Tourists... ?

robertthebruce

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you live here, or holiday here and are just noticing it?

The changing demographics of the tourists to Phuket has been happening for a while now.

It's mainly Russian, Chinese and Indian package holiday makers. They buy the holiday "package" - flights, accommodation and tours, very cheaply in their home country. Then, when here, holiday just as cheaply.

The traditional western market now detour Phuket for other destinations in Thailand, or neighbouring countries.

I believe many Scandi and German tourists, and expats, have left Phuket for Hua Hin. I have been to Hua Hin, but not recently. I will visit there again soon and have a look.

In my opinion, for those who know better (the western market) Phuket does not represent a value for money holiday anymore and has become a very "tourist unfriendly" place to visit now.

Basically, other places in Thailand, and neighbouring countries, have nice beaches, bars, restaurants, cafes, hotels, adult entertainment and nightlife etc etc but without all the BS that goes with a holiday on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

The changing demographics of the tourists to Phuket has been happening for a while now.

It's mainly Russian, Chinese and Indian package holiday makers. They buy the holiday "package" - flights, accommodation and tours, very cheaply in their home country. Then, when here, holiday just as cheaply.

The traditional western market now detour Phuket for other destinations in Thailand, or neighbouring countries.

I believe many Scandi and German tourists, and expats, have left Phuket for Hua Hin. I have been to Hua Hin, but not recently. I will visit there again soon and have a look.

In my opinion, for those who know better (the western market) Phuket does not represent a value for money holiday anymore and has become a very "tourist unfriendly" place to visit now.

Basically, other places in Thailand, and neighbouring countries, have nice beaches, bars, restaurants, cafes, hotels, adult entertainment and nightlife etc etc but without all the BS that goes with a holiday on Phuket.

True, but although I haven't been there since I was a young kid I would imagine the increase in flights from Australia (Perth, Sydney and soon, Melbourne) direct to Phuket will mean more Australian travellers than in the past and also there are now Copenhagen and Stockholm to Phuket flights operated by THAI. Years ago there were also tourists from these other markets, but it seems like Thai Smile is bringing more Indians directly to Phuket whereas previously they mostly only went to Bangkok. Of course the Russians are coming in larger and larger numbers due to direct flight connections - just like in Vietnam the Russians mostly like to go straight to the beaches rather than linger in large cities like Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh, although in Bangkok you will find a few Russian tourists at Paragon, all of whom go there on Pegas bus tours.

Perhaps the Russians and Chinese, Indians and others will eventually also go on to other destinations once they find out how it feels to get scammed in Phuket.

True, but although I haven't been there since I was a young kid I would imagine the increase in flights from Australia (Perth, Sydney and soon, Melbourne) direct to Phuket will mean more Australian travellers than in the past and also there are now Copenhagen and Stockholm to Phuket flights operated by THAI. Years ago there were also tourists from these other markets, but it seems like Thai Smile is bringing more Indians directly to Phuket whereas previously they mostly only went to Bangkok. Of course the Russians are coming in larger and larger numbers due to direct flight connections - just like in Vietnam the Russians mostly like to go straight to the beaches rather than linger in large cities like Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh, although in Bangkok you will find a few Russian tourists at Paragon, all of whom go there on Pegas bus tours.

Perhaps the Russians and Chinese, Indians and others will eventually also go on to other destinations once they find out how it feels to get scammed in Phuket.

Many are using the Phuket International Airport as a stopover for other destinations in Thailand. They take the cheap flight to Phuket, but don't actually stay here, although, I am sure they are counted as a tourist number.

I am not sure the Russians, Chinese and Indians are getting scammed too much. They have their coach buses to transport them around, which stops the biggest rip off here, transport, and they shop in places like Big C for food and alcohol, where prices are standard, and marked.

They are simply not having the "interaction" that exposes them to be ripped off, scammed, overcharged etc etc.

All of this means, there's less money into the local Phuket economy, which unfortunately means for us expats, and other returning tourists, prices will continue to increase in the future.

Edited by NamKangMan

Wow this has got to get the brain surgeon of the year OP for Phuket. cheesy.gif

LOL! That's not nice! But very on point! Back to the OP. I rarely deal with tourists, unless they are the idiot on a motorbike in front of me. Although I went for a motorbike ride through Nai Harn, Yanui, Prom Tep, and back through Rawai Beach. Ran into some guys I hadn't seen in years. One guy said to me;"Phuket has lost it's luster." I'd have to agree with his comment.

