Bangkok's "Car free day" to take place September 22

webfact

Bangkok's "Car free day" to take place September 22
BY SINE NEUCHS THOMSEN

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration announced yesterday that September 22 will be “Bangkok Car Free Day,” an initiative aimed at encouraging commuters to use public transportation, Daily News reported.

With the purchase of a pin, Bangkokians will be permitted to board all public transportation in the city. The public services include the BTS, MRT, Airport Rail Link, city bus system, Chao Phraya Express, public rental bikes, and city tour shuttle buses in Rattanakosin Island.

The pin, which is available for THB50, will give its wearers a whole day of public transportation travel without any additional costs. Bangkok Governor Mom Rajawongse Sukhumbhand Paripatra said that approximately new 100K cars are registered each month in Bangkok and the average peak-hour speed has dipped lower yet again.

Also on September 22 at 8.00 AM there will be a bike parade that will start at Sanam Luang and make its way to Central World shopping mall where an exhibition, on-stage activities and promotional booths will be held.

For those interested in participating, Bangkok Car Free Day pins can be purchased at BMA Express (located at Siam, Mo Chit, and Phrom Pong BTS station), Bangkok Bike Rental Booths, and the headquarter of Bangkok Bank. The revenue will be donated to Chaipattana Foundation, the Daily News reported.

Source: http://scandasia.com/bangkoks-car-free-day-to-take-place-september-22/

-- ScandAsia 2013-09-05

"Bangkok Governor Mom Rajawongse Sukhumbhand Paripatra said that approximately new 100K cars are registered each month in Bangkok"

100K or 100'000 new cars each month!?! This equals 3'333 vehicles per day or 1.2 million a year! If this figure is really correct and considering that close to 8 million cars are already populating Bangkok's roads (1.2 million mean an increase of 15 % over that number each year), I think total utter gridlock is imminent!

"Bangkok Governor Mom Rajawongse Sukhumbhand Paripatra said that approximately new 100K cars are registered each month in Bangkok"

100K or 100'000 new cars each month!?! This equals 3'333 vehicles per day or 1.2 million a year! If this figure is really correct and considering that close to 8 million cars are already populating Bangkok's roads (1.2 million mean an increase of 15 % over that number each year), I think total utter gridlock is imminent!

This figure is probably in the right ballpark. A lot of cars are registered as being from Bangkok, even though the car might never even travel to Bangkok.

But rather than that being an average, I'd say that'd be an old statistic, likely dating back maybe 6 months or so, to when the new number plates were being issued for the cars brought at the end of the government subsidy, and then maybe rounded up a little (His figure might actually be correct of course, I just think he'd skew the figures a little to make it sound more dramatic).

Right I own a pickup so I get off this one too.

I call it a car but on the 22nd its a truck for sure!

BTW... how the fart does anyone male wear a pin?

I know I'll just pop it on top of my mustache, they can't miss it there can they?

Opps... I forgot... Thailand.

No cars means that people will walk those final few meters from public transport to their final destination.

Hmmm, in a city that employees thousands of motocy taxi drivers that haul people 200 meters up the soi?

I don' think so whistling.gif

Good Idea but to be truly effective they have to/should actually ban the use of all cars in the City on that particular day otherwise although as said appears positive its going to be a bit of a waste of time....the Thai way...suppose...mpr

This figure is probably in the right ballpark. A lot of cars are registered as being from Bangkok, even though the car might never even travel to Bangkok.

But rather than that being an average, I'd say that'd be an old statistic, likely dating back maybe 6 months or so, to when the new number plates were being issued for the cars brought at the end of the government subsidy, and then maybe rounded up a little (His figure might actually be correct of course, I just think he'd skew the figures a little to make it sound more dramatic).

That may be the explanation, actually both our cars still bear Bangkok plates even though we have left Bangkok for a congestion free area more than a year ago.

Let's face the facts, Thailand will achieve true democracy before your average Somchai here would leave his car at home choosing instead to have to walk to the bus stop, wait for the tin oven to come and roast and get bumped in all directions for the duration of his journey. In other words, don't count on here being ANY less traffic than normal...Yes call me cynical, I know...

Where do I pick up my 'free car'?

Oh, I see. They meant 'car-free day'!

Why don't they have an 'internal-combustion-engine-free day', instead?

A Thai remake of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'.

Carfree is carefree (or careless or is it care less?).

Sounds more like an 'inflict-max-pain' day for commuters, forcing car drivers into ridiculous buses and already-overloaded (during rush hour) BTS and MRT system. And they plan to enforce this how, exactly? If nothing else, it will be fun to watch.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

Good Idea but to be truly effective they have to/should actually ban the use of all cars in the City on that particular day otherwise although as said appears positive its going to be a bit of a waste of time....the Thai way...suppose...mpr

Depends where in the city you live.

i.e. I live in Bangkok, but on the outskirts (not PathumThani / Nonthaburi / etc. - proper Bangkok district). but I'd need to take a car to get to the nearest bus stop. (I think I could walk there in about 40-50 minutes, but I'd be drenched in sweat, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to be sat next to me on public transport once that starts to go stale)

Bangkok should start doing these monthly:

http://www.sfcriticalmass.org/

But where, oh where, would they find enough bicyclists? Ever notice how many commuters take the stairs instead of the escalator at Sukhumvit MRT station and, doubtlessly, all other stations? The count hovers around zero even when there's a line to a packed-as-a-sardine-can escalator.

Anyone care to offer an hypothesis or two for this phenomenon ... other than that Bangkok is a city of wanna-be (and effort-free) sardines?

Edited by MaxYakov

What do you mean 'imminent' it's been gridlock for 25 + years bah.gifbah.gif

Bangkok car free day for those interested in participating, fine, but for those NOT interested in participating ? Well, I reckon they'll still be out in their cars. Let's face it, Thais don't like being told what to do, they just go ahead and do whatever they want with scant regard to anyone else. They have a perfect example in a government who sign up to a treaty ( ASEAN ) and then choose to ignore those parts of the agreement they do not wish to participate in whenever they choose to.

1.2 million is the annual sales nationwide. The Bangkok number is lower - I don't recall the split but 50,000 a month wouldn't be too far wrong. Next year its expected to reduce slightly (unless you speak to car manufacturers who live in lala land and think it will grow another 10%...)

I like how they're not enforcing a ban on cars, but simply giving the public an incentive to take public transport - 50 baht for the BTS is very reasonable. They ought to have this more often.

Sounds like a great idea... I'll be buying a pin for sure and making use of the BTS! thumbsup.gif

Note to self: but avoid peak hours on the BTS as they will be just impossible.

PS Quit shifting the spotlight to how Thais won't leave their cards, and focus on what you're going to be doing.

Edited by mangos