Thailand's Education Minister Chaturon looks abroad for guidance

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Chaturon looks abroad for guidance

Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

30214438-01_big.gif
Minister of Education Chaturon Chaisang gives an interview to Nation Multimedia Group (NMG) executives, including NMG Chairman Suthichai Yoon.

Minister wants to talk to stakeholders to try to get real education reform happening

BANGKOK: -- Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang will count on international assessments like TOEFL scores and PISA ranking in determining whether Thailand's education is rising to world-class standards.

Educational reform under his supervision would start making real moves next month and results, he said, should be visible within two years.

"Because we want the country's education to be on par with international standards, we have to turn to international rankings and the like. If we want to know how good English teaching is here, we need to look at Thai students' TOEFL scores," Chaturon said in an exclusive interview recently with Nation Multimedia Group, which publishes The Nation.

Chaturon said he had learnt English as a student in Thailand for 16 years but had never had any real English conversation during that period. "So, I think I know where the problem lies. We have to change the learning process," he said.

The education minister was determined to use the results from international assessments as key indicators, drivers, and goals.

"When results show Thailand's education is in a bad shape, I will ask all stakeholders here to look at the problems and join the educational reform," Chaturon said. "Our goals are clear. Our scores or rankings should improve in the international assessments."

The minister has clearly planned to count on widely-recognised tests like TOEFL and PISA. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is one of most widely respected English-language tests in the world. And PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) is a worldwide study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in member and non-member nations of 15-year-old pupils' scholastic performance in maths, science, and reading.

Thai children have not fared so well in these tests to date - a fact that reflects the many flaws in Thailand's educational system. Chaturon now hopes to engage all stakeholders in the educational reform.

He believed that together, they would be able to get well-rounded information and introduce real solutions for the country's long-standing educational problems.

The university admission system was one of the things the new minister wished to tackle. Chaturon's current tenure started just a few months ago. In his opinion, the current university admission system has aggravated the inequality problem among children even further in terms of educational opportunities.

Up to now, universities have relied heavily on a direct admission system. Some of the higher-educational institutes have allocated up to 80 per cent of their available seats to applicants submitting applications directly to them. Although the central university admission system is in place, it has not played a big role as the so-called "university entrance exam" did in the past.

The university entrance exam long facilitated a system through which university applicants sat the exam only once. Their scores then determined whether they had a chance to further their education at preferred institutes.

Back then, it generated widespread criticism that the exam put much pressure on students who felt this one exam would change their lives for the better or worse. Many critics also felt that children of the rich could afford tutorial classes and thus could do better in the exam and enjoy a greater chance of getting into the best universities.

"Now, children of the rich can take many exams to gain greater chances because universities have accepted applications directly almost throughout the year," Chaturon pointed out.

He believed if the Ordinary National Educational Test (Onet) standard improved, problems about the university admission system may ease.

He said the Office of Higher Education Commission would soon hold a meeting to discuss problems and explore solutions. The National Institute of Educational Testing Service (NIETS) is now responsible for organising the Onet, which has often attracted controversy.

"All elements are linked. Testing must reflect the curriculum and what students have learnt," Chaturon said.

On the curriculum, he said efforts to improve it had already taken off.

"We have looked at successful cases in foreign countries too to see which models will suit our context best," he said.

Asked whether the frequent changes in the man at the helm of the Education Ministry had disrupted the country's ongoing educational reform, Chaturon downplayed the concerns.

"When it comes to the educational issue, things also depend on society," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-09

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does look like he is actually trying to do something which is a good start.

However he has a big task ahead of him if he is serious, for there is so much vested interest that are happy the way things are.

Getting the money to the right place which means tackling the corruption in the system would be a major problem

And the no fail policy which only leaves the less able kids behind by moving them up in the system to a level they cant understand while tending to drag the brighter ones down.

But if no child fails that must mean the education system is doing a great job......................not.

• Like 2

"Because we want the country's education to be on par with international standards, we have to turn to international rankings and the like. If we want to know how good English teaching is here, we need to look at Thai students' TOEFL scores," Chaturon said in an exclusive interview recently with Nation Multimedia Group, which publishes The Nation.

Chaturon said he had learnt English as a student in Thailand for 16 years but had never had any real English conversation during that period. "So, I think I know where the problem lies. We have to change the learning process," he said.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Test, test, test, how to pass a test? what test are you trying to test, if testing going abroad will actually improve the testing, although the testing testing testing, as if the testing testing testing, by any testing means possible will improve the students capabilities to pass even more tests, tests, tests, but yeah, Thai education, or in orher words the propaganda implemented by corrupt immigrants from China long long ago, is a test for the purpose of passing the test, and obey and obey and obey, without regards of what the people really want or need

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif TOEFL= Totally Obsolete Education freakshow Liability cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

Sounds interesting. I hope there are improvements. I'd also like to see more outdoor activities, music, dance, arts & crafts - all things which are considered silly by those designing educational curriculum - yet those are the sorts of things which contribute to a well-rounded, healthy people, who can make wise decisions and perhaps better able to think innovatively. In other words; the type of people Thailand currently lacks.

Don't hold your breath for that.

Changing the education system would require that ALL teachers would need to go back to school together with their directors and other staff members.

That will never happen.

• Like 2

You are missing something here, many Thais are moe educated than ppl in the west !

You're being sarcastic, right?

