Remote Control Software

JJDinsay

Can anyone recommend some software that will allow for the remote control of a PC through the Internet? I don't want to remote control a PC, I want to run an app at a client site but currently only have telnet access. No good for me since I have to run an app and see the results as if I was there. I use Tarantella but the client won't pay for it. I tried Netmeeting and Messenger but it's not really compatible because the PC's have different version of OS.

thanks,

Jeb

I use PCanywhere for pc's i want to use remotely. Works on any windows version, allows connection through LAN, Internet or direct phoneline connection.

If you go through phone or internet the screen updates very slowly, one has to be a litlle bit patient. Works ok all-in all.

Guest IT Manager

Welcome to the world of IT Support and corporate customers without pockets.

Use Tight VNC. Free. Join the newsgroup and you will get lots of setup hints. Works through VPN as well but takes time to set up.

If the client will spend 100 USD try Gotomypc. I use it to manage over 40 PC's in one system.

Good luck.

IT

Use Tight VNC

IT is right, i used to use vnc when it first came out from research.att.com and it was cool with a faster screen refresh than pcanywhere, i even used palmvnc and was controlling nt servers from a palm pilot a few years back.

now i use remote programs that probably shouldn't be mentioned on this forum, but take IT's advice as the vnc server and client is easy to setup and use.

Tight VNC is definitely tight. Within an internal LAN it's great but what if I'm outside and I need to remote a PC that's sitting behind a DSL router? When I launch the VNC Server, I guess I have to put in the IP address of the public interface yes? But how to get to the one specific PC which I need to get a hold of?

thanks,

Jeb

To parrot some other responses, I love VNC. A great, free product.

Might take a little bit of work to get it to be secure (running it through VPN

or SSH), though. In case you are using linux and want to try to use SSH

to make it secure, I'd be glad to give you some tips.

Good luck,

-j

Guest IT Manager

I have a situation like that, VNC operating in a LAN, all LAN machines are fixed IP. Also have a LAN name.

I run via a router. You have to doa port specification (2 in fact) on the router, for your security. I haven't got that running properly though inside the lan I can go find my machine at home to get stuff I need at work.

Happy to listen to VNC suggestions, and keep them here.