Thinking of teaching English in Thailand.

FIrst assignment: figure out how much 90,000 baht is in your country's currency. That's the absolute bare minimum you should have saved before coming out here.

near as dam_n it to R 28,000....biggrin.png

Did I pass my first assignment ?

My converter is saying: 28,609.273.

Close enoughthumbsup.gif

CONVERTER...you have been in Thailand too long, cant do it your head any more ?...LOL...tongue.png

only kidding...biggrin.png

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you are in South Africa, when I was at a teacher training school to get my TEFL, one of my fellow students was from Uganda, he was not an native English speaker, he is black, and a nicer guy you could not meet, I have kept in touch with him, and he is still working in the same Language School. He is happy there,but he wanted to teach children in a Mattayom school the same as me. I don't know if you are black, or an English native speaker, If you are black and not an English native speaker, you could maybe work in a Language School, but it will be very hard for you to get a teaching job in a Thai government or private school. But good luck to you anyway.

Why should any Thai child be exposed to a "teacher" who would be unemployable as such in their own country ?

Economics smile.png

If you have had any exposure to a typical Thai school, you would not be asking this question.

The standards of teaching, by the Thai teachers, are so much lower than in European countries.

We are talking about teaching English conversation here, and most Thai English teachers cannot string a sentence together.

They know a lot about grammar, but that is of no consequence when they are unable to teach their students how to respond to a basic question.

Exposure to native English speakers for a few hours a week may not be ideal, but it certainly beats filling out worksheets every lesson.

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

So that does send me back to the drawing board. What would you recommend I do?

Heres what I recommend, get some decent qualifications, get a haircut and then get a real job that offers real opportunites for career advancement with a salary comensurate with your qualifications.

Alternatively you can ignore the above, get ripped off by some unscrupulous employment agency issuing dodgy qualifications, and find yourself in the ass end of Issan making a whopping 30k baht per month.

Cut my hair? Why do you say that?

So essentially my options are limited to a 4-5 years of studying?

You do not need to cut your hair, I have not got short hair, as long as it is tidy and well groomed. Unfortunately, here in Thailand, your ability to teach is not as important as your appearance.

Hi, I just sent you a PM with details to avoid the negative attacks on this forum, I don't understand why people stay here if they are so negative about everything including their own lives....Thailand is great, you'l love it at won't want to go back to SA in short plus you WILL get a teaching position guaranteed - teaching conversation English is certainly not rocket science. Buy your plane ticket and just come, that's all there is to it.

i'm afraid that the situation the OP is in, it will not be as simple as that. Come by all means PT, but pay a lot of attention to what most of the posters have already said.

To get a job you need to have a degree from a recognised University & TELF qualification. A South African education diploma is not a recognised degree.

You can get the TEFL certificate here in 4 weeks & B20,000 if you have a basic understanding of English grammar, and a desire to learn.

Once you have theses qualifications, attributes and a positive outlook you can find a job here in Thailand. Yet you will be under constant personal, physical and psychological assessment. Foreign teachers earn a good salary and there is resentment from Thai co-workers looking to point out and exaggerate your weaknesses.

There are also many distractions and opportunities to relieve you of your money, self esteem, freedom, physical and emotional health etc etc. Thailand is not a place the naive hold onto their assets for very long.

I you have enough cash to come over and see for yourself, might be a shrewd idea to do so.

Have you done a SWAT or similar decision making assessment?

• Like 1

I don't know if you are black, or an English native speaker, If you are black and not an English native speaker,

not being funny, but one hopes your not teaching English comprehension, the OP has already stated they are white and quite obviously by the way the posts are written... English is the OP first languge...rolleyes.gif

So that does send me back to the drawing board. What would you recommend I do?

Heres what I recommend, get some decent qualifications, get a haircut and then get a real job that offers real opportunites for career advancement with a salary comensurate with your qualifications.

Alternatively you can ignore the above, get ripped off by some unscrupulous employment agency issuing dodgy qualifications, and find yourself in the ass end of Issan making a whopping 30k baht per month.

Cut my hair? Why do you say that?