If you're referring to the very small % here in Thailand that have a "western" education, I'd still disagree with you, what with the fact that so many "degrees" are bought, the standards here are so low, and whatever they did learn goes out the window in 2 mins flat and they become very "Thai" once again. My 13 year old son is more "educated" in terms of actually "knowing" things and "using" what is learnt than most of those you refer to. Mind you, he's in Japan.

Can you provide evidence of all these degrees that are bought? Or is it another extension of the urban myth. There are many American companies offering all sorts of online qualifications which are easily purchased and pretty worthless. I saw one Indian executive claim to have a MBA and DBA from a non existent UK university - one registered in the Maldives.

University degree and post graduate degree standards "are low". Compared to whose?

The Thai school system is poor in that it allows too much variability and lacks good governance and rigour. However, many people in the UK wished for a return to teaching arithmetic times tables by rote. Many children in the UK cannot do mental arithmetic or work out multiplications without a calculator.

How do you know how your son would perform against well educated Thais? Your assertion that he is "more educated" is maybe a little bit parental biased and you flatter the Japanese education system.

The Thai education system is completely broken and wholly corrupt.

And no one cares.

Really. Whilst there are considerable issues, your view is somewhat extreme. My children's schools here are better than the very expensive British school they attended in the UAE. They certainly compare favourably with many UK equivalents that I know. Not perfect - but not completely crap either.

Guidance?

There comes a point where something is just not worth repairing or tinkering over, it needs to be replaced. Sod the railway, put the 2.2T into quality education and reap the rewards from it.

Exactly. The problem being that there is no money to be made to put into their pockets from a real education and a real education would be the start of the end for the corruption based government of today. They do not want to change that. Keep it as it is so that their children can benefit from it as they do.

""When results show Thailand's education is in a bad shape, I will ask all stakeholders here to look at the problems and join the educational reform," Chaturon said. "Our goals are clear. Our scores or rankings should improve in the international assessments."

What results is he looking for open his eyes go to the market and watch them use a calculator to give you change from a 100 baht note on your 80 baht purchase.

But he is worried about them learning English a language he learned and never had to use for 16 years. He is a politician how often will the assembly like worker need it the field hands the tradesmen but let us improve the Thai Education system by teaching English. The list is endless of people who will never need English in Thailand.

The man is a joke. The first step he should take is abolish all passing on to further education levels until you know and understand the one you are at. Then or maybe first get rid of teachers who can not teach. These are two steps that need no research here or in other countries.

I am getting the feeling that the tablet is a failed project. They are trying to quietly drop it.

• Like 1

The Thai education system is completely broken and wholly corrupt.

And no one cares.

Really. Whilst there are considerable issues, your view is somewhat extreme. My children's schools here are better than the very expensive British school they attended in the UAE. They certainly compare favourably with many UK equivalents that I know. Not perfect - but not completely crap either.

I take it your children are attending a private school. Try a public one with no electricity and get back to us on that.

• Like 2

If he's serious in regard to "Look abroad for guidance", then he need only to look at Singapore.

Highly impressive education results at home and the Singapore Education ministry today operates a very highly credible consulting service and they have a string of impressive outcomes from their consulting / developing new models case by case for client countries / implementation guidance work etc., right across the world.

My Thai son spent some time in high school level in Singapore. It shows, his ability to analyze, to think conceptually and his ability to develop and verbalize rational arguments, no hesitation to discuss, etc., is way ahead of his Thai friends and colleagues. After just the first few months in Singapore his capabilities all changed.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

You are missing something here, many Thais are moe educated than ppl in the west !

You're being sarcastic, right?

If you're referring to the very small % here in Thailand that have a "western" education, I'd still disagree with you, what with the fact that so many "degrees" are bought, the standards here are so low, and whatever they did learn goes out the window in 2 mins flat and they become very "Thai" once again. My 13 year old son is more "educated" in terms of actually "knowing" things and "using" what is learnt than most of those you refer to. Mind you, he's in Japan.

Can you provide evidence of all these degrees that are bought? Or is it another extension of the urban myth. There are many American companies offering all sorts of online qualifications which are easily purchased and pretty worthless. I saw one Indian executive claim to have a MBA and DBA from a non existent UK university - one registered in the Maldives.

University degree and post graduate degree standards "are low". Compared to whose?

The Thai school system is poor in that it allows too much variability and lacks good governance and rigour. However, many people in the UK wished for a return to teaching arithmetic times tables by rote. Many children in the UK cannot do mental arithmetic or work out multiplications without a calculator.

How do you know how your son would perform against well educated Thais? Your assertion that he is "more educated" is maybe a little bit parental biased and you flatter the Japanese education system.

Sounds like you got your education here too.

• Like 1

Can you provide evidence they didn't purchase them? I'm not saying "all" educated Thai's bought their degrees but it is common practice here as you should well know.

Seriously? Compared to pretty much any other established western country.

Well, it's not all about arithmetic, it's about "using" the knowledge you acquire, and I'm sorry Thailand isn't even in the same league as many other countries that they aspire to emulate.

I flatter the Japanese education system (in general) when compared to the Thai system because it is proven to show results. The Thai system is a joke.

What a load of rubbish!!

The government should stop insisting that foreign teachers possess worthless degrees.

I was in the work permit office once when I see on the desk a piece of paper from Nevada university whereby they had qualiied in art!!! Please tell me, who is better qualified to teach real English out of this person or an English (person) who has been speaking the lingo for 55 years but does not have a useless degree, You decide!!

• Like 2