• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no good reason for University students to wear mandatory uniforms

A uniform will not create discipline and it surely won;t create individuality

On the other hand I live beside two Universities and I have come to appreciate

the look of the blouses and skirts the young ladies wear .... pretty sure these

uniforms get more hormones running that a girl wearing normal street clothes.

Is there also good reason to NOT wearing uniform? I feel like those students who love to call themselves 'liberal' are just overreacting. They act like the uniform is an evil and the education system will be boosted like 300% by abolishing the uniform's rule. sad.png

Yes there is. It is called freedom. A university is not the military, nor is it the employer of the students.

The students are paying a fee for services to be rendered and are in fact customers of the university.

Consider the scenario where a business would demand that its customers wear a uniform in order to transact with the business. I find it offensive that a third party supplier of services would dictate to its adult clientele what they can wear.

i though the same to, my stepdaughter is in uni and is paying her own way, why should she be told what to wear. its all about control

I think you are claiming the freedom in the wrong context. University is not a public area, so the property's owner can apply any rules as they see fit as long as it's not illegal. For example, pubs have dress code and only swimsuit allows in the pool. I don't see anyone claiming freedom to wear slippers into any pubs. I am not saying uniform is appropriate by this, but the freedom is out of context here (but of course you still have freedom to complain).

Even you pay to the university, the academics institute is really different from the company and comparing the university to a company will badly contradict in too many ways. Let's say if it were, there would still be something called 'Terms of service', which the customers must agree and accept beforehand. You cannot just get in, break the rule and tell them you are a customer then change the rule to match your need.

Having said all that, I tend to support to remove the uniform policy. I just don't support the point that it is for control, offensive or suppression of the freedom. One and only point I would support is that it is unnecessary and useless for any reason it would claim, especially academically, and that's all. Dress code is just dress code.