Those Interested In Setting Up A Dolphin Center In Phuket Are Invited To A Founding Committee Meeting.

NBT TV Phuket

A marine Biologist from Denmark, Judith Kongsted, together with Phuket Marine Biological Centre, Director, Wannakiat Thubthimsang, recently proposed to the Phuket Governor, to build a new dolphin park project at Cape Panwa, near the Aquarium, for research on dolphin behaviour, therapy for ill patients and swimming with dolphins for visitors. The dolphins would come from those found stranded on beaches, and willing to interact with humans. Some of the building funds may come from Denmark and donations.

Judith told Andaman News she is now inviting anybody interested in this project, who would like to participate in a Founding committee meeting, to come to the Pearl Hotel on Saturday 29 April from 3-6pm. All speeches and papers will be in both English and Thai.

Please confirm in writing by Friday 21 April to Judith Kongsted, at the Phuket Marine Biological Centre, PO Box 60, or email [email protected]

to see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=169876

Andaman News TV11 Phuket City, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 10.05am Wednesday 19 April 2006 & www.Thaisnews.com

A marine Biologist from Denmark, Judith Kongsted, together with Phuket Marine Biological Centre, Director, Wannakiat Thubthimsang, recently proposed to the Phuket Governor, to build a new dolphin park project at Cape Panwa, near the Aquarium, for research on dolphin behaviour, therapy for ill patients and swimming with dolphins for visitors. The dolphins would come from those found stranded on beaches, and willing to interact with humans. Some of the building funds may come from Denmark and donations.

Judith told Andaman News she is now inviting anybody interested in this project, who would like to participate in a Founding committee meeting, to come to the Pearl Hotel on Saturday 29 April from 3-6pm. All speeches and papers will be in both English and Thai.

Please confirm in writing by Friday 21 April to Judith Kongsted, at the Phuket Marine Biological Centre, PO Box 60, or email [email protected]

to see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=169876

Andaman News TV11 Phuket City, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 10.05am Wednesday 19 April 2006 & www.Thaisnews.com

So she is going to Capture them and kidnap them with the help of PMBC instead of helping them back into the ocean??????? IS it to help people who are sick ore "For visitors" to make money??? <deleted>!!!!!!!!! LEAVE THE MARINE LIFE ALONE!

Are we re-inventing the wheel yet again? How much more "research" on dolphin behaviour is needed? I agree with Dive Mistress, leave the dolphins alone - unless of course we get their WRITTEN permission for interaction with humans.......... :o

• 2 weeks later...

yeah yeah yeah yeah!!!!!!!!!!! There is hope in Phuket!!! I was just about to launch a campaign requesting anyone i know who cares to email the Good Governor of Phuket and the TAT to not let this crazy woman capture beached whales!!!! YEah Yeah Yeah!!!!!!

wHAT DOES SHE mean by sometimes people bother them in the wild? In over 1500 dives in Similans i have only seen them swiming and playing along side the boat, but they never come close enough to us underwater so that divers can bother them! And initially she wanted to jail them to study them now it is all about people comming to swim with them.

Another certified Nut in Phuket. Has anybody check out her credentials? Hopefully her visa expires soon and she can go back to Denmark!

Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Disinterest sinks ‘swimming with dolphins’ plan

PHUKET CITY: The Phuket Marine Biological Center (PMBC) and Danish marine biologist Judith Kongsted have announced that plans for a dolphin center at Cape Panwa have fallen through due to the lack of participants in a proposed fund-raising committee.

Ms Kongsted had invited PMBC Director Wannakiat Thapthimsang and other potential committee members to attend a meeting at the Pearl Hotel on Saturday to form a working committee and discuss raising funds for the project. Only about 15 people attended.

Ms Kongsted commented: “It turns out that this project is not going to work because we do not have a committee to work with. But I’m still enthusiastic about the idea.

People are fascinated by dolphins but sometimes they bother the creatures in the wild. If we had a dolphin center, people could come and swim with them and I think that it would be an extremely beautiful experience.”

The concept was opposed by Dr Roy Jones, Wildlife Coordinator, Asia, of the World Society for Protection of Animals, a UN-affiliated organization.

“I disagree with dolphins being held in captivity,” he said. “Granted, research has been conducted on dolphins in captivity, but the actual scientific body of evidence that we have comes predominantly from dolphins in the wild. This is where they display their natural behavior.”

He added: “Swimming with dolphins is no more than a business, and captivity with constant intimacy with humans would prevent them from living a normal life.”

K. Wannakiat said “I have discussed this topic with Ms Kongsted and I told her that the dolphin center could possibly be associated with Phuket Aquarium because the aquarium would be allowed to make a profit from it.

“The PMBC is not allowed to affiliate with an independent institution such as the proposed dolphin center, but the aquarium is. The objective of the dolphin center should be [medical] research and if there is any swimming with dolphins it should be for patients, not tourists or visitors.”

[/u][/u]

Dolphins, I mean dolphins not whales. Oops.

I have always thought that mammals stranding are sick and disoriented. Should not the mammals get treatment, to be released after. But her idea is to let them cure humans with stress related disorders. Are dolphins not hunters with sharp teeths? :o