• Like 2

LOL! That's not nice! But very on point! Back to the OP. I rarely deal with tourists, unless they are the idiot on a motorbike in front of me. Although I went for a motorbike ride through Nai Harn, Yanui, Prom Tep, and back through Rawai Beach. Ran into some guys I hadn't seen in years. One guy said to me;"Phuket has lost it's luster." I'd have to agree with his comment.

Can you define "luster" Jimi? smile.pngsmile.png

Phuket certainly hasn't lost it's "bluster." :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan

Phuket certainly hasn't lost it's "bluster." smile.pngsmile.png

Yes I know the meaning. What's wrong with you? You still haven't figured out how to use Google or the internet? tongue.png Actually, he was a condo developer years ago around Chalong. I didn't have the heart to ask him how that turned out! He didn't mention anything about it obviously!

Edited by Jimi007

Phuket certainly hasn't lost it's "bluster." smile.pngsmile.png

Yes I know the meaning. What's wrong with you? You still haven't figured out how to use Google or the internet? tongue.png Actually, he was a condo developer years ago around Chalong. I didn't have the heart to ask him how that turned out! He didn't mention anything about it obviously!

If he was a condo developer, and a farang, I'm surprised he's still alive, let alone, a few baht short in the wallet. :) :)

• Like 1

Can you define "luster" Jimi? smile.png:)

Phuket certainly hasn't lost it's "bluster." smile.png:)

If he was a condo developer, and a farang, I'm surprised he's still alive, let alone, a few baht short in the wallet. smile.png:)

Actually it was pretty amusing to run into these guys all in the matter of an hour or two. I met them all over 7 years ago when I first moved to Rawai. So it was interesting listening to their view point on things, as most of them have been here for many decades!

@ Jimi007

So, that only leaves the question that most "long termers" happen to be asking themselves now - when are they moving, and where are they moving to? smile.pngsmile.png

Speaking to some guys that have been here quite a while, the feeling I'm getting is, "not if, just when." smile.png

Of course, the question remains, where? smile.png

@ Jimi007

So, that only leaves the question that most "long termers" happen to be asking themselves now - when are they moving, and where are they moving to? smile.pngsmile.png

Speaking to some guys that have been here quite a while, the feeling I'm getting is, "not if, just when." smile.png

Pattayabiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

If he was a condo developer, and a farang, I'm surprised he's still alive, let alone, a few baht short in the wallet. smile.png:)

Actually it was pretty amusing to run into these guys all in the matter of an hour or two. I met them all over 7 years ago when I first moved to Rawai. So it was interesting listening to their view point on things, as most of them have been here for many decades!

Actually the guy I bought my truck from over 7 years ago said to me that Nai Harn has been very good to him. And it has, he has a killer house and land.

"Definetly more Russian and Chinese... ??"

OP, GOM consistently helpful here on this forum so let me ask you some questions to help you out.

1. is the sky blue?

2. is the ocean salty?

3. do bears shit in the woods?

4. does the Pope live in the Vatican?

5. is the atomic weight of cobalt 58.9?

OP, GOM consistently helpful here on this forum so let me ask you some questions to help you out.

1. is the sky blue?

2. is the ocean salty?

Yes to 1 through 4 but not sure about 5, too lazy to Google it.

I very rarely interact with tourists, unless they ask a question or for directions, but my business indicates a huge increase in Russians over the past few years

After a gap of around 2 years I recently revisited Patong. Sadly I think it'll probably be the last time I go there. The first night on Bangla there was a skirmish between the ornate ladyboys near Soi Crocodile, some Aussie couples and a couple of bargirls. A couple of glasses were thrown, not a pleasant scene. No idea what had happened. I noticed the price of drinks and food especially along Beach Road had gone through the roof. There was a definite aggressive vibe from the tuk tuk gangs. Unrecognisable from the first time I went years ago. It didn't help matters also that for two days the bars were shut for a Buddha festival.

When I lived in Pattaya years ago I moved away because of the sudden influx of Russians and aggressive chav types but Patong seems to have surpassed even this.

