Suvarnabhumi Airport: 80 flights delayed

webfact

I just landed at swampy from Phuket. I was on PG. The Captain announced that due to the monsoon, one runway was closed and had to circle for 15 minutes.

The fact that PG were covering up for TG leads me to believe that it was actually the runway which caused the failure of the landing gear. And all airlines are on instruction to issue the story so that swampy's reputation is not tarnished.

That is my conspiracy contribution for today.

That is actually normal operating procedure. Better to misinform the passengers then to tell the truth and have panicky passengers.

Imagine the scene on the plane if the pilot announced a plane had just crashed.

I experienced the same thing years ago at YYZ, "experiencing delays due to weather", no mention that an Air France plane had shot of the end of the runway while landing and is now on fire in a ditch.

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive been watching them landing on flightradar24.com tonight. Every plane is doing 3 sometimes more circles before landing. I would guess thats an extra 100-200 miles and 15-30 mins on each flight, must be expensive for the airlines. Its because theres a lot of fights coming in at this time of day but also because they are not very well organised, they make them circle even when theres space in the queue to land.

I noticed Thai airways were quick to paint over the tail logo on the plane to blank it out. Never seen them move so fast!

How long do you think that it will take to release the findings of the investigation.

I suggest it will never be publicly released if a person or persons is found to be responsible for the accident.

"we mustn't hurt their feeling must we not" TIT

THAI is claiming a failure in the aircraft's right landing gear. Airbus will want to send a team to investigate, and will want the results of the investigation to be factual and open. THAi won't be able to wiggle out of that one, unless they admit they were being Thai and blaming the aircraft for human failure.

So you know that it was human error do you? It couldn't possibly have been a landing gear malfunction because there were Thai people flying the plane - must have been their fault/their stupidity......typical Thais.

Horrible, condescending, smug/superior attitude some people have, it's quite sad really.

• Like 1

These news articles are firstly usually full of errors, ie; the 48 months part... and they seem to carry the same degree of accuracy as The Sun in the UK, hence I think we should continue to read them for amusement purposes only as they are generally a load of cobblers!

I just landed at swampy from Phuket. I was on PG. The Captain announced that due to the monsoon, one runway was closed and had to circle for 15 minutes.

The fact that PG were covering up for TG leads me to believe that it was actually the runway which caused the failure of the landing gear. And all airlines are on instruction to issue the story so that swampy's reputation is not tarnished.

That is actually normal operating procedure. Better to misinform the passengers then to tell the truth and have panicky passengers.

I experienced the same thing years ago at YYZ, "experiencing delays due to weather", no mention that an Air France plane had shot of the end of the runway while landing and is now on fire in a ditch.

Precisely... to bring an Automotive metaphor into an Airline subject: a number of posters let their foot off the clutch too quickly.

Who really wants to be on a plane which announces "due to the crash landing....."

This was yet another of the many Airline accidents which occur globally without serious injury to anyone. It seems all trained professionals did their job. Send 100's of panicked people down a slide and I'm sure a handful will twist an ankle (or whatever) at no fault of the crew.

A balanced perspective suggests. Incident well handled, shoddily reported, bandwagon jumped on by a handful of prolific yet negative posters...

It is what it is; An accident, none to serious yet frightening nonetheless for anyone on the flight, repairs will take 48 hours to the East runway, the knock-on effect of which will be inconvenience to many travellers but no more extreme than a similar event at any other airport with 2 runways.

So the headline, rather than the accurate

"Thai Airways International aircraft skids off the runway at BKK"

is

"80 flights delayed."

Utterly, utterly craven. Is anyone proud of this article?

There's already a thread titled: "Flight TG669 skids off runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport."

Try to keep up.

So the headline, rather than the accurate

"Thai Airways International aircraft skids off the runway at BKK"

is

"80 flights delayed."

Utterly, utterly craven. Is anyone proud of this article?

Errmm the crash was reported elsewhere. This is a separate story.

Yep, apologies. Didn't see the other story.

I noticed Thai airways were quick to paint over the tail logo on the plane to blank it out. Never seen them move so fast!

Yes, noticed the same thing but they haven't painted over the TG Colors. Some of the reports on overseas TV News are showing shots of the TG Wreck with the Logos still there. Obviously taken before they got someone out with the black paint.

I have NEVER seen a carrier do this before. I think it is pretty dumb because Thai Airways is named in all reports and Blacking-out the logos just highlights the fact that the thing had a prang. Who does TG think it's fooling?

ACCIDENT
Flights face delays

THE NATION

30214525-01_big.jpg?1378769203992

BANGKOK: -- PASSENGERS FLYING out of Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok can expect inconvenience and delays until a runway damaged by a crash landing by a THAI flight late on Sunday night is opened again tomorrow (Wed). Work is now being done to salvage the damaged plane and repair the runway pavement.

