Optimum food supplements for children

MJP

I could really do with some help on this one.

My eldest daughter is not eating the right foods. She lives with her mother who does care, but can't seem to change the little ones diet.

The impact is fairly obvious. She is distant, a little slow and very forgetful. Mum thinks it's mild autism, but I think it's down to poor diet.

I've done the usual Googling, but wondered if anyone here has any experience of this.

Many thanks

A good pediatrician's evaluation would be advisable.

How old is she?

Meanwhile, get a combined multivitamin and iron complex that includes iron, folic acid and all the B vitamins (check the RDAs, the closer to 100% the better).

And do describe just what her diet consist of. And for how long has she been "distant, slow and forgetful"? Underlying anxiety over a problem unknownst to you could also be at play, especially of this is a fairly recent situation.

Autism would usually be apparent by age 2-3 years, if she was normal then and these symptoms developed later then that is unlikely to be the cause.

Also -- where does she live and does the family use iodized salt? (Iodine deficiency exists in some parts of Thailand)

A good pediatrician's evaluation would be advisable.

How old is she?

Meanwhile, get a combined multivitamin and iron complex that includes iron, folic acid and all the B vitamins (check the RDAs, the closer to 100% the better).

And do describe just what her diet consist of. And for how long has she been "distant, slow and forgetful"? Underlying anxiety over a problem unknownst to you could also be at play, especially of this is a fairly recent situation.

Autism would usually be apparent by age 2-3 years, if she was normal then and these symptoms developed later then that is unlikely to be the cause.

Also -- where does she live and does the family use iodized salt? (Iodine deficiency exists in some parts of Thailand)

Thank you Sheryl.

She's 10.

She lives on the outskirts of Bang Lamung, quite comfortable but I think moving from Roi-Et was a very bad idea. Could well be the source of anxiety. I'm away a lot at work and we have a close relationship.

Family keen on iodized salt, but diet is noodles and not much besides.

I think consulting a pediatrician is the next step.

If she is subsisting mostly on noodles then micronutrient deficiencies (including anemia) very possible, do get her on a good supplement, making sure it includes all the B's, folic and iron, and in reasonable quantities i.e. 100% RDA.

If she seemed OK prior to the move at age 10, this is certainly not autism. Homesickness is possibly part of it but so are a host of other things that might be worrying her or causing her anxiety, some of them serious. Not to alarm you, but sexual assault is very common in girls in Thailand and children will often tell no-one and become withdrawn afterwards..hopefully nothing of the sort here, but it would be a good idea for her to be evaluated by both a pediatrician and a child psychologist, someone skilled at drawing her out to find out just what is going on.

Being bullied/teased at her new school is also a possibility. Especially with a girl from Isaan. Lost of prejudice towards Issan-ers in the rest of Thailand

I would suggest fish oil as the number one supplement to consider.

This is especially good for cognitive function and omega threes are nearly always depleted in people with poor diets.

I would also as Sheryl has mentioned get a good B complex.

There is the 'seven seas' brand that should be ok. I give it to my son sometimes - he's a fussy eater and hard t get enough vegetables into him, though he says he eats it at school.

A lot of kids can't swallow pills. Are there any other good edible multivitamins that kids can take? Might help the OP, myself and others. Some kids seem to each everything bar the kitchen sink, but I think many are more fussy eaters. I was as a kid but grew out of it later on.

There is the 'seven seas' brand that should be ok. I give it to my son sometimes - he's a fussy eater and hard t get enough vegetables into him, though he says he eats it at school.

A lot of kids can't swallow pills. Are there any other good edible multivitamins that kids can take? Might help the OP, myself and others. Some kids seem to each everything bar the kitchen sink, but I think many are more fussy eaters. I was as a kid but grew out of it later on.

We use 7 seas cod liver oil syrup for our 6 year old. It includes multivitamine supplement is orang flavoured and quite palatable.