Should I carry my passport original or a photocopy when walking around in Bangkok?

The International Farang

This is what it says on the UK Embassy in Bangkok website:

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport on request.

I don't know what law they are talking about -- it's not in the Immigration Act itself. I don't always carry my passport when in my home town. But I have been once in 10 years asked by a police officer for my passport (on the train to Nong Khai during ASEAN summit in Vientiane) and I don't think he would've been happy if I had just pulled out an easily altered paper copy as are all paper photocopies.

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always do everything I can to avoid contact with the police in any country I go to and especially Thailand. In the 13 years or so I've been travelling to Thailand I've never carried it with me when out and about. I just know it would be a massive hassle if I lost it and a small fine/tea money is worth it if I am asked for it and unable to produce it. I've yet to hear of anybody being deported or locked up for not having it on them.

Post #1 mentions nothing about one living in Bangkok. So sue me.

It's irrelevant whether he is living in an apartment in Bangkok or staying at a hotel. He is asking "Should I carry my passport original or photocopy when walking around in Bangkok?"

Here's what I consider relevant whether in Bangkok or elsewhere: There is no situation where it is preferable to have a copy of a passport rather than the genuine article and the reverse is quite possible.

Maybe not preferable to have a photocopy but a whole lot safer. If traveling out of province you should however take your passport with you.

• Like 1

USA began issuing "Passport Cards" a few years back and I invested in one at an adder cost of about $ 40. It has an embedded chip which allows for border crossings and/or entry/exit for Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, etc. Assume the move is underway to make the digital version widely available on a global basis in years to come.

I carry it at all times. I've been asked to produce "I.D," on one occasion at which time I complied by showing the card. No problem. It looks "official", has an image of me and is labeled "Passport Card". The corresponding number however is not the same as for my passport book.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

So while I've never been asked to provide my passport book I have seen many on Sukhumvit asked to show theirs to Police. Those that I've seen been asked to produce have always been of eastern Indian or Arabic descent which smells of profiling. Far be it from me to intervene though.

in 17 years here i have never been asked to show my passport.

nor have i carried one

Could you expand upon this please.

You are saying you are never asked for your passport. Are you a euro type person or do you blend in? smile.png

What do they ask you? Do they ask about visa status? Do you have a Thai Drivers License?

What form of ID do you show?

What part of the country do you live in?

Do you travel on the highways?

Speaking for myself only,

You are saying you are never asked for your passport.

Never, only time asked for is at immigration to do an extension, to renew drivers license or to open a bank account.

Are you a euro type person

Yes.

What do they ask you?

Dont understand the question, what did who ask in relation to what?

Do they ask about visa status?

Did who ask about visa status, as above in relation to what?

Do you have a Thai Drivers License?

Yes.

When stopped by police when driving, drivers license.

When coming home in a taxi from a night out in Bkk after the taxi has been stopped by police, showed nothing.

Questioned in Thai and answered in Thai.

Bangkok and Chanthaburi.

Yes frequently, in fact most times I have been stopped in the Chan region, as soon as they see I am a farang the police just wave me on, they are looking for other illegal activities.

The reason I dont carry a passport is simple, I would rather be fined a couple of hundred baht for not having it on me, than risk losing it while out and about.

Has anyone ever been fined for not having a passport on them?

The alternative is the possibility of losing the passport and all the hassle that entails.

Police report, trip to the embassay, trip back home to get a new visa, back here to renew visa etc etc etc

Do you never use hotels?

USA began issuing "Passport Cards" a few years back and I invested in one at an adder cost of about $ 40. It has an embedded chip which allows for border crossings and/or entry/exit for Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, etc. Assume the move is underway to make the digital version widely available on a global basis in years to come.

I carry it at all times. I've been asked to produce "I.D," on one occasion at which time I complied by showing the card. No problem. It looks "official", has an image of me and is labeled "Passport Card". The corresponding number however is not the same as for my passport book.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

So while I've never been asked to provide my passport book I have seen many on Sukhumvit asked to show theirs to Police. Those that I've seen been asked to produce have always been of eastern Indian or Arabic descent which smells of profiling. Far be it from me to intervene though.

Yes I have one of these cards also and I may start carrying it.

My experience so far is when stopped at police checkpoints on highways, they see Buffalo Farang man and just wave you on...

I carry my Thai Drivers license and small photo copy of the picture page of my passport with copy of visa on the backside and a copy of the picture of my work permit in my wallet at all times. I never leave home without my wallet and smart phone. Oh I also have complete scans of my passport and work permit saved to my smart phone and can quickly open them up to show if anyone asks which I have done many times at Banks and when opening new mobile phone numbers and internet services.

• Like 2

Since i never go anywhere without my iphone I have a copy of my passport, DL, current visa page from passport and birth certificate all in pdf in my Dropbox app. Maybe not technical compliance but then again I have had zero encounters with the 'authorities' in three years in TH, except at the airport and immigration.

