Thai Transport Minister: No taxi fare hike

webfact

No Taxi Fare Hike: Transport Minister
By Khaosod Online

taxi.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Transport Minister Chatchart Sitthipan has denied any imminent increase of fares for metered taxi in Thailand.

Previously, a report has been circulated on the social network that a group of taxi business representatives have asked the Ministry of Transport for a fare hike, from 35 baht at the start to 50 baht, and aim to charge the passengers 100 baht instead of the current rate of 50 baht if they hail the cab from the airports.

Mr. Chatchart said the Ministry is not considering such increase, and would try to fix the current rate "as long as possible".

The minister also revealed his plan to establish taxi stops throughout Bangkok so that the drivers can park their cars and wait for the passengers, instead of having to drive around, burning fuel, in order to seek the passengers on the roads.

Around 40% of the taxis on the roads at any moment are running without passengers, Mr. Chatchart said. He told our correspondent he hopes that the new policy would help taxi drivers to cut fuel cost.

Meanwhile, the minister has ordered Department of Land Transport (DLT) to survey numbers of minivans running on inter-regional routes, which links between Bangkok and other regions.

Mr. Chatchart said that the research should allow the ministry to speculate real demands for each route.

"We must study if we have enough supply in response to the demand" said Mr. Chatchart, "if necessary, the ministry will arrange registration system to bring illegal vans into the system".

Mr. Chatchart has previously expressed his wish to curb on the unregistered public vans that often run in the route of licensed minivans.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM09EUTJOek14TkE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-09-07

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These rates have been set for over a decade. The cost of everything else has risen substantially.

Possibly, if given a better rate, they might have a little more integrity.

Get off the beaten path and the "set fare" and refused fares, aren't so common. It's really only common in areas where the stupid farang will oblige.

Sorry, gonna disagree with you on that one. It happens all over Bangkok now, not just the "farang" areas, and it affects Thai's equally (if not more) than it affects "farang".

As for "integrity", sorry that went out the window a long time ago in most instances.

• Like 2

These rates have been set for over a decade. The cost of everything else has risen substantially.

Get off the beaten path and the "set fare" and refused fares, aren't so common. It's really only common in areas where the stupid farang will oblige.

Sorry, gonna disagree with you on that one. It happens all over Bangkok now, not just the "farang" areas, and it affects Thai's equally (if not more) than it affects "farang".

As for "integrity", sorry that went out the window a long time ago in most instances.

It appears to me the PTP is now starting to bite the hands that feed them. Or should I say keeps them in power.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

It would be better news if they came out with something like. We will allow a small increase BUT....If a taxi refuses a fare or to turn its meter on, the car will be crushed without notice.

That could have serious health effects on the passengers.

I always have hassles, around Sukhumvit, Silom, South Ratchada. I have never had a problem elsewhere.

Most of them are just trying to put food on the table. If given a fair return on their investment, they may not need to resort to price gouging.

Look at the recent rise in expressway tolls. Is it costing more for all the wondeful maintenance ?! No; they just want more money for the same thing, with no real justification.

But, don't get me wrong; I dispise the little taxi bastards too. It's just that my dislike is based on having to share the road with them when on my motorcycle or driving.

It's unfair to hold the fares at the current level. Inflation hits everybody equally and normally hits people involved in the motoring trade more. Get the fares up and let them earn.

All the other issues are valid and a matter for licensing and enforcement, however deliberately driving small businesses and businessman into poverty is out of order. No wonder these guys resort to fare fixing stunts to survive.

ps. I agree with Tatsujin re the Thais being affected, all of my Thai friends that bring the subject up have the same complaints.

• Like 2

Never had a problem with taxis in BKK myself.

Only one time have we came across one that would not use the meter, just said no thank you and got the next one.

There have been a couple of time when one has stopped but not wanted to take us where we wanted to go but there was probably a reason for that, plenty more taxis anyway.

Little wonder that they would not want to stop for farang when you see comments like : "IMO 95% of them are in the category of scum of the earth"

Probably made by someone who drives their own car.

The Taxis deserve a raise in start fare for the job they have to do driving around in that lunatic rat race and what with raise in fuel price from 8.5b to 10.5b (about 20%) at discount price and going up and the general cost of living going up.

I see elsewhere the pollies have just given themselves a 15,000b a month pension for life but cant give the taxi drivers any more.

Hope the Taxis don't go on strike over this gonna need one next week.

If only half of those who drive private cars in the city (most with only one person in) were to leave their cars at home the traffic problem would go a long way to being fixed.

• Like 2

Soon the Taxi drivers will take to the streets demanding fare hikes. Why not everybody else wants something. Populist policies backfire!

Exactly. The government seems to be hell bent on creating chaos

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Around 40% of the taxis on the roads at any moment are running without passengers, Mr. Chatchart said.

