Sinet fiber optic, any reviews?

seesip

got a few more speedupdate all tested with Sinet 30/10 using speedtest.net

server Cortex IT, Lausanne, Switzerland attachicon.gifCortex IT- Lausanne Switzerland.png

server blic.net, Luka, Bosnia Herzegovinaattachicon.gifBlic.net- Banja Luka, Bosnia Herzegovina.png

Gravelines France attachicon.gifGravelines-France.png

Kabel TV, Binz Germanyattachicon.gifKabel TV-Binz Germany.png

Giganet Internet, Nyiregyhaza, Hungary attachicon.gifGiganet Internet- Nyiregyhaza, Hungary.png

Hall in Tirol, Austriaattachicon.gifHall in Tirol, Austria.png

Horry Tel, Conway, SC, USAattachicon.gifHorry Tel-Conway SC, USA.png

HV Free, Roznov, Czech Republicattachicon.gifHV Free- Roznov, Czech Republic.png

Many thanks for all the tests. The latency results are so impressive that I unfortunately am certain that due to the silly way speedtest tests "ping" latency, the latency tests have been caught by a local Sinet proxy. So speedtest has instead of testing the latency to far away places, tested the latency to some local Sinet web proxy. :-(

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any other website similar to speedtest that has a similar range of global servers available and which is does a better job at testing latency. :-/

I see something called http://www.pingtest.net/, but I am unable to run it on my particular computer so not sure how that works.

Download/Upload speed reported is correct I assume however, so thanks again.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pingtest is the same company as speedtest. I doubt a medium sized ISP would be able to do that without being caught by the site not to mention We would have seen all the big ISP do that just to fool customers with all the $$$$$ they have. Speedtest does not mean much to be but I can watch Netflix on one laptop while my wife can watch live sports in HD on the other means more. Does not matter how many test results I post there will always be skeptics all I can say is try it is worth every penny if anything I thin they undercharge I would pay 2x what I am paying now for what I am getting

server Cortex IT, Lausanne, Switzerland attachicon.gifCortex IT- Lausanne Switzerland.png

server blic.net, Luka, Bosnia Herzegovinaattachicon.gifBlic.net- Banja Luka, Bosnia Herzegovina.png

Giganet Internet, Nyiregyhaza, Hungary attachicon.gifGiganet Internet- Nyiregyhaza, Hungary.png

HV Free, Roznov, Czech Republicattachicon.gifHV Free- Roznov, Czech Republic.png

Many thanks for all the tests. The latency results are so impressive that I unfortunately am certain that due to the silly way speedtest tests "ping" latency, the latency tests have been caught by a local Sinet proxy. So speedtest has instead of testing the latency to far away places, tested the latency to some local Sinet web proxy. :-(

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any other website similar to speedtest that has a similar range of global servers available and which is does a better job at testing latency. :-/

I see something called http://www.pingtest.net/, but I am unable to run it on my particular computer so not sure how that works.

Pingtest is the same company as speedtest. I doubt a medium sized ISP would be able to do that without being caught by the site not to mention We would have seen all the big ISP do that just to fool customers with all the $$$$$ they have. Speedtest does not mean much to be but I can watch Netflix on one laptop while my wife can watch live sports in HD on the other means more. Does not matter how many test results I post there will always be skeptics all I can say is try it is worth every penny if anything I thin they undercharge I would pay 2x what I am paying now for what I am getting

Well, the isp is not really trying to fake anything. It is common for ISPs to install web proxies/caches that their customers can use, transparently or not. This is done with the intent of improving things for both the customer and the ISP, rather than to fake anything. Unfortunately the latency test implemented by speedtest.net does not seem to handle this well.

Getting sub-30ms latency to Europe, as the tests you pasted report, is physically impossible. At speed of light speed, you get a delay of roughly 3ms per 1000km (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latency_%28engineering%29). Europe is about 10,000km away from Thailand, so the delay to Europe would be about 30ms, if you had speed of light. Double that delay, as the reported latency is round-trip time (i.e., Thailand to Europe, and back from Europe to Thailand), and you have 60ms. And that's speed of light from your computer all the way to Europe and back. So I hope you pardon my scepticism regarding the latency results, and do not take offence. I suspect what most people are interested in are upload/download bandwidth anyway.