• Like 1

My first experience traveling Asia was in 1988 and I often traveled to rural areas. It was much safer then to keep any valuables with you rather then leave them in a hotel room. I have never lost my passport... or sent it through the wash in a pants pocket.

If ever travel now more than a few miles from my house I take the passport with me. I was pick-pocketed once on Sumatra -- they took my wallet with credit cards and cash but my passport and (then) paper plane ticket were in my camera bag which is why I now carry all valuables when traveling in a re-enforced shoulder bag. An expired US Passport is sufficient for proof of citizenship and a new passport.

BTW the town where i was pick-pocketed (by a three man team) was leveled a few years later in an earthquake.

High resolution colour scans of all relevant passport pages, visa, work permit. Then stored in Evernote application where it can be shown on my smartphone.

Hopefully all I'll ever need ... if they insist on seeing the originals, they can come to my office where they are kept under lock and key.

Don't know about Bangkok but in Chiang Mai recently two friends were picked up and held for several hours until they were able to arrange for the passports to be brought to the police station. They were each fined 1000 baht. The both have Thai driver's licenses.

• Like 1

nor have i carried one

Could you expand upon this please.

You are saying you are never asked for your passport. Are you a euro type person or do you blend in? smile.png

What do they ask you? Do they ask about visa status? Do you have a Thai Drivers License?

The OP asked about walking around BKK, not highways.

I always carry a credit card size plastic copy of my PP and 5-year DL to avoid loss of originals.

Never had a problem and only ever asked once.

I understand there is a 24 hour 'grace' period to present your PP at the appropriate police station?

I'll second this. You can have these cards made at many photo shops. I put my PP info pg on one side, and the entry stamp on the other. These have also "worked" for me in other situations where a PP would otherwise have been requested, like currency exchange booths (I know, most don't ask for PP at all, but the odd one will). I don't like to risk losing or having my PP pickpocketed, am extremely careful with it, and don't like carrying it around unless I know I'm going to need it. In 25yrs, I've never been asked for it by a policeman (then again, I don't drive in Thailand, but am out and about in Bangkok all the time). All that said, as I understand it, if for some reason the person asking you for your PP is an Immigration Officer (rather than RTP), you will be expected to produce your PP (reasonable facsimiles NOT accepted), and can expect a trip to the station if you don't have it. At that point you'll have to get somebody to retrieve it for you from wherever you're keeping it... That's never happened to me, but again, the story goes that these officers tend to turn up at "raids" alongside their RTP brethren - RTP looking for drug (or whatever) offenders and Immos specifically looking for the undocumented or overstayers lurking among them. Possibly, with the right incentive, you could persuade the officer to accompany you to your hotel for your PP if he says he absolutely must see it. I consider the risk of losing it or having it taken on the street (or BTS) much greater than the risk of the situation (which I perceive to be rare, esp. if you don't frequent "raid-prone" places or participate in "raid-prone" activities...) described above.

As I said earlier, I was only stopped once and asked for my passport during high security for an ASEAN Summit and I do not think the police officer would have been happy that I could not show him a genuine passport. I am more comfortable when traveling outside the province with my passport. When I lived for a short time in Bangkok, I always carried my passport because too much weird sh-t happens there to be without it.

BTW I like the answer above that if a Thai Officer asked to see the non-Thai's genuine passport, the non-Thai would relate to said officer the terms under which he would be willing to comply with such request.

I am not trying to convince anyone that they should carry their passport -- just an explanation as to why i do.

Edited by JLCrab

It depends which area of Bangkok you happen to be walking in. I live around Phrom Pong/ Asoke and in the last year and a half - have been stopped 9 times and asked for passport, by both regular and traffic cops. I have also been searched several times - much to the amusement of local Thais.

It always starts with "where u come from", "or What hotel you stay" - so they obviously assume I am a tourist

I am convinced its a local problem (most officers have been from the notorious Thonglor police station) and I even consulted my lawyer as it was getting ridiculous.

He advised me that I have to submit to a search - no matter how degrading, however, I have a right to see the (police) identification card of the officer conducting the search and also have a right to have a witness present (on my behalf)

I have used both these 'rights' on the past few stop/searches and it really annoys the officers, but I stuck to my guns and even offered to continue the search at their station and they could explain to their boss why I was being awkward about it.

On all occasions they have eventually shown me their police ID card.

I suggested to one cop who was giving me a hard time that instead of stopping me on the off-chance I might be a 'hardened criminal' - perhaps he should put his efforts into stopping those who were actually committing real crimes just yards from where we were standing right in front of his face. (Drivers and motorcyclists, especially riding on the sidewalks) - he told me it wasn't his job. I reminded him that he wasn't immigration police either !!