In a statement early yesterday, Thai Airways president Sorajak Kasemsuwan said the landing seemed to be routine until pilots detected a fault in the landing gear, before the aircraft skidded to the right.

"Initially it was probably the front landing gear that broke, but a further investigation is needed to find out the cause," he said. The engine having problem did not catch fire, but only caused sparkling.

In a detailed statement later, Sorajak said the incident was beyond the pilots' capacity to control. The plane, which is 18 years old, underwent a full inspection and routine maintenance before the flight began. It had had an overhaul in April, while the pilots had 14 years of experience.

He apologised to passengers on board the flight and to people who were inconvenienced.

The worst injury sustained by a passenger, a Chinese national, was a broken wrist, he said.

Sorajak said he visited all four passengers at two hospitals and that their treatment costs would be covered by THAI. The Chinese passenger with a broken wrist would be given a free air ticket back to China, and expenses if he returns to Thailand for a possible future trip, as his trip was spoiled because of the accident and injury.

Sorajak said black paint was put on the THAI logo at the back of the plane to cover it, as part of accident procedure. And certain cabin crew left the aircraft before passengers to prepare cushion ladders on the ground, as part of standard safety procedure - not to escape, as claimed in passengers' complaints that circulated on social media.

THAI later said passengers in economy class would be given US$100 (Bt3,219) for delays in delivering their luggage, and those in business class would get $200.

Sorajak said injured passengers would be compensated while all 288 onboard would possibly get an extra payout to make up for the inconvenience. All luggage would be given to them at their hotels or accommodation where they are staying, and belongings left in the cabin were being retrieved, with policemen present as witnesses to ensure nothing went missing or was stolen.

Airports of Thailand (AOT) president Sita Divari said around 200 flights would face delays during the 48 hours that Runway 19 L was closed, while the Airbus 330-300 is salvaged.

Meanwhile, the five-hour job to repair the runway would cost around Bt1 million. That would be paid by THAI, and the work done at the same time.

Sita said all airlines had been informed of an AOT offer that they could switch to use Don Mueang as an alternative airport during this time, but none wished to do so.

The crash of flight TG679 caused delays to 99 airborne flights waiting to land for an average of 15 minutes while delaying 106 departing flights, for an average 30 minutes, from the time of accident at 11.20pm on Sunday night till 1.30pm yesterday afternoon.

Flight TG679 carried 288 passengers including one infant and 14 crew. All up, 12 passengers sustained injuries, including shock and people who choked on thick smoke or fainted.

Department of Civil Aviation director-general Worradej Harnprasert said an initial in-house investigation found that the rear starboard landing-gear broke. A further investigation using in-flight details from the black box, to begin today when the unit is expected to be retrieved, would conclude the cause of the drama.

He said airport fire engines scrambled to put out a blaze caused when the fuselage dragged over the runway. His statement contradicted Sorajak's about fire burning the aircraft, but there were several passengers who reported choking on inhaled smokes during the rescue.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-10

..."While THAI will remove its aircraft within 48 months, the fixing on the 300-metre-long damaged area will also take the same time" :-)

It's amazing when writing an article in English how many errors are made. What will this country do when the asean Ecanomic community takes effect in 2015. I think the article should be corrected to read 48 hours not months. Does any publication here in Thailand employ proof readers?

Barry

Clearly, the reporter has also recently become aware of the use of "a number of" to describe an approximate quantity. Very well done, except that it's made somewhat redundant when you add the actual number... a number of 80 flights ... and ... a number of 45 departing flights...!

How long do you think that it will take to release the findings of the investigation.

I suggest it will never be publicly released if a person or persons is found to be responsible for the accident.

"we mustn't hurt their feeling must we not" TIT

THAI is claiming a failure in the aircraft's right landing gear. Airbus will want to send a team to investigate, and will want the results of the investigation to be factual and open. THAi won't be able to wiggle out of that one, unless they admit they were being Thai and blaming the aircraft for human failure.

So you know that it was human error do you? It couldn't possibly have been a landing gear malfunction because there were Thai people flying the plane - must have been their fault/their stupidity......typical Thais.

Horrible, condescending, smug/superior attitude some people have, it's quite sad really.

You're so eager to pick a fight and spout your venom, that you missed the entire point. It is far too early to decide the cause of this incident, be it landing gear malfunction or human error or other. Airbus will want a say in an open investigation, since their aircraft has been blamed. This is not "condescending, smug/superior' but reasonable and logical.

