iPad virus!

mjj

So, I have an iPad 3 and seemed to have got a virus today. I don't know the jargon, but I guess you would call it a redirect virus.

It seemed to latch on to Thaivisa on my iPad as other sites could be opened without a problem. But as soon as I went to Thaivisa, after about 30 seconds or so, it would redirect to 'parking ps' web page. Then if I went to the other opened tabs, they too would also redirect.

After a bit of faffing around and searching the Internet for solutions, I think I have cured it. Well, so far so good. I went into the settings, the safari, then changed the search engine from Google to yahoo. After a bit of Internet play, I went back to google and everything seems to be OK.

Just a heads up. :-)

This started happening to me this morning on a MacBook Pro using Safari. Only on the Guardian website - I would open an article and it would open up and the page would suddenly redirect to this annoying parking. ps site. It happened on nearly every article I opened on that site for about 2 hours, but not on any other sites.

On the bottom of the parking.ps page is some message about "you have been directed here because you tried to access a blocked or unavailable URL, but if it annoys you installing Adblock will prevent you seeing this site (I am recollecting it imperfectly) ." It also had the Google logo so it's definitely something to do with Google, who I am beginning to hate.

I had Adblock installed already, and it was definitely enabled, but this still happened. I didn't try to access anything, except the article I was trying to read, and the hijacking redirection happened after the page was opened, and without me clicking anything else.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Adblock. I don't really think this did anything. The redirects did just stop happening after a few hours

I think it is something to do with the ISP, True, or the DNS server, not a virus.

Edited by partington

I spoke too soon it's back! And it is now on my sons ipad mini.

Any suggestions?

Do you have Adblock installed?

As the page that comes up says you should be able to block it using Adblock this would be the first thing to try.

I am sure there is a version for iPad, for several browsers.

Note: other people are reporting this on many different systems, so again I think it is unlikely to be a virus. Are you on True?

Suspect this is a problem with True DNS server being hacked

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665817-anyone-know-about-parkingps-virus/

Edited by partington

If it is any consolation i am also getting these adverts and redirections and i am using Win 7.

I suspect it originates from google ,or google has been hacked ,as the adverts are usually very relevant to what i have been searching for on google. This has been going on for about two months then it went away for about three weeks and then came back last week. I try to ignore but it looks like i will have to reformat .

I am not sure, but suspect, that you are having a problem that I had 3 months ago on my Dell Laptop. One day all of my icons would only go to google.com. No where else. I found a link connecting the problem to a file that will fix the problem by resetting all of your icons back to the direction they are supposed to be going too. Easy fix, no problem since. I wish I saved the link for you, but try searching for "my icons have been redirected".

Ok, I've been 13 hours without any problems. I'm not a computer guy, so I'm just telling you what has happened.

It turns out my home wifi is True and this morning I used a 3bb wifi thingy with no problem at my sons nursery. When I came home back onto True the problem seems to have gone. Well so far so good.