Looking for Arts/crafts type hobby store (not RC stuff)

Kiniyeow

Arts & Crafts stores that would be familiar to Americans and Europeans do not exist here to my knowledge.

As an artist myself, I bring most of what I need from the US.

Art supplies - of mostly student quality - are available at several shops in Chiang Mai. For supplies related to specific crafts - woodcarving, pottery, jewelery-making, etc., I would suggest you go to where those things are being made and ask where to buy tools and supplies. Ban Tawai, for instance.

Choke dee.

You can find a full selection of oil and acrylic paints, canvases and stretchers, brushes, student-quality wood carving tools, ceramic tools and clays, paper and card stock, and other crafts supplies in good number (for northern Thailand, that is) in the upper two floors of the book/stationary store a few doors in from the UN Irish Pub. It's the first place I look when needing craft supplies.

Central, in Kad Suen Kaew has a small selection of paints, brushes, canvases and papers in the back of the book store area.

Edited by FolkGuitar

You can find a full selection of oil and acrylic paints, canvases and stretchers, brushes, student-quality wood carving tools, ceramic tools and clays, paper and card stock, and other crafts supplies in good number (for northern Thailand, that is) in the upper two floors of the book/stationary store a few doors in from the UN Irish Pub. It's the first place I look when needing craft supplies.

Central, in Kad Suen Kaew has a small selection of paints, brushes, canvases and papers in the back of the book store area.

I agree with you; probably the best - certainly the biggest - art store in Chiang Mai is Udompon on Ratvithi near Sompet Market. Followed by Likisin on Sri Poom and the B2S outlets, as already mentioned, in Airport Plaza and Central KSK.

The only problem is that the quality of most of the goods on offer leaves a lot to be desired. There are some exceptions, LeFranc&Bourgeois oils, acrylics, and mediums; Daler Rowney linseed oil and turpentine; W/N Liquin and a few other things.

As regards tools and materials for craftwork, the situation is even worse. These stores have very little, and what they do have is, as you noted about the wood-carving tools, student quality

The Kohn Muang and the hilltribes have been producing fine and decorative artwork for centuries. Anyone interested in arts and crafts should try to make contact with the craftspeople themselves for tools, materials, and insight into their highly refined folkarts.

Edited by CMHomeboy78

• 4 months later...

Can anyone direct me to where I can find iron-on patches for clothing (i.e. sports jacket) in Chiang Mai? I have a few designs that I would like to print out and iron onto the sleeves of my sports jacket.

There are a number of small shops that make heat-transfer fabric stickers in Chiang Mai.

Your original artwork can be scanned and printed, then applied to the garment right at the shop.

The place I have used - but I forget the name - is on the lower level of Big C [formerly Auchan] at the Ton Jaan intersection of Hwy.11 going to Lampang.

I have also heard that there were a few places near the main entrance to CMU.

And I'm sure there are others around.

Hope you find one.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread to see if there are any updates/other shops around.

New shop selling paints/oils of mostly student quality but some premium grade paints available too in MAYA shopping mall.

Wanting to find somewhere selling plastercast moulds for my son, if anybody can advise somewhere they have seen them, the figurines are available in every central for kids to paint but never found the moulds themselves.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

New shop selling paints/oils of mostly student quality but some premium grade paints available too in MAYA shopping mall.
Wanting to find somewhere selling plastercast moulds for my son, if anybody can advise somewhere they have seen them, the figurines are available in every central for kids to paint but never found the moulds themselves.

There are boxes of rubber molds on the 2nd floor of the Art/Book/Stationary shop next to the UN Irish Pub. As you come up the steps, the boxes can be found on the floor against the wall facing the stairs, about 10 meters to the right, behind the first few isles of goods. There are boxes with bags of plaster right beside them. I have no idea what these are molds of.

Edited by FolkGuitar

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There are boxes of rubber molds on the 2nd floor of the Art/Book/Stationary shop next to the UN Irish Pub. As you come up the steps, the boxes can be found on the floor against the wall facing the stairs, about 10 meters to the right, behind the first few isles of goods. There are boxes with bags of plaster right beside them. I have no idea what these are molds of.

You are correct and the name of the shop is Zirieng Stationery Store and is virtually opposite the 7 11. I think some of the molds are of kids play/cartoon animals but not sure about all of them.

Thanks FolkGuitar and CMKiwi I found them yesterday, few of you typical thai cartoons doramon etc, along with animals, bears and other 'cutsey' things.

Will check back another day and see if the selection changes much, impressed with the selection of other craft goods in there (by thai standards) nice selection of cutting blades that I haven't found elsewhere.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. Bit of an urgent one here. Need to find a shop selling bottle corks / bottle caps / rubber bottle stops for beer bottles.

Ive looked all around china town aswell as hopme pro / baan and beyond / makro / big c / index living mall... nothing!

Anyone know or have any ideas?

34 minutes ago, imagex said:

Hi guys. Bit of an urgent one here. Need to find a shop selling bottle corks / bottle caps / rubber bottle stops for beer bottles.

Ive looked all around china town aswell as hopme pro / baan and beyond / makro / big c / index living mall... nothing!

Anyone know or have any ideas?

Here's a Thai company that I've used if bottle caps will work for you. They delivered when and as promised.

http://www.brew-by-me.com/en/product/28/ฝาจีบ-สีเงิน-100-ฝา