Frozen Cod in Thailand

gennisis

After 5 attempts to cook the fish I am giving up.

Defrosted slowly in every case.

Floured,battered and fried...tough and chewy.

Braised in milk...tough and chewy.

Grilled with butter...tough and chewy.

Tasteless in every way.

I have been buying t.he usual cod and the premium North Atlantic Cod at Rimping,

So rather than waste my money it will be back to the Snapper,grouper ,salmon and Dory

I have spent the better part of my life in Newfoundland - we know our fish and I like you have made many attempts to prepare the frozen fillets with zero luck. I know they are flash frozen and keep fresh for months but something with this species in particular just doesn't cut it once frozen.

The only time I've come close is if I wrap the filet with Parma ham. I've also made an egg white/mayo batter and that seals the flavour in nicely but I'm having issues with a convection oven here. It's simple to do 4 eggs whites, fold in a tablespoon of salad cream or mayo and on the fish spritz some lemon juice then apply the egg white batter and bake.

I'm back to snapper and grouper and salmon for gravlax only.

giant sea perch sold in Thailand is not a seawater fish, Its real name is estuary perch. It is farmed in fresh water all over Thailand. It is usually frozen and then sent to Bangkok and then palmed off to unsuspecting buyers as a sea fish and now some restaurants are selling it as white snapper! Occasionally you can buy the real ones caught in river mounths and provided they are fresh are quite good to eat. Thier color has a lot of gold in it unlike the farmed variety which I cosider pretty tasteless.

I can only suggest that the cod is oversized and old, hence tough and exported as not suitable for european consumption. Only a guess because meat from old cows is normally tough. I have used frozen cod many times and it has always been great. I used to buy frozen cod from Makro in Korat, it was excellent in taste and texture but unfortunately they dont stock it any more. Fish in general is very suitable for freezing so very unlikely this is the problem. I now use frozen Pollock from Makro and very good for all cooking methods in my experience.

I can only suggest that the cod is oversized and old, hence tough and exported as not suitable for european consumption. Only a guess because meat from old cows is normally tough. I have used frozen cod many times and it has always been great. I used to buy frozen cod from Makro in Korat, it was excellent in taste and texture but unfortunately they dont stock it any more. Fish in general is very suitable for freezing so very unlikely this is the problem. I now use frozen Pollock from Makro and very good for all cooking methods in my experience.

got some pollock this morning bill,so tomorrow will try with batter made with chang,and mushy peas.

got some pollock this morning bill,so tomorrow will try with batter made with chang,and mushy peas.

Batter with Chang, a man of taste, less open people say Beer Batter. I also use Chang and I use it in a lot of cooking, Beef and Stout Pie, no stout then I use Chang. I also use Chang when I make Yorkshire Puddings, fantastic. Enjoy your Fish (Chips?) and Mushy Peas. Please let me know how the Pollock in "Beer Batter" turns out. Kind regards, Bill

When in Rome. Forget about trying to replicate nasty greasy British food in Thailand. Buy fresh fish at the market and make Pla Rat Prik or some other Thai dish.

Proper cod is neither nasty, greasy or British it's a wonderful fish - sadly what we're able to buy frozen doesn't do the species justice.

Agreed try other fish and either go native or improvise new recipes.