I walk everywhere and have walked in many other areas of Bangkok and never ever been given even a second look by any police officer. Just in Asoke/Phrom Pong and Thonglor. (Sukhumvit areas)

If I am walking in these areas I now carry my passport. I did try using my D/L once - but the officer (rightly) said he couldn't check my visa status from a D/L. I always carry a copy now of my passport photo page and latest visa/extension stamp. Even in this area - that has sufficed (so far)

I never carry my passport because I know will be complicated and costly to get a new one, and all the stamps....but...I carry some king of foreign ID and my Thai bank book. I think that will be enough proof that I am living here....Not my ATM card...Not safe to show it around...

When I am traveling in other states, I have to carry my passport because hotels will ask for that at check in, making sure that it will have safe boxes.

Anyway...NEVER in 3 years was asked to show any ID on the streets.

nor have i carried one

I too have 5 years here and think if are not out getting into possible bad situations you will be fine. Now if you are, then better carry a copy!

<snip>

Anyway, OP, you should carry a photocopy of the main page of your passport (the one with your mugshot) and, preferably, the page which bears your current, valid visa stamp.

99% of the time, that will suffice.

<snip>

By law Thai's are supposed to carry ID, my buddy who has been here 20 years always do...in my 5 + years I do not and have never been asked for it.

I just have a picture of my passport work permit on my phone it is enough and even gets me into the national parks at the thai rate!!

Would never carry original here and in 18 years been asked a few times but was never required to produce anything actually...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So the consensus seems to be that one should not carry one's passport as the likelihood of its being lost is far greater than the odd chance that some Thai official might ask to see one's passport and not be satisfied to see anything other then the genuine passport and not some facsimile. So I would ask:

How does one going about losing one's passport? I started to enumerate the possible ways but what the heck. I guess given the number of persons who put their passport through the laundry, that means many carry the passport in their clothing pockets. If I did that I might worry about losing it as well.

I have never carried my passport . . . (I believe it is the law to carry it though from what I have read)

No, Thai law doesn't specify "passport." ID, yes. You'll see "passport" specified in various travel websites and even on some foreign embassy websites. But in fact, as determined by exhaustive investigation here on TV, Thai law says you must carry "ID" and nobody can show where the law says "passport."

A Thai DL is great because you must have had a passport at some point wink.png and because it's got your Thai address on it. Still, it seems a good idea to back it up w/ a copies of relevant pages of your passport. Passports fall under the purview of Immigration police, not your ordinary BiB, technically speaking.

I think the British Embassy describes it quite well:

http://uk-passport-service-guide.com/british-embassy-thailand

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request.

Reality wise, as has been mentioned, it's rare to be asked for your passport. But it does happen, fines have been paid and foreigners have been hauled to the local police box to sort things out....err....negotiate.

This thread describes the Thai laws regarding this quite well:

Section 57 : For the purpose of Chapter 7 miscellaneous ; whoever claims his nationality is Thai and if there is not enough evidence for the competent official to believe that he has Thai nationality , it is presumed that such a person is an alien until he can prove other wise.

An application for proof of nationality under Para.1 of this Section will be submitted to the competent official in the accordance with the form and fees as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations. If such person does not satisfy the competent official’s order , he may apply to the Court asking for consideration.

In the case where there is an application to the Court upon receiving and application, the Court shall notify the Public Prosecutor, who may, in turn, have a right for objection thereto.

And then Sections 58 & 59 go on to say:

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 59 :The Director General, or the competent official deputized by Director General, shall have the authority to arrest and suppress any person violating this Act. They shall also have the authority to issue a subpoena, warrant of arrest or search, make arrest , search , or detain. They shall also have the authority to conduct inquiry into the offense against the provisions of this Act in the same manner as the inquiry official under the Criminal Procedure Code.

And this thread has some interesting information:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566309-carrying-passport-with-you/

So the consensus seems to be that one should not carry one's passport as the likelihood of its being lost is far greater than the odd chance that some Thai official might ask to see one's passport and not be satisfied to see anything other then the genuine passport and not some facsimile. So I would ask:

How does one going about losing one's passport? I started to enumerate the possible ways but what the heck. I guess given the number of persons who put their passport through the laundry, that means many carry the passport in their clothing pockets. If I did that I might worry about losing it as well.

Pickpockets, falling out of your pocket, getting out to use as ID in the bank, leaving it lying about in your room instead of the safe. Much rather leave it in my room safe.

I have never carried my passport . . . (I believe it is the law to carry it though from what I have read)

No, Thai law doesn't specify "passport." ID, yes. You'll see "passport" specified in various travel websites and even on some foreign embassy websites. But in fact, as determined by exhaustive investigation here on TV, Thai law says you must carry "ID" and nobody can show where the law says "passport."

A Thai DL is great because you must have had a passport at some point wink.png and because it's got your Thai address on it. Still, it seems a good idea to back it up w/ a copies of relevant pages of your passport. Passports fall under the purview of Immigration police, not your ordinary BiB, technically speaking.

Sorry: but my 5 year Thai Driving licence does NOT have my address on it as far as I can see, but it does have my Passport number, which is listed as the I.D. number. I don't know when your DL was issued, but mine is now 4 years old. So in essence, we have got our Passport details on us if we show our DL.