Thai Marine police arrest Russian for stealing sailboat worth millions of baht

webfact

First of all and one more time I can see Russian bashing ...... This guy is UZBEKISTAN citizen , so why they put Russian ???????????????/ ridiculous !! How come he could take a boat out of the marina ? there are guards at the entrance asking question ( I know I have a boat there) , then you need a key to start , you need knowledge in sailing .... sounds very strange to me !

You seem to be a bit touchy on the Russian bashing front. Are you Russian? I did not mention anything about Russians in my post.

Is idiot bashing ok? we'll be bashing all day on every thread...cheesy.gif

Bashing on idiots would take too long ...... and would be a total waste of time , specially virtually

You really must start reading the OP"s before you dash in. He didn't walk through the entrance where the guards were HE SWAM OUT.

He did need a key for sure---- AND IT WAS ON THE BOAT

If you cannot see any evidence of sails FURLED then I suggest you look again

Lastly the guy who tried to steal WAS A RUSSIAN

How do you know he didn't know how to sail

Still we all know you have a boat there----- Better go and check it.------------------- OK Whoopsy doo-- the rest of your post seems correct

The rest of your post is

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all and one more time I can see Russian bashing ...... This guy is UZBEKISTAN citizen , so why they put Russian ???????????????/ ridiculous !! How come he could take a boat out of the marina ? there are guards at the entrance asking question ( I know I have a boat there) , then you need a key to start , you need knowledge in sailing .... sounds very strange to me !

A dodgy insurance claim perhaps?

I guess the young Russian failed to think things through properly before deciding to steal the boat. Step one: Steal boat for trip to Indonesia and the Philippines. Step two: Duh.

He had a plan A: "steal a sailboat", but forgot plan B: "what happens when it runs out of gasoline and no wind in the sails". clap2.gif

Absolutely not , I was referring to the article ... mentioning the guy was Russian when the same article says he is Uzbek ... I just dont like farang bashing on other farang .as we are all in the same boat .. regardless of nationalities.

laugh.png

Once again I would like to remind all and sundry that Russians are NOT FARANGS. You can ask any Thai. To them Russians are....well....Russians. So you can get in the same boat with them if you want, I will not be joining you (although I've been in the same bed with a few Russian women....but that's a different matter entirely as the bed was not stolen...)

Western Russians are undoubtably farangs they are Rus-Slavic folks for the most part and if they aren't European I don't know what is! LOL.

I asked a few Thais earlier about this and they respounded farang for Russian folk, although some of the eastern ones are asianish.

You neglected to read the OP. The owner of the boat was Uzbekistani.

The 20 year old man who stole the boat was Russian.

As mentioned in the story on PDN he used the key to start the boat and when he ran out of gas he hot stuck in the middle of the sea. This would imply that he didn't have the ability to sail and was relying on more fuel than was onboard at the time.

Maybe I'm a traditionalist but I always think it's a good idea to read a post before commenting on it.

• Like 1

Just a clarification regarding the marina-security comment.

Boat was not berthed at Ocean Marina.

Owner now enquiring about keeping his boat at Ocean Marina.

I have heard of boats around this size being stolen however I have always seen the culprits apprehended.

Too hard to hide and too many fishermen willing to offer assistance in sightings. Crime does not pay!

You neglected to read the OP. The owner of the boat was Uzbekistani.

The 20 year old man who stole the boat was Russian.

As mentioned in the story on PDN he used the key to start the boat and when he ran out of gas he hot stuck in the middle of the sea. This would imply that he didn't have the ability to sail and was relying on more fuel than was onboard at the time.

Maybe I'm a traditionalist but I always think it's a good idea to read a post before commenting on it.

I too am a traditionalist.......

I always read the complete thread before writing a coment. Your thoughtfull insights were covered really early on Page 1. thumbsup.gif

You seem to be a bit touchy on the Russian bashing front. Are you Russian? I did not mention anything about Russians in my post.

It was all Russian before it was all broken up so most people still relate to it. How can he take the boat out???

Probably the guards asleep or having a meal & beers.