Awk if you read carefully on that link on wikipedia it is 3.3micro second not millisecond(ms) micro is in millions comparing to milli which is in thousands very big difference. I am super happy with Sinet for one it has never gone down for me besides when the power is out. as well the speed has been super exceptional comparing to what I got with 3BB and true their service were garbage when I was in bangkok to start I never got close to stable connection to watch tv in standard definition and would drop all the time, our calls with skype overseas would disconnect half way through every few minutes. Furthermore their service team would not help us with anything since they told us it was older technology and had limitations all we could do is reboot our modem every few hours and hope for the best. Oh did I mention when internet went down we would have to wait for days upto weeks to get it fixed( they expect you to pay even with the downage) NO MORE having to deal with these problems with Sinet at less then what I paid before. Cheers do yourself a favour and avoid the hassles we had to go through. get Sinet from get go

Well, the isp is not really trying to fake anything. It is common for ISPs to install web proxies/caches that their customers can use, transparently or not. This is done with the intent of improving things for both the customer and the ISP, rather than to fake anything. Unfortunately the latency test implemented by speedtest.net does not seem to handle this well.

Getting sub-30ms latency to Europe, as the tests you pasted report, is physically impossible. At speed of light speed, you get a delay of roughly 3ms per 1000km (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latency_%28engineering%29). Europe is about 10,000km away from Thailand, so the delay to Europe would be about 30ms, if you had speed of light. Double that delay, as the reported latency is round-trip time (i.e., Thailand to Europe, and back from Europe to Thailand), and you have 60ms. And that's speed of light from your computer all the way to Europe and back. So I hope you pardon my scepticism regarding the latency results, and do not take offence. I suspect what most people are interested in are upload/download bandwidth anyway.

Awk if you read carefully on that link on wikipedia it is 3.3micro second not millisecond(ms) micro is in millions comparing to milli which is in thousands very big difference. I am super happy with Sinet for one it has never gone down for me besides when the power is out. as well the speed has been super exceptional comparing to what I got with 3BB and true their service were garbage when I was in bangkok to start I never got close to stable connection to watch tv in standard definition and would drop all the time, our calls with skype overseas would disconnect half way through every few minutes. Furthermore their service team would not help us with anything since they told us it was older technology and had limitations all we could do is reboot our modem every few hours and hope for the best. Oh did I mention when internet went down we would have to wait for days upto weeks to get it fixed( they expect you to pay even with the downage) NO MORE having to deal with these problems with Sinet at less then what I paid before. Cheers do yourself a favour and avoid the hassles we had to go through. get Sinet from get go

True, but that is 3.3 us (microseconds) per km. So multiply both by 1000, and you get the 3.3ms per 1000 km I talk about.

But good to hear you are happy with Sinet. I might switch to them at some point.

change from 3BB 10M to sinet fiber 30M 12+2 months free with 1 year payment in advance...............after switch for a month, speed a bit faster compare to 3BB but very unstable, always need to reboot wifi and router. How I wish I can turn back the clock sad.png

change from 3BB 10M to sinet fiber 30M 12+2 months free with 1 year payment in advance...............after switch for a month, speed a bit faster compare to 3BB but very unstable, always need to reboot wifi and router. How I wish I can turn back the clock sad.png

Rebooting wifi usually come from too many people going in and leech off your connection eh, please give Pakin a call I think he can get that problem sorted out for you 088-870-0706 he can speak english

Just took the test moment ago.........already get their tech guy to come a few times prevously sad.png

If I have to keep calling them, think I'll need to make daily call......sometime when they come is ok back to normal but sometime after they left especially night time like this my tears dropping crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkUs49400crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkUs49400crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkUs49400

post-102691-0-30868200-1426698783_thumb.

I just tested mine I am using the same 30/10 package and get normal speed it is odd that you have to keep resetting your modem when mine never ever get touched. When I ran my test it says viphAvadi as well, I think there is another underlying issue somewhere I would contact them to figure it out we are in the same city we should not get that much of a difference without a reason

Friend of mine did the same...switched to SINET and now wishes he hadn't. When he called he got some song and dance from their technical support about how his speed was fine but his bandwidth was limited and that was the reason his internet connection was slow.

Great to see Sinet Support join the discussion.

Maybe they can shed some light on the international speed problems previously discussed?

I am leaving Chiang Mai this month, so I haven’t felt it worth documenting the issue and contacting support, but now that I see someone from Sinet Support might read this, I used http://speedtest.net to test a handful of different servers.

I am paying for 15/5 Mbit internet, and for Bangkok I get more than promised. But for the rest of the world, I get less.

