Visa for 10yr old Australian boy to stay in thailand 1 year?

Hey,

I have prevoiuosly come and lived in Thailand on 1 year (multi entry) Ed visa for Muay Thai this time i want to bring my 10yr old nephew with me. I was wondering what visa i would need for him? If i have my 1 year Ed visa i leave the country every 90 days to get stamped would kids be the same? If anyone knows any info or has experienced the same thing can you please let me know. I have tried to find info on google but no luck. Thank you

He would not qualify for any visa other than tourist but if he starts school here he would then qualify for education and likely one year extensions of stay. But to stay here he does not have issues until age 15 as overstay payment is not required for minors. He would have to make any entry into Thailand with either a visa or visa exempt status but once here, although beyond allowed stay, nothing more than a stamp on exit that has no adverse consequences.

Have you looked at all the legalities of bringing him. Such as authority from his parents.

I assume he would be attending school while here. He could get a ED visa and extension of stay for going to school. This would be about the only option besides tourist visas.

ok cool thanks. so if he was to go to school he could get and ED visa but if he was to get home schooled he could just stay untill i went home with no visa and it would be ok? Im just trying to look at all the opptions. He will also most likely be competing in Muay thai aswell.

His parents have no problems with me bringing him, if they were ok with it then i wouldnt need to do anything else with it? of course they are not going to report him missing so i guess its no different to me just taking him on holiday if he is on the TR visa we automatically get when we go to thailand for 30days or less.

You best take a letter from the parents giving you permission to take the child out of the country with you, clearly identifying you. And a copy of the birth certificate and copies of parents ID-cards/passports.

Human trafficking is a hot item, so airline and immigration can ask for it.

ok cool will make sure i do that. Thanks a lot for the info. He is in a really bad living situation at the moment and at that age where i think he will turn bad :( i want to take him away to a place where he can learn a different life. Hopefully get him on the right track as it has done for me.

There is more to it than you think. You need to permission to act as his parent. An example would be authorizing medical care or even enrolling him in school. Even getting training in Muay Thai could require it.

Edited by ubonjoe

Does anyone know where i would find the info on what i would need to get? permisson pappers ect. I guess i can just try to gather as much papper work from his Dad who he lives with and is his legal gardian. His mother is in Jail hence why im trying to get him away from all the bad stuff.

I'm not sure there will be a legal form for it. You could ask with a child rights organisation or an organisation that gives free legal advise. Also sometimes bookshops/libaries have books with all kind of legal sample contracts in them.

But otherwise the parents can write a letter themselves:

- identifying the child (name, date of birth, passport number)

- identifying you (name, date of birth, passport number)

- stating you have permisison to take the child out of the country

- stating that during the child stay abroad you will have the authorithy to make all decisions for the child, including but not limited to, the place the child stays, regarding medical treatment, and the education of the child.

As said, do attach copy of birth certificate and parents ID-cards/passports. You could also have the document notarised.

Ask a lawyer in Oz what is required and get it all witnessed if required.

I would also look at getting the main document and probably the parents permission letter translated to Thai and stamped as official translation etc from the embassy or whom ever does that in Oz. Thais love official looking shit and lots of stamps.

He would not qualify for any visa other than tourist but if he starts school here he would then qualify for education and likely one year extensions of stay. But to stay here he does not have issues until age 15 as overstay payment is not required for minors. He would have to make any entry into Thailand with either a visa or visa exempt status but once here, although beyond allowed stay, nothing more than a stamp on exit that has no adverse consequences.

Children under the age of 12 do not require a visa they would be covered on the parents visa, but you are not his parent so i do not know how you would stand on this issue

• Like 1

He would not qualify for any visa other than tourist but if he starts school here he would then qualify for education and likely one year extensions of stay.  But to stay here he does not have issues until age 15 as overstay payment is not required for minors.  He would have to make any entry into Thailand with either a visa or visa exempt status but once here, although beyond allowed stay, nothing more than a stamp on exit that has no adverse consequences.  

Children under the age of 12 do not require a visa they would be covered on the parents visa, but you are not his parent so i do not know how you would stand on this issue

Children must have a visa also they can't travel on parents visas.

Australian Immigration will probably be the ones who require the most documentation. By the way does he have a passport allready if not you may need to get a majistrate court order allowing the child to have one.

I would imagine taking him out of Australia will be as big a hurdle to your plans as what you'll need for Thailand. Immigrations in Australia would probably want some well documented proof that you have the legal authority to take him out no matter how well intentioned you may be.

Edited by Suradit69

My kids are under 10 and are US citizens. They came here on a 90 days non immigrant visa o. They joined school, the school provided all documents for their education visa. We appeared at the immigration office before their 90 day non immigrant visa expired and got a one year extension. We do have to report their address every 90 days but we never have to leave the country in order to get their visa extended within one year.

This sounds like an all round bad idea!

If you or the boys father is concerned about his well being then a discussion with the boys Australian school together with (if necessary) social services would be more appropriate than bringing the boy to Thailand.

It will be virtually impossible for the boy to continue his education in Thailand unless you can afford the fees associated with an international school.

You talk about "home schooling" !

Are you qualified to teach the boy and if you are following an "education course" when are you intending to teach the boy?

I would urge a serious re think of your plans.

If the father is receiving any sort of tax or centrelink benefit for the boy they will want to know as well. I suggest you and your brother go see family legal aid or similar because this could end up bad. And you do not want to reintroduce an 11 year old into early high school a year behind. Muay Thai is not a subject on the curriculum here.

Interesting thread and some very interesting points all around. To do this properly for a whole year I believe the OP should be made the child's legal guardian. He could then make all decisions in a timely fashion AND the lad could follow his education visa as a dependent.

Removing the child from a potentially bad situation is not a bad thing, even if there is an educational cost.

With the paperwork from the parents he would be a custodian/caretaker of the child in accordence with the law.

There is no ned to take parental rights away from the parents, which would be involved with becoming a legal guardian.

My thought was TIT... custodian/caretaker in accordance with the law may be fine and dandy in the developed world but getting a Thai bureaucrat to understand... maybe not. Becoming legal guardian for a year would eliminate ANY issues with being in a developing country with the lad for a year.