• Like 1

Should have tried sailing to Australia. They would settle him up nicely in Papua. Political asylum? Seems Putin is after everybody, so that might wash. As far as term "farang" goes, unless you are from France, you really aren't farang. But we all look the same, and hey, we don't have that Thai specialness. You are either on the boat or off the boat. And it seems there are more blonde Russians here than there are blondes in Iceland...

Should have tried sailing to Australia. They would settle him up nicely in Papua. Political asylum? Seems Putin is after everybody, so that might wash. As far as term "farang" goes, unless you are from France, you really aren't farang. But we all look the same, and hey, we don't have that Thai specialness. You are either on the boat or off the boat. And it seems there are more blonde Russians here than there are blondes in Iceland...

What in Gods name are you blathering about....cheesy.gif quote from The big Lebowski movie.

Edited by dudu

I guess the young Russian failed to think things through properly before deciding to steal the boat. Step one: Steal boat for trip to Indonesia and the Philippines. Step two: Duh.

Ha ha, maybe the Russian knows the other Usbecki that kidnapped Italians and got them to phone Italy to ask for the ransom money...... Without knowing Italian

maybe the Russian was drunk or/and drugged. Probably he found some nice vodka shots on the "boat". Or why you think he is so stupid to sail without petrol/diesel???

If the guy were american there would be easy explonation.Somebody spiked his drink so it really isn't his fault!poor victim.

Absolutely not , I was referring to the article ... mentioning the guy was Russian when the same article says he is Uzbek ... I just dont like farang bashing on other farang ..as we are all in the same boat .. regardless of nationalities.

brush up on your reading mate, the BOAT OWNER was Uzbec

the THIEF was russian.

Did you not read the part about him finding the keys, and running out of gas and being unable to move on? It really helps to read the story before critiquing it.

Absolutely not , I was referring to the article ... mentioning the guy was Russian when the same article says he is Uzbek ... I just dont like farang bashing on other farang .as we are all in the same boat .. regardless of nationalities.

laugh.png

Once again I would like to remind all and sundry that Russians are NOT FARANGS. You can ask any Thai. To them Russians are....well....Russians. So you can get in the same boat with them if you want, I will not be joining you (although I've been in the same bed with a few Russian women....but that's a different matter entirely as the bed was not stolen...)

I'm so glad we agree!!!! Please take the honarrary "farang" title and keep it. Please exclude all Russians from being called this and proudly explain to all Thais " I AM FARANG! HE IS RuSsIAn, i enjoy being clustered with all Caucasian races no matter where they are from!!!" Roar!!!

Webfact: you are absolutelly correct. New "evidence" has come to light and I discovered the following picture of an actual Sailing Catamaran, linked in an article about this subject in the Pattaya Daily News: this IS indeed a proper Sailing Cat. and I reckon it to be about 34-36 Ft.

Now this story makes a bit more sense, hey ?

Cheers,

JaapFries

Ahaaaa; a "sail-boat: huh ? ?

Well; that blue catamaran in the picture is everything BUT a sail-boat; the fact that there's no mast on it, should have been a reasonable hint - besides that; the design is most definitely NOT of a sailing vessel.

In fact; this ugly contraption looks more like a small-channel ferry-boat, or possibly close-to-shore fishing charters, to my fairly-well trained eye !

If this Russian chap was planning to take "this" to Indonesia, he would have surely perished before getting halfway there or anywhere.

I know that 'beauty' is in the eye of the beholder; but this floating-disaster would look much more attractive on the bottom of the ocean ! ! !

Man who can't sail arrested after stealing boat and trying to sail to Indonesia
By Coconuts Bangkok

catamaran_at_portavogie_harbour_-_geogra

Notwithstanding that the thief was adrift and didn't know how to sail (which is pretty stupid if he is planning to sail to Indonesia) , I think it is the people at coconuts who know also nothing about sailboats. If you download the image above, it is named "catamaran_at_portavogie_harbour_-_geograph.org_.uk_-_591349.jpg"

Google tells me that Portavogie Harbour is in County Down, Northern Ireland. Therefore, this isn't the boat in question that was stolen.

