Non Immigration Extention

I have just paid a visit to Chiang Mai Immigration with the intention of extending my Non Immigration O visa obtained in Penang for 1 year. (I am married to a Thai lady).

The "O" visa obtained Penang in was issued on 28/2/2006 and expires on 27/5/2006.

I had all the paperwork and one of the officers said I cannot apply until the last 30 days of the visa. Come back at the begining of May! I have read quite a bit about extending visas here on TV but cannot remember seeing anything about having to apply in the last 30 days. Is this correct??

If it is correct would it also apply if the extention was in respect of a retirement extention?

I am thinking I may apply for the retirement extention as it is easier to obtain.

It is the last 30 days of your current 90 day entry stamp - not your visa. And yes this is the normal procedure for all one year visa extensions of stay.

If you can use the retirement extension of stay it will indeed be easier and I would do so (having converted last year myself). That will only require one visit.

The extensions are issued by Immigration for qualifying reasons, such as work with a work permit and the required income for your nationality. The cost is 1,900 baht and it runs for one year (although the first time will be from your last date of entry so will be 60 days or more less. You apply during the last 30 days of a 90 day stay. Click visa extension on this web site for a list of conditions.

~

I guess everyone has different experiences.

My Non-Imm "O-A" retirement extensions expire on the same day I first arrived in Thailand with an O Non-immigrant visa five years ago. This has nothing whatsoever to do with my 90-day check-in dates. My year extension expires every year on 5 May and as long as I am there to renew between 5 Apr and 5 May, I am in and out with my year visa in 20-30 minutes.

Chiang Mai Immigration RULES!

~

I guess everyone has different experiences.

My Non-Imm "O-A" retirement extensions expire on the same day I first arrived in Thailand with an O Non-immigrant visa five years ago. This has nothing whatsoever to do with my 90-day check-in dates. My year extension expires every year on 5 May and as long as I am there to renew between 5 Apr and 5 May, I am in and out with my year visa in 20-30 minutes.

Chiang Mai Immigration RULES!

O-A is a special visa (pre approved first extension of stay) issued by a Consulate for retirement and provides a one year permitted to stay stamp on entry - thus when you go to immigration to extend it the period will be the full year (just as a second extension done inside Thailand is).

A first one year extension of stay issued by Immigration is done on a 90 day stay of a non immigrant visa during the last 30 days of your permitted to stay and the start date is your arrival date in Thailand for that 90 day entry.