So essentially my options are limited to a 4-5 years of studying?

Short term pain for long term gain. These short term courses for English teachers are just very basic. You will realize in your first month that you are way under-qualified. Essentially your only real qualification being that you are a native speaker. You may even find some people in this part of the world will not understand your accent and can't understand why you don't sound like Jeremy Irons or Keeanu Reeves. If you are serious about teaching go and get a proper teaching degree in the fields you have mentioned. If you do go ahead and do the short course be aware that it is short term and if you are still in Thailand teaching with that qualification after a few years then you will be part of the great working poor.

Hi, I just sent you a PM with details to avoid the negative attacks on this forum, I don't understand why people stay here if they are so negative about everything including their own lives....Thailand is great, you'l love it at won't want to go back to SA in short plus you WILL get a teaching position guaranteed - teaching conversation English is certainly not rocket science. Buy your plane ticket and just come, that's all there is to it.

with the exception of one poster (who is always negative anyway) struggling to see any negative attacks, most are common sense pieces of advice, The company providing the training in SA will not really give a rat's ar*e once they get the money of people...wink.png

Its always better getting into a situation forewarned of all the possible pitfalls, if they dont happen great, but at least you are prepared if they do happen...

Soutie..

That is not true, it is about five years since I graduated from my teacher training college, they have been very helpful to me in every way since. I can assure you that if every college putting you through your TEFL course is like the one I went to, then they really do care, and it is not all about the money. In fact, if we left before the first four days of training, we did not have to pay at all.

with the exception of one poster (who is always negative anyway) struggling to see any negative attacks, most are common sense pieces of advice, The company providing the training in SA will not really give a rat's ar*e once they get the money of people...wink.png

Its always better getting into a situation forewarned of all the possible pitfalls, if they dont happen great, but at least you are prepared if they do happen...

Soutie..

That is not true, it is about five years since I graduated from my teacher training college, they have been very helpful to me in every way since. I can assure you that if every college putting you through your TEFL course is like the one I went to, then they really do care, and it is not all about the money. In fact, if we left before the first four days of training, we did not have to pay at all.

your sayings its not true, but you only have experience of one establishment to draw on...blink.png ...so your suggesting all training schools are above board are not only into it for the money ?

based on this logic...I have never had an accident driving a car in Thailand, therefore one must conclude the roads in Thailand as the safest in the world...

Soutie..

your sayings its not true, but you only have experience of one establishment to draw on...blink.png ...so your suggesting all training schools are above board are not only into it for the money ?

based on this logic...I have never had an accident driving a car in Thailand, therefore one must conclude the roads in Thailand as the safest in the world...

Read my post again Soutpeel.

Yes, OP, please clarify. Is this a career move?

I work at the same school as a guy who has no degree, yet in his infinite wisdom married a Thai lady. He is stuck now. You on the other hand, are not limited in your options.

If you just want to travel for a year, you could do a TEFL at SEE in Chiang Mai. They advertise on this site, and are a reputable TEFL school in Thailand. The staff there are very nice, and will help you get your bearings. Chiang Mai is also a nice place to start out in Thailand, though the job market there is very competitive. There are many schools in the north who have a difficult time finding native English speakers. So I'm sure you'd find work, especially if you complete your course in May, which is prime hiring season.

If you decide to come, make sure you have a few months living expenses saved up, too.

Not entirely a career move, however if I find it enjoyable I don't see why I wouldn't stay longer, but I also don't want my expectations to be too high. Does he stay in Thailand because of his marriage or because he does not want to leave her? Or is there a legal obligation to stay?

The problem I do face though, when not going through an agency, is that I have to do everything myself - not that I don't want to, I just don't know how to go about it. I know about passports and VISA's, but how do i get into Thailand with the purpose of doing my training, staying for a year, possibly more etc etc. I don't know how to go about that.

He stays because he has no options. Having no degree makes it difficult for him to get a job at home, at least one with a salary he can support them both with. And as a foreigner in Thailand he's only really qualified to teach, and in his case he's not really even qualified to do that. If you come here, at your age you should be very wary of starting a relationship.