It’s worth mentioning though that lately the speed seems better than a few months ago, e.g. I have virtually no streaming problems anymore, but I did have that initially, so it might seem like something has improved, though for international servers I still only get 32-68% of the speed I am paying for (unlike 123Chiangmai123).

See attached images for details. The test were done around 10 am (Thai time).

post-160034-0-09260800-1426735806_thumb.

post-160034-0-97261300-1426735956_thumb.

post-160034-0-38956200-1426735962_thumb.

post-160034-0-95340700-1426735978_thumb.

post-160034-0-16411300-1426735984_thumb.

post-160034-0-06830000-1426735989_thumb.

I am getting 30mb down/10up to North America, most of europe although for some reason Norway is the only country I could only get about 13mb down/8mb up, both Australia and NZ full speed with ping less then 30. I am happy with mine I have not had to call their service team yet. I never posted this before but stay away fromTOT their speed is so bad you would be better off with your 3G

Check again now is back to normal with good speed, hope can keep maintaining this speed wai.gif

And thanks to Sinet customer service on the forum for quick response, although did not need to call them as I always see this speed drop as 1 off case once in a while. Just hope they can be more consistance and stable, no doubt about the customer service support from Sinet so far the best among all provider that I tried like tot, true and 3bb.

post-102691-0-23703600-1426766776_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Mines screwed after a few days... Amazing the first few days.. now Youtube is buffering.... FARK... my 3bb was better at 5-1 plan

Im on the 50-30 plan

First the BS Bangkok test.. Even Thai people surf International... and many of the big Thai sites are hosted International too...

4356434049.png

Now the USA... I Twitch, so I need the upload, which is why I got fiber in the first place... The upload looks great but the best I can Twitch at is at 720P... which is using the Singapore server

4356444529.png

4356448350.png

4356451448.png

Now Singapore

4356459255.png

Australia

4356462581.png

4356465457.png

Not so impressed at all......

Just complained about the slow speeds...

First they said I should expect 25% international

Then suddenly they said, I should only be getting 1 meg upload

I screamed at them and asked... Which bullshit am I supposed to listen too... your 25% or your 1 mb....

And even in Thailand my upload is not what I am paying for....

These results cannot be accurate as I have had buffering on Youtube EVER, while I was on 3bb 5-1... And it was only great the first week I was with Sinet.... Maybe they just dont throttle the almighty OOKLA Speedtest....

Useless f*rs...

This is before I called them up to tell them their service sucks...

4356530704.png

Stay tuned... I will post the same thing again... They will either screw me more or give me a better service :P

SiNet is solid. I use it at a coffee shop on SanSai just south of the outer ring. I can assure you the speeds are very fast.

If you're more concerned with speeds outside of Thailand, then it's not so simple. Relying on your ISP for international speeds is tricky. I have a dedicated VPN server in the area I need fast connectivity to, and have no issues at all. VPN is probably your best option if you need reliable international connectivity to somewhere outside of Thailand.

The Sinet people came out to my house, including one of the top guys, who speaks wonderful english

One of the problems, stems from the staff giving wrong information, which the company bosses have dealt with.

So if you get an answer like "I dont know, but I will get someone that knows to call you back", then you know its being dealt with efficiently!

Not only have they made my service better for International speeds, but helped me connect to some online programming outside of Thailand.

The speed is so good now, that I went out and purchased my first (and last) Apple product, the AppleTV.. (Apple sucks, always has and always will)

The problem, which I think can be expressed in other industries too, is that Thai staff are ignorant and lazy and too quick to give an "opinion" rather than any facts or simply stating "they dont know"

3bb have served me well for many long years... but knowing that I can call Sinet support and speak with someone that understands the western mind and fluent in english, is a breath of fresh air and after living here for nearly 10 years, its a very welcome change

As I Twitch and use the Singapore server, they have configured some of my system to optimize the connection to Singapore and that has been fantastic, compared to my previous post example of my connection to there

4361659954.png

I know this is a turnaround with my complaints, but I am honestly impressed by Sinet and the fact that they are working on delivering a service, that actually does have a "service" behind it and not just... "turn off your modem, count to 10 and turn modem back on"

I dont know what else to say... except, before you pick a service... speak to the technicians first (if you can) and dont by all means listen to the pretty girl staff, that wouldnt know what a modem is, because that where the initial frustration starts....

If you need some hands on testing, then please park your car outside my home and try it with your Phone or Tablet (I will come out and give you a wifi password to test it out for yourself)... I live in the San Kaempeng area, close to the Home World hardware complex near the big intersection (dont know the road names)... Just PM me...

