webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting to get silly now.

Time for a hubcap.

and there is this one they announced today also.

Authorities Plan Turning Prison Into Transport Hub

Why not turn the transport centers into prisons? You've already got, in one place:

- corrupt politicians involved in the construction

- corrupt policemen shaking down passengers for littering cigarette butts

- illegal street vendors

Just put a nice fence around it and you're done!

• Like 1

Challenges

However, there are some challenges that Thailand must overcome in order to be a regional logistics hub. It needs to address competition from other potential logistics hubs in the region. Singapore, which currently serves as a regional logistics hub for many companies in South East Asia, will be Thailand's number one competitor. It already has a well established air and ocean transport infrastructure. Singapore also has the busiest port in the region, with an annual capacity of around 20 million TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units). It also has a state-of-the art airport with good logistics support infrastructure and global connectivity. The country has a highly advanced information and communication network.

Malaysia is another major threat for Thailand in its pursuit to be the logistics hub of ASEAN. Malaysia is a rapidly developing nation with very good infrastructure in place. The country has five international airports and two seaports which offer state-of-the-art logistics support infrastructure including huge logistics parks within their vicinity. There is an excellent road network connecting all these major ports and government is trying to further spruce up the infrastructure.

In comparison, Thailand still lags behind Singapore and Malaysia in terms of infrastructure development. It may take a few more years before it becomes a viable alternative to Malaysia or Singapore. Political uncertainty and civil unrest in some provinces could slow the growth of infrastructure.

Besides, the logistics cost in Thailand is almost 20 percent of its gross domestic product (GDP). In comparison, Singapore and Malaysia's cost of logistics are about 8 percent and 13 percent of their GDPs respectively. Apart from the limitations in transportation and warehousing infrastructure, the communication and information networks in the country also need to evolve significantly to match those of its rival neighbors. Human resources is a big challenge for the logistics industry in Thailand. Identifying the right people to do the job and training and helping them to hone their skills needs a lot of investment from logistics companies.

FROM 2005......

http://www.logisticsdigest.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=281

And what has exactly changed since 2005? Any new major roads built? Nope. Any new major ports built? Nope. Any progress on the rail network? Nope. Any progress on finding a way to teach employees better skills to deal with international trade? Nope. So there we have it ladies and gentlemen. Not one significant bit of progress to becoming their logistics hub since, 2005.

• Like 2

Will they appoint the people who approved the bomb detectors - to top positions in that hub? Logistics, Thai style: Pay 55 times the asking price for something that's a complete sham. Or perhaps they'll just be the spokes on that hub.

Or perhaps Thailand can burnish its image by boasting about borrowing 2.2 trillion to pay for a speedy train that only a few rich people may use. ....while the train that regular people use - slips off its tracks every week or so.

Sorry to fail to add a joke, but I think these people really believe their shit. They really do believe they are the chosen few. Never mind that they are uneducated, can't speak English, don't have the rule of law, and as the old saying goes, "that's no way to run a railroad."

Not only won't they be the HUB of ASEAN, but I can't even see them fitting into it at all, or even allowing a reasonable attempt. TIT

Sorry to fail to add a joke, but I think these people really believe their shit. They really do believe they are the chosen few. Never mind that they are uneducated, can't speak English, don't have the rule of law, and as the old saying goes, "that's no way to run a railroad."

Not only won't they be the HUB of ASEAN, but I can't even see them fitting into it at all, or even allowing a reasonable attempt. TIT

If you were ever in Thailand you would know there are Kerry logistics trucks everywhere. I see at least 3 every day. Thailand is already a logistics hub.

Check out the meetings in Bangkok that are going on right now.

The 10th Thailand International Logistics Fair 2013

http://www.logisticsfair.com/seminars/

1. Number of Exhibitors 150 companies/ 329 booths

2. Participation Countries Thailand, ASEAN, Korea, Japan, China and India

3. Exhibition Area 9,600 sq.m. 9,600 sq.m.

4. Number of Visitors 9,157 10,000

5. Major Visiting Countries ASEAN, China, Japan, U.S.A., E.U., Taiwan, India and etc. ASEAN, South Asia, China, Japan, Taiwan, Middle East, India, U.S.A, Australia, E.U. and etc.

If you were ever in Thailand you would know there are Kerry logistics trucks everywhere. I see at least 3 every day. Thailand is already a logistics hub.

5. Major Visiting Countries ASEAN, China, Japan, U.S.A., E.U., Taiwan, India and etc. ASEAN, South Asia, China, Japan, Taiwan, Middle East, India, U.S.A, Australia, E.U. and etc.

Only 3 per day, how many Linfox trucks per day do you see, a dozen or more?

Anyway these are major international logistics and supply chain companies and probably have the monopoly in Thailand. Thailand can hardly take credit for the hard work these companies do and claim HUB status for itself.

Hub, two, three, four ... Thailand is surely a military hub too ? whistling.gif

Or is that a national secret ?

Hope i don't get my marching-orders ! laugh.png

Meanwhile how is the Chinese Hi-Speed freight-line, due for completion in 2015, going ? Or the long-promised expansion of Swampy ?

Perhaps time for a Hub of Transport-Queues ? wink.png

Only 3 per day, how many Linfox trucks per day do you see, a dozen or more?

Anyway these are major international logistics and supply chain companies and probably have the monopoly in Thailand. Thailand can hardly take credit for the hard work these companies do and claim HUB status for itself.

Who cares? Thailand could farm out all the brothel management to Kings Cross brothel managers and they would still be Thai brothels. Aren't all the cops in Hong Kong British trained but they are still Chinese cops eh?

maybe we can be a spoke in the hub? ....or the tread on the tire? Better than being a doormat.

I once had a session with this guy Nattawut, he could not speak or undertsand english properly and needed a translator plus I really think he lacks understanding any kind of business or strategic initiative. I really have doubts about his educational level and quality and how the hell is he holding this position.

Sounds about right, in a country where promotion is not based on skills, knowledge, or wisdom. Instead, promotions are based on a person's social standing and whether that person is able/willing to pay higher ups for promotions.

It's a similar reason why, top generals at Kru Sae and Tak Bai (during Thaksin's PM'ship) made bad decisions. And recently; the general who met with Thaksin, first denied he was there, and later claimed the tape was 'edited' said of himself; "I was suffering from a lot of stress, and had trouble thinking clearly."

Yup, that's the type of characters Thailand has at the helm. Is that the best there is?

I once had a session with this guy Nattawut, he could not speak or undertsand english properly and needed a translator plus I really think he lacks understanding any kind of business or strategic initiative. I really have doubts about his educational level and quality and how the hell is he holding this position.

Sounds about right, in a country where promotion is not based on skills, knowledge, or wisdom. Instead, promotions are based on a person's social standing and whether that person is able/willing to pay higher ups for promotions.

It's a similar reason why, top generals at Kru Sae and Tak Bai (during Thaksin's PM'ship) made bad decisions. And recently; the general who met with Thaksin, first denied he was there, and later claimed the tape was 'edited' said of himself; "I was suffering from a lot of stress, and had trouble thinking clearly."

Yup, that's the type of characters Thailand has at the helm. Is that the best there is?

How has the British Empire done since they abolished the purchasing of commissions in 1871 (Cardwell reforms).