Lower tariffs on some luxury products

Lite Beer

Lower tariffs on some luxury products

BANGKOK: -- The Finance Ministry is considering lowering the import tariffs on some luxury items, to promote the country's tourism.

Finance Permanent Secretary Areepong Bhoocha-oom was quoted by Infoquest as saying that the tariff reduction would make Thailand more competitive against other shopping paradises like Hong Kong and Singapore.

He said initially, the tariff reduction could be applied with perfumes, cosmetics and watches which are now subjected to 30 per cent tariffs against the zero per cent rate in Hong Kong and Singapore.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-08

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so its gonna be how much % then ??? 29.9 ? or 0% or what ?

if they do perfume then it should apply to ALL imported products that contain alcohol i would say

other wise you will get very drunk half blind farang outside 7/11 with a very flowery smelling breath

• Like 2

30%? Luxury goods are usually 100% more expensive than the west....

And more. example Aramis here 6000 bht UK. 2700 bht. Cheese is luxury, price here astronomical.

Luxury here, home grown -Durian- 200 bht for 3 pieces in a carton,cat litter is dearer than cat food, dog biscuits 1200 bht for 20 kilo's, watches? when do you know if fake or not.

Import a UK tv in opposition to true move, that would pig them off.

The other day I was in a shop and had a demo of a small Bose blue tooth speaker. The sound was fantastic. I asked the price and was told 9,990 Baht. I open my mobile phone to check prices and found that the same speaker is $199 everywhere, so the Bangkok price is 50% higher than anywhere outside of Thailand. It is crazy. How about food supplements? I'd love to purchase them in Thailand, but they are beyond my means. I order in the USA and wait for someone who is flying this way to carry them.

• Like 2

if they do perfume then it should apply to ALL imported products that contain alcohol i would say

other wise you will get very drunk half blind farang outside 7/11 with a very flowery smelling breath

If I see a very drunk half blind farang outside 7/11 I won't be approaching him to give him a good sniff.

In the unlikely event that it's a her then I'll have to give it some thought.

If I see a very drunk half blind farang outside 7/11 I won't be approaching him to give him a good sniff.

In the unlikely event that it's a her then I'll have to give it some thought.

Instead of a breathtest the police can do a sniff test.

The import duties on wine are 393.5%, and then 7.5% VAT on top of that. A $1 bottle ends up costs $13 here. Cheese, I do not know the import tariff. I only know that we are not able to purchase any cheese other than a big block of 2.27 KGs at the Markro for around 790/Baht. Every where else the cheese is so costly we do not look at it at all.

BIG C has negotiated favorable taxes. The cheese is 50% cheaper than at MAKRO

• Like 2

The country's going broke, the cost of living is going through the roof, so cut taxing the rich!!!!

This follows the same logic in the cut in company tax.

The proles have done their job, now let them eat rice while we get our useles bling on the cheap.

Oh, sorry! The rice ain't fit for consumption. Starve or get poisoned, peasant!

• Like 1

The import duties on wine are 393.5%, and then 7.5% VAT on top of that. A $1 bottle ends up costs $13 here. Cheese, I do not know the import tariff. I only know that we are not able to purchase any cheese other than a big block of 2.27 KGs at the Markro for around 790/Baht. Every where else the cheese is so costly we do not look at it at all.

good news i think hopefully the giant Big c "compact store" in mukh gonna have more choice then the tiny little packs

Today bought my 20 kilo's, monthly stock of DIAMONDS--ooops dog biscuits.- only 700 bht. that's getting the cheapest. what is it with these animal products, as mentioned earlier cat Sh#t gravel 300 bht a small bag. Thailand really hates animals in general but loves the money they get from sales-import I doubt it.

Well as far as i know something is wrong, tariffs on cosmetics is actually 40%.
Its way higher than any country i have ever dealt with and seriously ruins the place as a Shopping hub for decent luxury items, most decent brands just dont bother with Thailand and thats why there is so much fake and copies and junk here.
Ofcourse the finance minister wouldn't care about that, they just want to make as much from importers as possible and who cares about the country!

• Like 2

Im off to big C to see if your right... Can make a furtune then :P

Taxing cheese is another way of taxing farangs - without calling it a tax on farangs - since we're the ones who eat cheese. An easy choice for Thai politicians, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, I guess we now know the reason for the recent increase in the beer tax: It was needed in order to pay for this tax reduction on luxury items bought by those politicians who decide the taxes.

Have the High So´s fund out that shopping abroad is more expencive with the weakining of the THB?

Think you've hit it. While the (seat warming) PM would do little of her own shopping, her entourage is no doubt buried in volumes of Hi-So shopping lists. I'd bet all the stuff they're hauling back for themselves and their cronies takes up a lot of space; not to mention weight. Lowering luxury product taxes is long overdue and will be of great service to the country. At least until the government takes possession of the new executive luxury product delivery jets.

Edited by marell

The other day I was in a shop and had a demo of a small Bose blue tooth speaker. The sound was fantastic. I asked the price and was told 9,990 Baht. I open my mobile phone to check prices and found that the same speaker is $199 everywhere, so the Bangkok price is 50% higher than anywhere outside of Thailand. It is crazy. How about food supplements? I'd love to purchase them in Thailand, but they are beyond my means. I order in the USA and wait for someone who is flying this way to carry them.

Is this something you just discovered? Thanks for bringing it to our attention as I'm sure this is news to everyone. So when you factor in the cost of return airfare to go anywhere else to buy the Bose speaker, the Thai price is really a bargain!