PM Yingluck mulls 'Rubber City' for Thailand

webfact

I don't know much about the quantities of rubber that Thailand produces. BUT this seems like a practical idea. Tires and tubes consume the most rubber.I think with some support that some investors would be willing to buy up the Goodyear EQ. that is left rusting in the states and set it up in "rubber city" and there you would have value added and the price returned would be greater. AT the same time you could buy up the rubber hose EQ. that is no longer used in the states and do the same thing.Those two enterprises would probably use up Thailand supply and then they could become an importer of rubber.

Thailand, hub of lame duck state-subsidised industry. Same same as Britain in the Calaghan era.

Let's get a woman prime minister to rescue the economy from becoming the lame man of Asia. ///..../// oh hang on a minute... we've tried that.

Maybe the London Rubber Company would consider a joint venture? (51/49 % of course).

Just think of all the branding opportunities - Fragrant Thai, Lemongrass, Tom Yum, Som Tam and Blue Boy flavours. Very exotic.

"Pattaya specials" - guaranteed extra thick, no rip and self disinfecting. "Bangkok big bangers" for the big boys in town, endless opportunities.

Could become the condom hub centre for APAC.

Every time she speaks she decreases the sum total of human knowledge

Solution

Tell them to grow something else

To be honest, you didn't add much to the sum total of human knowledge with that post.

Rubber trees take from 5-7 years to mature from planting, and the investment in getting them to maturity is substantial.

To suggest as a 'solution' that Thai farmers rip them up and 'grow something else' on their limited land is completely .... well, not adding to 'the sum total of human knowledge', shall we say.

So, if I spend 7 years working hard and saving money and then use that money to open a bar which fails, the government should bail me out?

Bailing out losing private businesses with taxpayer dollars and in this case it would have to be more government debt doesn't really add much to the sum total of human knowledge, should we say.

We can't bail out every investor who loses his butt just because we feel bad for him.

Every time she speaks she decreases the sum total of human knowledge

Solution

Tell them to grow something else

To be honest, you didn't add much to the sum total of human knowledge with that post.

Rubber trees take from 5-7 years to mature from planting, and the investment in getting them to maturity is substantial..

That's what worries me. If the price is low now, what happens when all the trees planted, 5,4,3,2 years ago, come on line? If Thai rubber production increases by a large percentage, will the domestic price fall even further? I guess they are suggesting domestic production can be boosted by building Tarmac roads, but that might be a 1 year boost rather than the 20 year boost that a bigger rubber output would need.

Someone needs to look at sustainable domestic consumption figures and see how that matches against current and anticipated rubber output. That will indicate which way prices are likely to go.

And btw, an aticficially high domestic rubber price due to subsidy, runs the risk of being undercut but cheap imports. Just look back at what happened to several countries steel industries a decade or so ago.

Maybe I'm overly out of touch with the slang of some countries, but I was certainly put right when my department's American secretary told me that it was inappropriate for me to ask her for a large rubber!

Geeze. All I wanted to do was to erase some mistakes.

A few years earlier, I was in the UK, and asked the secretary for a roll of Durex. I soon learned that adhesive tape was the correct term and 'Durex' did not come in rolls but packs of one!

blink.png

I think we should stick to the name 'Big Mango' for BKK and leave it at that.

I'm not at all sure that Yingluck could mull wine.

If it is found that introducing rubber into an asphalt compound is a viable and cost effective solution I would welcome the resurfacing of the concrete roads thus ridding us of the constant drumming of passing over the joins between blocks. I'm sure that such a move would not go down well with Siam Cement bearing in mind who their larget shareholder is.

I'm not at all sure that Yingluck could mull wine.

If it is found that introducing rubber into an asphalt compound is a viable and cost effective solution I would welcome the resurfacing of the concrete roads thus ridding us of the constant drumming of passing over the joins between blocks. I'm sure that such a move would not go down well with Siam Cement bearing in mind who their larget shareholder is.

It's a fact that it is. Therefore, thanks for an excellent post.

Respect 2 ya.

Maybe I'm overly out of touch with the slang of some countries, but I was certainly put right when my department's American secretary told me that it was inappropriate for me to ask her for a large rubber!

Geeze. All I wanted to do was to erase some mistakes.

A few years earlier, I was in the UK, and asked the secretary for a roll of Durex. I soon learned that adhesive tape was the correct term and 'Durex' did not come in rolls but packs of one!

blink.png

I think we should stick to the name 'Big Mango' for BKK and leave it at that.

Did the secretary not point out to you that rubbers are meant to erase your mistakes before you make them? :)