Edited by tigermonkey
  • Like 1

The worst injury sustained by a passenger, a Chinese national, was a broken wrist, he said

Whats the bet this guy was seat belt unbuckled and trying to get his oversize carry on suitcase out of the over head locker?

that tells me that Thai are more concerned about their image than my life

they are on my no fly blacklist now

Why does it say they are more concerned about their image than peoples lives?

Strange statement, from my understanding the plane was evacuated before they painted over their logo.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Edited by ChangMaiSausage
  • Like 2

Precisely... to bring an Automotive metaphor into an Airline subject: a number of posters let their foot off the clutch too quickly.

Who really wants to be on a plane which announces "due to the crash landing....."

This was yet another of the many Airline accidents which occur globally without serious injury to anyone. It seems all trained professionals did their job. Send 100's of panicked people down a slide and I'm sure a handful will twist an ankle (or whatever) at no fault of the crew.

A balanced perspective suggests. Incident well handled, shoddily reported, bandwagon jumped on by a handful of prolific yet negative posters...

It is what it is; An accident, none to serious yet frightening nonetheless for anyone on the flight, repairs will take 48 hours to the East runway, the knock-on effect of which will be inconvenience to many travellers but no more extreme than a similar event at any other airport with 2 runways.

Well said Richard. It's amazing how much negative crap spews from those with nothing better to do than rubbish anything Thai. It never ceases to amaze me why so many choose to live here with the negative anchor fixed tightly around their neck. It would appear about 80% of all expats & visitors are the silent majority who accept Thailand for what it is. A great place to retire & enjoy a quiet life at a sensible pace with mostly wonderful people. It would appear most of the remaining 20% are posters on this forum with little else to do than whinge continually. To those 20% a suggestion no doubt you will ignore. Shut down the computer, get off your arse, open your mind & try to enjoy. It ain't all doom & gloom.

Yes, I'm expecting the negative comments re my post. Do your best...whistling.gif

• Like 2

The THAI president denied allegations by some passengers that cabin crew members left the plane before assisting passengers.

Reported on other local media.

Sorajak said black paint was put on the THAI logo at the back of the plane to cover it, as part of accident procedure. And certain cabin crew left the aircraft before passengers to prepare cushion ladders on the ground, as part of standard safety procedure - not to escape, as claimed in passengers' complaints that circulated on social media.

So now THAI has confirmed the reports that were circulating yesterday about some of their cabin crew escaping the plane prior to passengers.

I don't know whether that is or isn't the normal procedure in aircraft emergency evacuations. Be curious to hear more on that point.

..."While THAI will remove its aircraft within 48 months, the fixing on the 300-metre-long damaged area will also take the same time" :-)

48 hours lost in translation to 48 months.

In fact the aircraft was removed in about 24 hours.

No damage to the runway I'm aware of, only a bit of ploughing in the soft stuff.

So the wisecrack that you just responded to was founded on absurd and unfounded conjecture?w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif Never in this forum.rolleyes.gif

You're so eager to pick a fight and spout your venom, that you missed the entire point. It is far too early to decide the cause of this incident, be it landing gear malfunction or human error or other. Airbus will want a say in an open investigation, since their aircraft has been blamed. This is not "condescending, smug/superior' but reasonable and logical.

Airbus will want to send a team to investigate, and will want the results of the investigation to be factual and open. THAi won't be able to wiggle out of that one, unless they admit they were being Thai and blaming the aircraft for human failure.

Oh, I see. You were simply saying that should Airbus investigators deduce that it was human error that - 1km after touch down - caused the nose of the plane to suddenly plummet to the ground and the aircraft to subsequently veer off the runway, then Thai won't be able to get out of that unless they admit they were simply being Thai and blaming someone/something else for their failures (as Thais do I infer). It also seems like you have already deduced it was human failure and there would therefore be something for them to wriggle out of.

You're right, nothing smug or superior about that, my mistake. Please carry on.

Well said Richard. It's amazing how much negative crap spews from those with nothing better to do than rubbish anything Thai. It never ceases to amaze me why so many choose to live here with the negative anchor fixed tightly around their neck. It would appear about 80% of all expats & visitors are the silent majority who accept Thailand for what it is. A great place to retire & enjoy a quiet life at a sensible pace with mostly wonderful people. It would appear most of the remaining 20% are posters on this forum with little else to do than whinge continually. To those 20% a suggestion no doubt you will ignore. Shut down the computer, get off your arse, open your mind & try to enjoy. It ain't all doom & gloom.

Yes, I'm expecting the negative comments re my post. Do your best...whistling.gif

Yo. Malt25. No negative comments here. Your commentary on the rubbishing is a lot more civil than I can put it. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif