AirAsia hub for Chiang Mai in Dec2013

CMfoodie

AA has done away with the min.15 kgs baggage for international flights..it now starts with min. 20 kgs....of course you pay more..

Also a fee is being charged for 'direct debit' card when paying for yours tickets...it used to be free....bah.gif

Edited by chuang

AA has done away with the min.15 kgs baggage for international flights..it now starts with min. 20 kgs....of course you pay more..

Also a fee is being charged for 'direct debit' card when paying for yours tickets...it used to be free....bah.gif

Pay in THB, and you will save about 4%, depending on your bank. The Thapae Gate location charges 150 THB.....I agree with Mr. James...Tony is the Man! I, too, have never had the slightest of problems on my 20 flights with them. They beat all of the legacy carriers in the States, IMO. I did try BKK Airways last time, and I'm not paying more than 300 THB more to take them over AA. Pumpkin Chips and sugar juice were the lounge specialties. There were some bratty kids running and screaming in the lounge, too. Take a few (dozen) trips through the UAL hubs in Denver and Chicago......almost always pain involved.

Can only be good news for Chiang Mai, as Chinese tourism grows, if they can be diverted here, rather than heading straight down to Bangkok. smile.png

Some would argue that it's bad news, not good.

whistling.gif

As one who has been living on Phuket i can affirm that it is bad news, not good.[no argument at all]

They are everywhere here now and in ever increasing numbers and do little more than make TAT numbers of arrivals figures look good,

As far as putting money into the local economy ?...ziltch!

They are the epitome of the term zero baht tourists..sad.png

Do they serve meals on them or still sell food on them?

More like air sales personnel than air stewardesses.

The last time I flew with them I told them I was not able to walk a great distance and would require a wheelchair in Bangkok. On arrival they told me it would be a half hour wait.

Maybe I am just plain the odd man out with them but in about 12 flights I have had three of them canceled and had to wait for the next one which was 4 hours later.

If possible I will fly with Bangkok air. Yes it is a little costlier but I am retired and when I fly I try to treat myself with decent service Generally they have a lounge on both ends of the flight.

Now if I was a back packer or some one trying too save money to get to where I am retired with decent pensions coming in. That would be a different story.

I was going to say I would take a train then I remembered they have no maintenance on the track until a train derails there.smile.png

Pay in THB, and you will save about 4%, depending on your bank. The Thapae Gate location charges 150 THB.....I agree with Mr. James...Tony is the Man! I, too, have never had the slightest of problems on my 20 flights with them. They beat all of the legacy carriers in the States, IMO. I did try BKK Airways last time, and I'm not paying more than 300 THB more to take them over AA. Pumpkin Chips and sugar juice were the lounge specialties. There were some bratty kids running and screaming in the lounge, too. Take a few (dozen) trips through the UAL hubs in Denver and Chicago......almost always pain involved.

Don't know about the baggage situation as I never check in baggage. The fee he is talking about, I believe, is the fee when booking on the website? It's about 250-300 THB per ticket (which adds up when you buy many tickets for the family). They refer to it as a "convenience fee". laugh.png But you can get around that if you use a Thai Panich debit card. We opened an account in BKK just for this purpose. It used to be you needed an account at a BKK branch but now I believe it works with an account at any branch in Thailand. Saves a lot of money.

Thighlander you can can't get the promotions on-line and pay at Thapae, you have to pay on-line at the time of the booking or you lose the promotion (assuming what is being discussed is on-line bookings).

Edited by elektrified

Everyone stating that they have never had a problem with AA have never needed to attend one of their counters. They are the slowest workers I have ever seen. They only leave one window open, despite there being multiple workers, they don't care that they take 10-40mins per person when they have a line of 20 people

You get this enjoyment while looking at Nok air right next door and see that they have multiple windows open and if they have a line it's moving quickly.

I only tke AA now if they are massively cheaper,

Don't know about the baggage situation as I never check in baggage. The fee he is talking about, I believe, is the fee when booking on the website? It's about 250-300 THB per ticket (which adds up when you buy many tickets for the family). They refer to it as a "convenience fee". laugh.png But you can get around that if you use a Thai Panich debit card. We opened an account in BKK just for this purpose. It used to be you needed an account at a BKK branch but now I believe it works with an account at any branch in Thailand. Saves a lot of money.

Thighlander you can can't get the promotions on-line and pay at Thapae, you have to pay on-line at the time of the booking or you lose the promotion (assuming what is being discussed is on-line bookings).

I just looked at my booking for a trip from Don Mueang to Phnom Penh. I used the website and the administrative fee was 80 THB. But, you are probably correct about using their office on Thapae, not only do you pay a 150 THB fee, but the online prices are not available. Might be a good idea to go to a 10 THB per hour net cafe, and pay the girl next to Kodak 1 THB to print your ticket.

Last time I flew domestic, the administrative fee was 50 THB, but that was September 2012, and we all know that is an eternity in this mad world of airline fees.

Edited by Thighlander

Everyone stating that they have never had a problem with AA have never needed to attend one of their counters.

True, I've never been to an AA counter in like I said, about 50+ flights which is one thing I love about them. I do everything on-line beforehand; check in, print boarding passes, etc. I never check luggage so I don't have to deal with that either.

I like Nok Air but they seem to have less promotions these days. The last real Nok Air promotion I saw was for 3 of us flying round-trip to Bangkok for 1800 THB including tax. That was in 2011.