Again, if you decide you want to try teaching here, I suggest you do your TEFL course in Thailand. It will allow you to form a support network from the start, and the friends you'll meet in class could be very helpful down the line. Check out this site: http://seetefl.com/ (no I don't work there, just a satisfied customer).

Getting out into the world and learning to do everything yourself is the most important part of the adventure, in my opinion. Contact the school I mentioned above, and see what they have to say about it. From experience, once you're on the ground here, it's really not that difficult.

FIrst assignment: figure out how much 90,000 baht is in your country's currency. That's the absolute bare minimum you should have saved before coming out here.

That is a lot of money, any particular reason why I would need so much?

Also how would I be losing money in particular? Other than the necessities. Are there many attractions that tourists are lured to?

Edited by Potential Teacher

He stays because he has no options. Having no degree makes it difficult for him to get a job at home, at least one with a salary he can support them both with. And as a foreigner in Thailand he's only really qualified to teach, and in his case he's not really even qualified to do that. If you come here, at your age you should be very wary of starting a relationship.

Again, if you decide you want to try teaching here, I suggest you do your TEFL course in Thailand. It will allow you to form a support network from the start, and the friends you'll meet in class could be very helpful down the line. Check out this site: http://seetefl.com/ (no I don't work there, just a satisfied customer).

Getting out into the world and learning to do everything yourself is the most important part of the adventure, in my opinion. Contact the school I mentioned above, and see what they have to say about it. From experience, once you're on the ground here, it's really not that difficult.

Also how would I be losing money in particular? Other than the necessities. Are there many attractions that tourists are lured to?

It's really not that much money, sorry.

1) While overseas, you should always have enough for a ticket home. (30,000 baht, or in this case, about 30% of what would be your savings.)

2) On the tightest of budgets, you'll spend at least 18,000 baht, or another 20%, during the month you're taking your course

3) Job hunting and settling into an apartment, on a shoestring budget, you're looking at another 15,000 baht, easily.\

Edit 4) Another 20-30,000 during your first month of work, before you've received a paycheck.

So already we're at 63,000 of your 90,000. Consider the other 27,000 your safety net, or, in all likelihood, the additional money you'll be spending enjoying the country in your first month or two here.

Edited by aTomsLife

1) While overseas, you should always have enough for a ticket home. (30,000 baht, or in this case, about 30% of what would be your savings.)

2) On the tightest of budgets, you'll spend at least 18,000 baht, or another 20%, during the month you're taking your course

3) Job hunting and settling into an apartment, on a shoestring budget, you're looking at another 15,000 baht, easily.\

Edit 4) Another 20-30,000 during your first month of work, before you've received a paycheck.

So already we're at 63,000 of your 90,000. Consider the other 27,000 your safety net, or, in all likelihood, the additional money you'll be spending enjoying the country in your first month or two here.

Let me put another further perspective on this...the cost of living in Thailand is very similar to the cost living in SA, and infact somethings are more expensive in Thailand.

I am sick of reading some of the misinformation in this forum. Let me make it clear, a TEFL course is NOT a legal requirement to work as a teacher in Thailand, nor has it ever been. However if you want to work legally in a school (rather then a private language school), you DO need a degree. It is now the minimum requirement to get a teacher's licence, which in turn is required to get a work permit and extensions on your non-O visa. If you have a degree, but not in education, you will need to study further to proceed from the teacher's licence 'waiver' status to a 'licensed teacher' status. This study does not have to be done in Thailand, although it can be.

This does not mean you can't find work in Thailand, but you have to consider whether you want to work illegally with all the unpleasantness that can lead to. There are sectors where teachers do not need these qualifications, (Private language schools and universities for example?), but I have no experience of these.

I am sick of reading some of the misinformation in this forum. Let me make it clear, a TEFL course is NOT a legal requirement to work as a teacher in Thailand, nor has it ever been. However if you want to work legally in a school (rather then a private language school), you DO need a degree. It is now the minimum requirement to get a teacher's licence, which in turn is required to get a work permit and extensions on your non-O visa. If you have a degree, but not in education, you will need to study further to proceed from the teacher's licence 'waiver' status to a 'licensed teacher' status. This study does not have to be done in Thailand, although it can be.