Seriously... I am a happy customer now :)

The Sinet people came out to my house, including one of the top guys, who speaks wonderful english

One of the problems, stems from the staff giving wrong information, which the company bosses have dealt with.

So if you get an answer like "I dont know, but I will get someone that knows to call you back", then you know its being dealt with efficiently!

Not only have they made my service better for International speeds, but helped me connect to some online programming outside of Thailand.

The speed is so good now, that I went out and purchased my first (and last) Apple product, the AppleTV.. (Apple sucks, always has and always will)

The problem, which I think can be expressed in other industries too, is that Thai staff are ignorant and lazy and too quick to give an "opinion" rather than any facts or simply stating "they dont know"

3bb have served me well for many long years... but knowing that I can call Sinet support and speak with someone that understands the western mind and fluent in english, is a breath of fresh air and after living here for nearly 10 years, its a very welcome change

As I Twitch and use the Singapore server, they have configured some of my system to optimize the connection to Singapore and that has been fantastic, compared to my previous post example of my connection to there

4361659954.png

I know this is a turnaround with my complaints, but I am honestly impressed by Sinet and the fact that they are working on delivering a service, that actually does have a "service" behind it and not just... "turn off your modem, count to 10 and turn modem back on"

I dont know what else to say... except, before you pick a service... speak to the technicians first (if you can) and dont by all means listen to the pretty girl staff, that wouldnt know what a modem is, because that where the initial frustration starts....

If you need some hands on testing, then please park your car outside my home and try it with your Phone or Tablet (I will come out and give you a wifi password to test it out for yourself)... I live in the San Kaempeng area, close to the Home World hardware complex near the big intersection (dont know the road names)... Just PM me...

Seriously... I am a happy customer now smile.png

Yes, Khun Pakin is very helpful indeed.

I was told there would be a scheduled downtime, so as to avoid any live streaming during this time.... So this morning I knew between 3is and 6ish this morning, I wouldnt have net access as they are upgrading parts of their system

I was asked if I wanted to be put on a list of contactees, when they had scheduled downtime...

I am not sure how you would request this, but I will endeavor to find out..... wink.png

I was told there would be a scheduled downtime, so as to avoid any live streaming during this time.... So this morning I knew between 3is and 6ish this morning, I wouldnt have net access as they are upgrading parts of their system

I was asked if I wanted to be put on a list of contactees, when they had scheduled downtime...

I am not sure how you would request this, but I will endeavor to find out..... wink.png

The company has been posting on their facebook regarding to their regular maintenance scheduled since 5-7days ago from what I saw, however the company has not yet sent out email warnings but what I did to get these updates is to call Pakin and ask him to send you early warnings he does that on his own. Some warnings actually are building specific so it is worth while getting that from him in. Hope this helps.

I was up by 9:45am and my internet was on then slow at first for 15 minutes then back to normal

Example of email I received first on the 10th, 14th and 16th prior to the 17th(maintenance date) personally I like knowing what is going on

Our International ISP will perform a software update to correct the IP reallocation process to not happen when you are using the internet after midnight(resulting in service droppage for a few minutes) this will happen on Sunday May 17th after 2am this process will take 2-3 hours

Thank you

Pakin Pinto

Monday morning 07.00 AM and still down.

That's 24 h without internet.

Thanks Sinet.

Did you contact their customer service? I can tell it is not normal to be down for that long unless there is something physically wrong somewhere. Some earlier posts have contact info you can even report in your problem at their facebook called " Sinet FTTX Chiangmai" from what I heard from a Thai friend, you will need to tell them your customer ID though response time should be minimal

I have had service outtages almost daily the last couple of weeks, slow download speeds high ping, it is a much worse internet service than the standard 3bb package I have had (no disconnects in years from them)

From their facebook announcement their ISP maintenance was scheduled for May 12 and 17 that's all mine was down for. You should contact them and see what can be causing that, too many factors it could be considering this week has been quite eventful in chiang mai(not sure if it has anything to do with it) with fires, high wind, power outage from chiang mai university all the way to central kadsuen kaew and yesterday power outage at central airport(when I was there) and surrounding areas. I figured it would be worthwhile to get in touch with them to see what is going on

You would be surprised how many people whine about things, yet never take the time to contact a company to fix a situation...

again... their tech service is fantastic.... but their staff at the malls are lazy <removed> so make sure they contact the techs/support while you are their, as they forget too...!!

Archived