Beaches of Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi & Trat

jmccarty

What are the cleanest and nicest beaches on the Eastern Seaboard, not counting the island beaches?

I go to Ban Amphur South of Ambasador City Jomtien often and have been told the Hartien Beach within Sattahip Naval Base is meant to be nice. Ban Amphur is about a 5 out 10.

I have been down to Ban Phe, the gateway to Koh Samet and aside from a nice stretch of pine trees alongside the beach road, don't know any more to target for a visit.

Obviously Pattaya and Jomtien Beaches should not be on the list so even if it is hard to get to, anyone?

If you like clean but totally undeveloped beaches then Chantaburi province has loads. Not sure what you would do in the evenings though unless you are bringing your own entertainment with you or you drive, speak reasonable Thai and like trawling mostly quiet local bars and karaokes.

The eastern seaboard generally beyond Meuang Rayong (except Koh Samet and Koh Chang) seems to have that out of season feel about it for me. Have had fun with my Thai family at a few Thai-style resorts (whole extended family in a room jobbies, lots of whisky and sodas, lots of whooping it up with the neighbours) along Rayong and Chantaburi beaches of a weekend, but not single falang type stuff. Don't know Trat at all well.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

If you like clean but totally undeveloped beaches then Chantaburi province has loads. Not sure what you would do in the evenings though unless you are bringing your own entertainment with you or you drive, speak reasonable Thai and like trawling mostly quiet local bars and karaokes.

The eastern seaboard generally beyond Meuang Rayong (except Koh Samet and Koh Chang) seems to have that out of season feel about it for me. Have had fun with my Thai family at a few Thai-style resorts (whole extended family in a room jobbies, lots of whisky and sodas, lots of whooping it up with the neighbours) along Rayong and Chantaburi beaches of a weekend, but not single falang type stuff. Don't know Trat at all well.

Are many of the beaches marked in either English or Thai to turn off of Sukhumvit/3?

Correct me if I am wrong: ฺำฟแ้ a backward "r" then a "w" then a "u" sort of. or is it this: ชายหาด a "u", backward "r", another "u", backward "n", backward "r", and an "a" sort of?

Edited by jmccarty

We have stayed at the Centara Grand near Trat, not far from the Cambodian border. The beaches and the sea were lovely and clean and no-one about. Each morning before breakfast I walked for about 1.5 hours without seeing anyone, it was bliss. As Santisuk states it is very quiet, you need a car and there is not much to do at night, but if you want a few nights away to "chill out" without any hassle, then this is the place. Just make sure you stock up with the beer/wine and anything else you need before you arrive.

• Like 1

All the beaches along this coast are fairly similar looking. Not to many coconut trees mostly pine lining the beach. All empty midweek and busy weekends. Busiest is probably Hat Mai Pim but even that is pretty quiet. For some reason this coast is not noted for its fine eating, a reputation I can agree with. Never had a truly decent meal anywhere ( compared to Bangkok ) along this coast. Seafood is the worst you can get anywhere and not especially cheap....pretty odd considering all the fishing done.

Laem Sadet I found to be muddy under the sand and also stubbed my big toe on a submerged object. The Thais mostly don't go swimming anyway except the kids waded out nearly 1/2 a km.

I've seen actual waves at Laem Mae Pim and some of the vendors keep it clean but closer to the bamboo restaurant strip it becomes worse, still there are pleasant places to sit under the trees. It would be my pick.

Chao Lao looks OK but I haven't actually got out of the car there.

These are all catering for Thai, even the accommodation but I suppose Mae Pim has the most in that regard. You can pretty well turn right off Sukhumvit anywhere after Rayong and head back when you are finished, I've never got lost yet.

In regards to the naval base I think you mean Hat Nang Ram and yes that is definetaly the nicest beach I have found on the east coast. On a calm day without any wind it easily beats Mae Pim and the beaches of Koh Samet. The water is very clear and it's quiet on weekdays.

There is a sign on Sukhumvit both directions. So wether your coming from Sattahip or Ban Chang it should be easy to spot. Once you turn on to the road (same road as entrance to U-tapao airport and queen sirikit hospital) follow it for like 10km until you see the sign for Nang Ram on the left.

• Like 1

In regards to the naval base I think you mean Hat Nang Ram and yes that is definetaly the nicest beach I have found on the east coast. On a calm day without any wind it easily beats Mae Pim and the beaches of Koh Samet. The water is very clear and it's quiet on weekdays.

There is a sign on Sukhumvit both directions. So wether your coming from Sattahip or Ban Chang it should be easy to spot. Once you turn on to the road (same road as entrance to U-tapao airport and queen sirikit hospital) follow it for like 10km until you see the sign for Nang Ram on the left.

Thanks, I will try it this weekend if not raining. Unfortunately, I have to work on the week days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are currently building on the outskirts of Na Dee, ten kilometers as the crow flies, south of Khao Yai.

As we sold the house in Nonthaburi quicker than what we planned, we will definitely moved there by the end of the year.

Back to the nature as a Xmas present... smile.png

• Like 1

Gets my vote as well. Good, fairly priced food and beer as well.

Hat Nang Ram best I've been to so far along the coast... Ideal for kids to play in water if not windy... Water deepens ever so gradually..

are there many flies , bugs etc when you are on the beach ?

No, but avoid at the weekend as many visitors, both Thai and foreigners, who deposit a lot of rubbish on the beach. You can drive further along the beachfront to the next bay that usually has less visitors, but again sometimes the same problem with rubbish.

Gets my vote as well. Good, fairly priced food and beer as well.
Not much flies only if u order food... Not seen rubbish either the navy guys are watching if u leave anything behind fines are imposed if the skips aren't used...

Sent from my C5303 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

had mae pim is quite nice - stayed at villa bali a few times and like it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2154276-d625662-Reviews-Villa_Bali_Resort_Spa-Klaeng_Rayong_Province.html

I do not understand the "can only build a resort on the other side of the road from the beach" requirement all over south east asia. It promotes exactly the opposite of what a beach get-away should be and the more popular an area gets, the more noise, pollution and unsightly traffic on the beach.

Not blaming you GooEng by any means, expect it is government driven to make beach front available to the masses. Just seems a poor use of prime space.

Villa Bali would be many times better in all ways if the road was 100m inland.

had mae pim is quite nice - stayed at villa bali a few times and like it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2154276-d625662-Reviews-Villa_Bali_Resort_Spa-Klaeng_Rayong_Province.html

I went to Villa Bali a couple of months ago (I guess) and all the beach restaurants were gone, nothing opposite the resort at all.

Does anyone know if they're back now? Were they removed for low season or was there some kind of government crackdown/dispute? I quite fancy another trip but it's not the same with all the food stalls and tables removed...

• 2 weeks later...

As a very general comment, (with lots of exceptions mind you) From BangSaen (Chonburi City) to Trat. The furthest you go south, the nicer they get, caution mangroves in Trat in some areas.

Also, if you are into camping, there is a nice free camp ground at the beach at Lam Sadet, (Northern end of Chao Lao Beach and a free aquarium there as well, paid for by the royal family. (It is where one of the Princesses goes for R&R, a good spot to hide away by all accounts)

• 9 months later...