Australians Travelling to Thailand or anywhere else overseas.

It has been bought to my attention, that the Dept of Veteran Affairs (DVA), Centrelink and Immigration are now all linked up on their computers.

It is advisable to all travelling overseas for more than 6 weeks, to notify who ever is paying you, as any overpays will be deducted and I'm not sure but there can be penalties as well for not notifying any of them within 14 days.

Just a heads up.

OZEMADE

• Like 2

How do you know this?

For example the DIAC—Centrelink Residence and Portability Datalink Project completed in 2008. The government has spent & is continuing to invest millions of dollars connecting the databases between associated Departments including sophisticated data mining capabilities. Another example is the sharing of data between ATO & Centrelink for fraud detection by claimants

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

The Immigration computers and linked to the CentreLink system and if one does not notify them prior to leaving the country there is a penalty. One is now only permitted to remain out of the country for six weeks at a time, it used to be thirteen,

How do you know this?

I was informed by Centrelink on line as I am the nominee for both my mother and my Thai wife, who receives 2X Carer allowances. I informed Centrelink on line, that we were going overseas on holidays and would be away for 3 months.

The on line letter from Centrelink stated, that DIAC had informed Centrelink that we were still on holidays in Thailand (I had not told them where we were going on holidays) and that the Carer allowance would cease after 6 weeks. I then had a look at my pay that I get from the Dept of Veteran Affairs (DVA) and noticed that they had also taken out some allowances after the 6 weeks. Obviously they had been informed by Centrelink or DIAC.

These allowances and Carer allowances will be reinstated when we arrive back in Australia.

I don't have a problem with any of the above info, was just alerting others to what now goes on.

Edited by OZEMADE
  • Like 1

How do you know this?

I was informed by Centrelink on line as I am the nominee for both my mother and my Thai wife, who receives 2X Carer allowances. I informed Centrelink on line, that we were going overseas on holidays and would be away for 3 months.

The on line letter from Centrelink stated, that DIAC had informed Centrelink that we were still on holidays in Thailand (I had not told them where we were going on holidays) and that the Carer allowance would cease after 6 weeks. I then had a look at my pay that I get from the Dept of Veteran Affairs (DVA) and noticed that they had also taken out some allowances after the 6 weeks. Obviously they had been informed by Centrelink or DIAC.

These allowances and Carer allowances will be reinstated when we arrive back in Australia.

I don't have a problem with any of the above info, was just alerting others to what now goes on.

Thanks for sharing and exactly as it should be (reinstated on return) ...

So,does that mean that the Australian Government can tell me where I can live

and how long I can go on holiday for ??

Nope, what the Australian Government is that if it is paying you a Pension, then the extra allowances which are paid will be suspended while you are away from Australia.

Pensions are not a right, they a benefit to people who have no other means of sustainable financial support.

If you can holiday overseas for an extended period, then, most likely you are desperately in need of financial support.

Just my thoughts ... I'm sure others will disagree.

Yes, they are all linked-up and rightly so. No reason for Aussie Taxpayers (of which I was one for 40+ Years) to have to fork out for dole bludgers

who decide to take an overseas vacation.

Out of the 7 million Australians who receive welfare payments from Centrelink, it would be more likely the receivers of middle class welfare, not the unemployed, who are taking overseas holidays.

This is not new news to me. When I left Melbourne to move to Thailand in 2010 Centrelink immediatley informed me by PDF that they knew I had left the country and therefore removed my medical benifit allowance etc down to the basic pension. No additional allowances have been paid to me for 3 years. And if and when I return to Australia they tell me that there is a delay of six weeks before allowances can be restored.

• Like 1

This is not new news to me. When I left Melbourne to move to Thailand in 2010 Centrelink immediatley informed me by PDF that they knew I had left the country and therefore removed my medical benefit allowance etc down to the basic pension. No additional allowances have been paid to me for 3 years. And if and when I return to Australia they tell me that there is a delay of six weeks before allowances can be restored.

Yep---the same goes for N.Z

What I don't get is-- after 50 years of paying taxes--the medical allowance ceases if you move to Thailand--I mean-- Is'nt a medical problem in Aus/Nz---is the same problem in Thailand--or am I missing something??

This is not new news to me. When I left Melbourne to move to Thailand in 2010 Centrelink immediatley informed me by PDF that they knew I had left the country and therefore removed my medical benefit allowance etc down to the basic pension. No additional allowances have been paid to me for 3 years. And if and when I return to Australia they tell me that there is a delay of six weeks before allowances can be restored.

What I don't get is-- after 50 years of paying taxes--the medical allowance ceases if you move to Thailand--I mean-- Is'nt a medical problem in Aus/Nz---is the same problem in Thailand--or am I missing something??

If that was the case we wouldn't need travel insurance.

If you look at the reciprocal agreements with UK & Oz you will see that there are criteria applied and do not cover all medical expenses. No such agreement with thailand, lobby your MP - best of luck!

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealand-health-system/eligibility-publicly-funded-health-services/reciprocal-health-agreements

This is not new news to me. When I left Melbourne to move to Thailand in 2010 Centrelink immediatley informed me by PDF that they knew I had left the country and therefore removed my medical benifit allowance etc down to the basic pension. No additional allowances have been paid to me for 3 years. And if and when I return to Australia they tell me that there is a delay of six weeks before allowances can be restored.

There may be a delay for 6 weeks, however you will be back paid from the date you applied/tell them you are back in country.