This does not mean you can't find work in Thailand, but you have to consider whether you want to work illegally with all the unpleasantness that can lead to. There are sectors where teachers do not need these qualifications, (Private language schools and universities for example?), but I have no experience of these.

To add to this. If you have a degree in ANY subject you can take the teachers council tests (there are 4 @ 1000b each)

Your teaching waiver is good for 2 years at the same school. If you move the new school will have to get a new waiver. Maximum 3 waivers ( we think)

I would look at a company called " oeg" they place university graduates. We have some at my school.

*Edited out*

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Edited by Scott
Commercial links edited out
  • Like 1

Don't know if you mean me, but I never meant to imply a TEFL was required. I just think doing a course here will be useful for someone with no experience in the country or in a classroom.

Those are all 100% true and very insightful, my inexperience with immigration must be showing heh.

Let me put another further perspective on this...the cost of living in Thailand is very similar to the cost living in SA, and infact somethings are more expensive in Thailand.

All things considered so far, it (the course) does seem too good to be true. If I ever go to Thailand I at least want to be an asset to the country. No way I can become adequate at teaching in such a short period.

Edited by Potential Teacher

I have no intention of working illegally, I was never aware that I would be working illegally had I gone through with the agency.

Sigh, I am saddened though, I would have liked the experience in another country.

So essentially my options are limited to working in the private sector or illegally?

I am sick of reading some of the misinformation in this forum.  Let me make it clear, a TEFL course is NOT a legal requirement to work as a teacher in Thailand, nor has it ever been. However if you want to work legally in a school (rather then a private language school), you DO need a degree.  It is now the minimum requirement to get a teacher's licence, which in turn is required to get a work permit and extensions on your non-O visa.  If you have a degree, but not in education, you will need to study further to proceed from the teacher's licence 'waiver' status to a 'licensed teacher' status.  This study does not have to be done in Thailand, although it can be.

This does not mean you can't find work in Thailand, but you have to consider whether you want to work illegally with all the unpleasantness that can lead to.  There are sectors where teachers do not need these qualifications, (Private language schools and universities for example?), but I have no experience of these.

I have no intention of working illegally, I was never aware that I would be working illegally had I gone through with the agency. 

Sigh, I am saddened though, I would have liked the experience in another country. 

So essentially my options are limited to working in the private sector or illegally? 

If you do not possess a degree then yes.. and working for private language schools can be maddening. Working 7 days a week. Evenings and weekends.

If you have a degree then you can get a 2 year waiver.

First, I have edited out a number of commercial links. You cannot post links to other sites, this is reserved for sponsors only.

Second, welcome to the forum and I hope you get the information you need.

Finally, it is possible to work without a degree and do so legally, but it is very, very difficult and quite unlikely to work for you. There are different titles than 'teacher' than can get people a work permit. I wouldn't count on that option, however. You can work in a language school (a lot of those don't offer work permits). You might be able to work at a University and avoid the Teacher's Council nonsense.

At any rate, welcome and best of luck.

• Like 1

The Op must suffer from a serious headache by now. Time to put it all in a nutshell:

- Well qualified native english teachers can earn good money in Thailand and even more so in the rest of S/E Asia. Reflecting your situation, you are likely to end up in the deepest-Isaan (in the sticks) earning around 20'00 Bht/Month. This is likely to cover your basic monthly expenses. Car, decent health insurance, occasional entertainment that a person of your age needs and deserves: Forget it!

Also to consider: There was a time when (Farang)- Teachers even in the sticks, were addressed with "Adjan". A title commanding respect if not admiration. These days even Thais in rural areas have discovered, that many a Farang -Teacher in the sticks, (after having blown his retirement-funds), strictly remains here on a survival-trip.

The question remains: Why would you want to teach in Thailand and nowhere else? Was there (by any chance), a TV-show running in SA, describing the Thai-Ladies as "easygoing and always with a spark in their eyes and a smile on the face"? This could not possibly be your main-motivation to teach in Thailand..........or could it?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Will you pick up the pieces, when what appears o be a decent kid is left battered, penniless and in dire straights?