• Like 1

All in all, the tourism scene is going through rapid changes. The last 3 months I had to go to Phuket airport a number of times, and the majority of the arrivals seemed to be Chinese, being quickly herded into tour buses after leaving the terminal. End of June I spent 1,5 days in Pattaya, and almost all you hear being spoken by tourists on the streets is Russian. In Ao Nang, Krabi, the scene is heavily dominated by Chinese, and Indians to a lesser extend.

Being taken advantage of the most I think are Chinese and Russians, who hardly speak English and are fully dependent on the tour guide. Indians to a far lesser extend I would reckon, they speak English and are used to haggle about prices, having grown up in an everybody tries to cheat you free market economy.

Everything changed amazingly quickly, and the old days when the whole tourism game was about Germans/British/Scandinavians/French wont come back.

Not this long-timer..........

How bad would it have to get here, KB, before you ask yourself the question?

Things aren't getting any better here. :)

If he was a condo developer, and a farang, I'm surprised he's still alive, let alone, a few baht short in the wallet. smile.pngsmile.png

Actually the guy I bought my truck from over 7 years ago said to me that Nai Harn has been very good to him. And it has, he has a killer house and land.

And it's in his name, is it? :) :)

1. is the sky blue?

2. is the ocean salty?

6. Is Phuket in Thailand? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

1. is the sky blue?

2. is the ocean salty?

Yes to 1 through 4 but not sure about 5, too lazy to Google it.

I very rarely interact with tourists, unless they ask a question or for directions, but my business indicates a huge increase in Russians over the past few years

"but my business indicates" - enough said. Conflict of interests when posting. cheesy.gif

After a gap of around 2 years I recently revisited Patong. Sadly I think it'll probably be the last time I go there. The first night on Bangla there was a skirmish between the ornate ladyboys near Soi Crocodile, some Aussie couples and a couple of bargirls. A couple of glasses were thrown, not a pleasant scene. No idea what had happened. I noticed the price of drinks and food especially along Beach Road had gone through the roof. There was a definite aggressive vibe from the tuk tuk gangs. Unrecognisable from the first time I went years ago. It didn't help matters also that for two days the bars were shut for a Buddha festival.

When I lived in Pattaya years ago I moved away because of the sudden influx of Russians and aggressive chav types but Patong seems to have surpassed even this.

Phuket is now "Pattaya 2." smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed

Many are using the Phuket International Airport as a stopover for other destinations in Thailand. They take the cheap flight to Phuket, but don't actually stay here, although, I am sure they are counted as a tourist number.

I am not sure the Russians, Chinese and Indians are getting scammed too much. They have their coach buses to transport them around, which stops the biggest rip off here, transport, and they shop in places like Big C for food and alcohol, where prices are standard, and marked.

They are simply not having the "interaction" that exposes them to be ripped off, scammed, overcharged etc etc.

All of this means, there's less money into the local Phuket economy, which unfortunately means for us expats, and other returning tourists, prices will continue to increase in the future.

The Russian, Chinese and Indian package tourists do not fall victim to many scams. That is because they engage in very few commercial transactions while in Phuket. Their transport, meals, accommodation and tours are paid for in one lump sum prior to departure from their own country. They buy all of their soft drinks, booze, pringles and other consumables at Tesco or a 7-11. Occasionally one of these sheeple do stray from the herd and is quickly set upon by the wolves. As evidenced by the Chinese and Indian tourists falling victim to extortion by the Jet Ski gangsters.

• Like 1

@ Jimi007

Follow in my footsteps to what we call our Northern paradise. Chiang mai and Chang rai.wai2.gif

The Russian, Chinese and Indian package tourists do not fall victim to many scams. That is because they engage in very few commercial transactions while in Phuket. Their transport, meals, accommodation and tours are paid for in one lump sum prior to departure from their own country. They buy all of their soft drinks, booze, pringles and other consumables at Tesco or a 7-11. Occasionally one of these sheeple do stray from the herd and is quickly set upon by the wolves. As evidenced by the Chinese and Indian tourists falling victim to extortion by the Jet Ski gangsters.

Yes, I agree. I have been saying this for a while. The thing is, these tourists do not put a lot of money into the local Phuket economy, and this will show here in the future.