I think that Coconuts did an internet photo search for "Catamaran" and apparently borrowed the first picture they found.

post-10410-0-90156500-1378514240_thumb.j

Webfact: you are absolutelly correct. New "evidence" has come to light and I discovered the following picture of an actual Sailing Catamaran, linked in an article about this subject in the Pattaya Daily News: this IS indeed a proper Sailing Cat. and I reckon it to be about 34-36 Ft.

Now this story makes a bit more sense, hey ?

Cheers,

JaapFries

A lot more sense.

I know that 'beauty' is in the eye of the beholder; but this floating-disaster would look much more attractive on the bottom of the ocean ! ! !

Can't disagree with that, but if she is a working boat and does her job efficiently, she doesn't have to be pretty.

On the other hand, whilst I can't deny the advantages of a sailing cat such as speed, stability, shallow draft, interior space, etc, I think that most of them are butt-ugly too.

why you want to split hairs?

if it looks Russian , sounds Russian then..... well????

They were all part of the old USSR. which most people referred to as Russia, so don't be surprised or offended when you see Ukrainians, Uzbeks' etc being referred to as Russian .!!!!

so what!!!

Ahaaaa; a "sail-boat: huh ? ?

Well; that blue catamaran in the picture is everything BUT a sail-boat; the fact that there's no mast on it, should have been a reasonable hint - besides that; the design is most definitely NOT of a sailing vessel.

In fact; this ugly contraption looks more like a small-channel ferry-boat, or possibly close-to-shore fishing charters, to my fairly-well trained eye !

If this Russian chap was planning to take "this" to Indonesia, he would have surely perished before getting halfway there or anywhere.

Man who can't sail arrested after stealing boat and trying to sail to Indonesia

By Coconuts Bangkok

catamaran_at_portavogie_harbour_-_geogra

PRANBURI: -- A Russian man was arrested Thursday after allegedly stealing a catamaran from Chon Buri's Sattahip district on Sunday.

The man apparently did not know how to sail, as the stolen boat was found adrift off the coast of Phetchaburi, with the suspect on board, after running out of fuel, police said.

Astrakhantcev Aetpaxahueb, 20, initially refused to surrender to maritime police from Prachuap Khiri Khan's Pran Buri district.

He eventually relented however and and allegedly confessed to stealing the catamaran from Bang Sare beach in Chon Buri.

It took officers a full hour to talk the suspect, who was hiding below deck, into surrendering, police said. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/09/06/man-who-cant-sail-arrested-after-stealing-boat-and-trying-sail-indonesia

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-09-06

You know I didn't even associate that picture to the story. I assumed it must of been the vessel that saved him or just a random picture . But yes you are right it is a piece of crap I'd be embarrassed to be seen on it.. It certainly wouldn't give the fantasy boat cruise you would have thought from stealing a yacht. I almost though yes! what a cool thing to do, nick a boat, and sail off somewhere become a play boy for a few weeks ....

The boat owner may have an Uzbek passport but he is Russian-Uzbek as his Russian name "Mr. Olec Okorodof" clearly suggests. So this is a case of a Russian person stealing from another Russian :).

Bashing on idiots would take too long ...... and would be a total waste of time , specially virtually.

' After tracking down the sailboat they also found a young Russian citizen 20 years old,' Read again he is Russian.

Bashing on idiots would take too long ...... and would be a total waste of time , specially virtually.

' After tracking down the sailboat they also found a young Russian citizen 20 years old,' Read again he is Russian.

There have been some unwarranted and nasty comments directed at Russians on this thread. Here is the rule:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

This guy does not hold a monopoly on misbehavior. I know a lot of 20 year olds from a lot of countries that could make this guy look like an amateur.

Please keep your comments civil and follow the rules.

blimey, if you apply that rule consistently it will be very quiet on here

There have been some unwarranted and nasty comments directed at Russians on this thread. Here is the rule:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

This guy does not hold a monopoly on misbehavior. I know a lot of 20 year olds from a lot of countries that could make this guy look like an amateur.

Please keep your comments civil and follow the rules.

blimey, if you apply that rule consistently it will be very quiet on here

I am a Brit and we have taken our fair share of bashing over the years. I welcome the Russians as it takes the heat off us. Lol

Again: if you don't like Russian so much why don't you go back to your wonderful Farangland country? Because seems like Russkies here don't give a sh*t about you..