Why not look at the reality? Such people do not last long in Thailand. The kinder and more decent, the shorter the shelf life too. Why should he come to Thailand to be exploited by unscrupulous "schools" and foreigners looking to recruit more suckers to work boiler rooms or offer time shares? As mentioned previously, let him come and visit and see if he likes the place. Let him go and visit potential employers and see what crapping into a hole in the ground is like, how unbearable living in a room with no insect screens and no AC is.

• Like 1

Don't know if you mean me, but I never meant to imply a TEFL was required. I just think doing a course here will be useful for someone with no experience in the country or in a classroom.

aTomsLife I did not mean you. I agree with you that doing a TEFL can be a hugely valuable thing for a new unqualified teacher with no experience. In fact, I think it could make the difference between being able to make a go of it or not for someone with no experience or knowledge of the field. My comment was aimed at those who keep saying that a TEFL qualification is necessary to work legally here. Utter rubbish. The same culprits generally ignore the very real actual requirements while they dole out their useless advice.

SWISS

A professor works in a University.

A teacher teaches in a school.

When you peruse teaching situations vacant here in Thailand the requirement is a degree and a TELF certificate to satisfy the department of Education. The TELF certificate is for the benefit of language learners. It demonstrates the holder has the desired knowledge of approved teaching methodology.

Thai society is bureaucratic and the correct piece of paper is always required. As any experienced ex-pat will know.

Anyone can apply for any vacancy, yet those applicants without the stated qualifications make HR's job much easier and rarely get a second look.

Manchester United have a vacancy at the moment. I might give that a go. I have C&G

Best regards, keep learning.

I see you are in South Africa, when I was at a teacher training school to get my TEFL, one of my fellow students was from Uganda, he was not an native English speaker, he is black, and a nicer guy you could not meet, I have kept in touch with him, and he is still working in the same Language School. He is happy there,but he wanted to teach children in a Mattayom school the same as me. I don't know if you are black, or an English native speaker, If you are black and not an English native speaker, you could maybe work in a Language School, but it will be very hard for you to get a teaching job in a Thai government or private school. But good luck to you anyway.

In my 'pilot-scheme' private bilingual programme school, from P1-M6, there are some native speakers, however there are 2 Africans, 3 Indians, 3 Asians, and 1 non-NES European. None of the last classifications are native English speakers- by definition. I'm pretty convinced 2 of them are black though.

SWISS

A professor works in a University.

A teacher teaches in a school.

When you peruse teaching situations vacant here in Thailand the requirement is a degree and a TELF certificate to satisfy the department of Education. The TELF certificate is for the benefit of language learners. It demonstrates the holder has the desired knowledge of approved teaching methodology.

Thai society is bureaucratic and the correct piece of paper is always required. As any experienced ex-pat will know.

Anyone can apply for any vacancy, yet those applicants without the stated qualifications make HR's job much easier and rarely get a second look.

Manchester United have a vacancy at the moment. I might give that a go. I have C&G

Best regards, keep learning.

Here we go againcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

If you do not possess a degree then yes.. and working for private language schools can be maddening. Working 7 days a week. Evenings and weekends.

If you have a degree then you can get a 2 year waiver.

I see, I have worked 236 hours a month before, some days 11 hour shifts. It was straight out of high-school and it really wore me out after the first 7 months. I would not like to work that many hours again, regardless of what it is. May I ask what a 2 year waiver is and why private schools make you work so many hours?

First, I have edited out a number of commercial links. You cannot post links to other sites, this is reserved for sponsors only.

Second, welcome to the forum and I hope you get the information you need.

Finally, it is possible to work without a degree and do so legally, but it is very, very difficult and quite unlikely to work for you. There are different titles than 'teacher' than can get people a work permit. I wouldn't count on that option, however. You can work in a language school (a lot of those don't offer work permits). You might be able to work at a University and avoid the Teacher's Council nonsense.

At any rate, welcome and best of luck.

I do apologize, it can't look very good if someone with 10 posts starts linking to other websites.