Well, perhaps the taxi drivers should stop refusing to pick up fares or stop asking for a 200 Baht 'no meter' flat rate fare. Despite the recent 'laws' prohibiting these practices, these problems are still rife in and around central Bangkok.

They certainly are.

My MBA students were talking about this about a week back.

I asked them 'so why do you open the front door, tell the taxi driver where you want to go and then wait for his 'decision'?'

I continued 'just open the back door and get in and tell the taxi driver your destination.'

Response from most students ' I'm too frightened to do that, I'm frightened of taxi drivers'.

Also recently I had one driver insist (he spoke OK English) that farang had to pay 100Baht extra on top of the amount on the meter. In reality I wanted to go about 700 meters only but not walk because of a leg problem, and I explained all of this to the driver. Again he insisted +100Baht. I got out of the taxi.

Having said all of that there are of course plenty of drivers who are polite and responsible.

It appears to me the PTP is now starting to bite the hands that feed them. Or should I say keeps them in power.

Starting? They've been doing that from day 1 . . . their sole goal is to enrich themselves and their "friends", pure and simple ... the rest of the country be damned as far as they are concerned.

As an aside, it's really nice to no longer see any of the TV experts defending them any more. I wonder if that means they accept that the other side of the argument was correct from the beginning?

• Like 1

You need to reevaluate your position. You are suggesting that the government can buy their integrity by allowing an increase in a fare rate which is in my opinion, currently adequate. That may align with Thai culture, however, it will not alleviate the problems with taxi's in metropolitan Bangkok.

It is very much a chicken and egg scenario and I agree that driving a taxi in Bangkok is an ardeous affair in which the root cause lies within the total failure of the government to provide adequate road and public transportation. Traffic jams in the metropolis have increased significantly over the past decade.

Further more the government and the RTP pay little more than lip service regarding errant taxi drivers and refusal and fare hikes.

Having lived here for many years I can assure you that trying to get a taxi at most times of the day from central Bangkok out to any of the extremities of the so called metropolis is a nightmare with 10 to 15 refusals being common. The mindset of most taxi's is promulgated by the conjestion caused by the failure of the government to tackle the the transport needs and realities of this city and the RTP to play an active role in control and enforcement. Simply a bridge too far and has little to do with "stupid falangs"

Around 40% of the taxis on the roads at any moment are running without passengers, Mr. Chatchart said.

Well, perhaps the taxi drivers should stop refusing to pick up fares or stop asking for a 200 Baht 'no meter' flat rate fare. Despite the recent 'laws' prohibiting these practices, these problems are still rife in and around central Bangkok.

You too the words right out of my mouth. Went through 8 taxis last Friday night. Finally one that recognized me from a previous fare stopped and picked me up. The laws regarding taxis in this country are a JOKE!

• Like 1

Thought they didn't use the metres and just plucked a price out of the air anyway. If they actually used the metres that would get less.

If they actually used the "Metres" perhaps they would get "Yards".

Those devices with the red numbers are actually "Meters"

Dyslexia rules.... OK

It would be better news if they came out with something like. We will allow a small increase BUT....If a taxi refuses a fare or to turn its meter on, the car will be crushed without notice.

I hope the driver is notified and allowed to exit the vehicle before it is crushed ... or maybe not, eh?

Edited by MaxYakov

Soon the Taxi drivers will take to the streets demanding fare hikes. Why not everybody else wants something. Populist policies backfire!

Exactly. The government seems to be hell bent on creating chaos

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If there's one thing the red shirts love more than the red shirts its money..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I always tip the driver anyway. I'm not really bothered by the taxi smelling bad, you expect that in hot countries especially where everyone eats garlic. I do have concerns about the safety of taxis, especially the no-seatbelts problem and the way some taxis just stop running suddenly. I would sooner pay higher fares and have well-maintained vehicle engines, and with seatbelts in them. But the prices are okay, at least where I live they always run a fair meter and so I always tip them because relative to my income the fares are dirt cheap, and I'm an honoured guest in this great nation so I am thankful for that and always tip for services not just taxis.

Tipping, isn't that some weird American custom?  You pay them to provide a service and then you pay them again for accepting payment.  In Australia we pay once.

Thats why service sucks in australia

The US has the best customer service in the world because of tipping

Didn't you know that there, crocodile dundee?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I always tip the driver anyway. I'm not really bothered by the taxi smelling bad, you expect that in hot countries especially where everyone eats garlic. I do have concerns about the safety of taxis, especially the no-seatbelts problem and the way some taxis just stop running suddenly. I would sooner pay higher fares and have well-maintained vehicle engines, and with seatbelts in them. But the prices are okay, at least where I live they always run a fair meter and so I always tip them because relative to my income the fares are dirt cheap, and I'm an honoured guest in this great nation so I am thankful for that and always tip for services not just taxis.

Where can I apply for "honoured guest" status in this "great nation"? I must have missed the booth at the airport and immigration. How much does it cost? 1,900 baht or some such?

Edited by MaxYakov