering would stop.

The big difference is that it i indeed not 1997 (not 1998). I just wished all the fear mongering would stop.

I specifically meant 1998, not 1997. Referring to the demonstrations post elections then (which were violently cracked down on, with many fatalities), and not to the 1997 coup , which was indeed an utterly different situation, with 2 armed groups facing off. Obviously the only armed entity in all this now is the govt.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahem.....

What you referred to as "fear mongering" was I think realistic concerns by people who have lived through this in the past (i.e. the Cambodian people and long-term expats such as myself).

It is indeed starting to look like 1998 redux (yes, '98, not '97. Different years, different events). Not surprising given same basic situation and cast of characters.

Im here now. Sunday was a bit hairy and at least one died, but frankly it was nothing compared to Bangkok 2010.

It's very easy to stay away from it if you want to.

Rainsy told his supporters to go home yesterday, and the city is quiet today, although the remnants of the razor wire barricades are still around the place.

Yes, I know, I'm also here. Know one of the people shot, he's a friend of my niece.

I would call the situatioin on the bridge Sunday night considerably more than "a bit hairy" (have family in Chbar Ampov) but yes, it was confined to the bridge and that one night.

now suddenly canadia bank set daily ATM cash limit for all cards withdrawl to only 150$ per day by overnight without public notice nationwide.

Some people reported that 3-4 weeks ago so I don't see how that is related to last week's events?

FTB charges 4 $ , evil aussie anz charges 5$ per withdraw from atm.

only canadia bank atm charge no fees at all.....

according to managers , it seems that evil cina bank debts spread to their overseas operations, canadia 's now partly controlled by red bankof cina, working in the same office tower...

canadia 's master 's now lack of running cash for operation globally, evil red bubbles spread to canadia' normal operation....it's really a terrible news for travellers or pentioners to cambodia,

moron minded tourists on package tour won't care for it

150$ per day is enough, in cambodia very few place accept card payment yet, while in vietnam india lanka singapore malaysia indoensia intl. travellers can survive on payment by visa card always, even in phnom penh supermarket 's checkpout cashier, your goods must be valued more than 5$ then can go through via visa card.

I'm not having any problems withdrawing from FTB and ANZ ATMs.

now suddenly canadia bank set daily ATM cash limit for all cards withdrawl to only 150$ per day by overnight without public notice nationwide.

Some people reported that 3-4 weeks ago so I don't see how that is related to last week's events?

3-4 weeks before, the time which's post election period...now political situation gets more weired.

now expatriates living in cambodia relying canadia bank can not buy motor bike or car at good deal any more, you can't pay full amount , then there's no good deal.....

so the out look of cambodia could be difficult at least for banking sectors now...

FTB charges 4 $ , evil aussie anz charges 5$ per withdraw from atm.

only canadia bank atm charge no fees at all.....

I'm not having any problems withdrawing from FTB and ANZ ATMs.

That's for using ATM to withdraw froim abroad. They don't charge me a thing to withdraw from my loacl ANZ and FTB bank accounts.

If you're going to be in Camb for any length of time, well worth it to open a local bank accoutn and do a single incoming wire transfer.

more cambodia banks set spending limit lower than before election, directly making international travellers spending less, that's not good for economy and tourism related individual khmer business...

where, pray tell did this come from??

Never heard of this reasoning before

I would venture to guess, most travellers arrive with plentyof $$ to cover ther stay, ( or are on a pre paid vaction as most koreans, japanese. Chinese are) plus credit cards.

very few places accpect visa or credit card pos payment. even in place offering pos machines(such as 4-5 star hotel or travel agent), you'll have to pay 3% more for your bill .....

due to financial crisis of he world, those tourists on prepaid tours spend less suddenly as their banks set daily spending limit as well unless they brought cash...

especially younger generations didn't notice the sudden change, without bring ing enough cash... their holidays could be ruined.....

anyway cambodia toursim related business who're serving them suffer sudden loss in this long chilly rainy season of 2013.

i have heard from friends in PP that they get $450/day with Canadia bank.

also how many "tourists" need more than $450/day to enjoy themsleves in Cambodia? I doubt out of the years i have travelled /lived there ( yes i lived in PP) and had a a car, i never spent more than $1,500/month and that included gas for the car when i travelled.

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill an will not affect 99.9% of people

PLUS if ur living there or whatever, all u need do is go INSIDE the bank with ur card and u can get plenty of $$, Dont need use the atm machine

if u go INSIDE the bank with ur card for cash withdraw ,u'll be charged at least 3% commission,

of course your friends already hold acount with canadia and candia atm, then surely they can get $450/day with Canadia bank.

all foreign cards can only get 150 per day.

before july election, no such limit at all

A CAMBODIAN prince has ended a hunger strike over disputed polls after military police expelled him from a pagoda where he was holding the protest fearing it would snowball.

Prince Sisowath Thomico - the cousin of King Norodom Sihamoni and a senior member of the opposition Cambodian National Rescue Party - said four hundred police in riot gear forced him to end his hunger strike in the capital Phnom Penh late Friday.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world-news/riot-police-end-princes-hunger-strike/story-fndir2ev-1226724465162#ixzz2fbbXZwjB

even in place offering pos machines(such as 4-5 star hotel or travel agent), you'll have to pay 3% more for your bill .....

That is news to me. I run a 5-star hotel and, like most of the 5-star hotels, we do not charge an additional fee for payments made by card.

This is simply not true.

I regularly use Canadia Bank to withdraw 200-300 from both my UK Barclays bank account and, closer to home, my Hong Kong Standard Chartered Bank account.

I withdrew $250 from the Canadia ATM on Norodom on Saturday, with no issues.

This is simply not true.

I regularly use Canadia Bank to withdraw 200-300 from both my UK Barclays bank account and, closer to home, my Hong Kong Standard Chartered Bank account.

are you working for canadia or other banks or financial institution in PP?they might know you well , then offer u special previledges over cam and grant u more .

This is simply not true.

are you working for canadia or other banks or financial institution in PP?they might know you well , then offer u special previledges over cam and grant u more .

I neither work for Canadia not any other bank. And I don't have an account with Canadia.

I repeat. There are no restrictions on withdrawing funds from these ATMs.