THAI plane accident: Eyewitness accounts

webfact

Much more interesting stuff spoken by ordinary passengers on TV news this morning. Seems although some of the cabin crew are required to leave the plane via the chutes first to 'direct operations' at ground level, most of the cabin crew jumped out first and some effectively ran away from the scene. Passengers where not told to leave hand luggage behind and many took theirs with them causing injury to other passengers on the way out. People were not told which exits to use and a degree of panic was the order of things. Most injuries occured by proper evacuation procedures not being carried out and people following each other down the chutes too close to each other and crashing into each other.

One good aspect was that passengers were prepared to speak up about what really happened and not try to cover everything up with silence.

"Passengers where not told to leave hand luggage behind and many took theirs with them causing injury to other passengers on the way out."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

A Thai airline flight, flying out of China, so you can imagine the nationalities of most of the passengers. Do you really think they would leave their hand luggage behind ? It was probably the most important thing on their minds, not their personal safety.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You should be an air crash investigator !

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The flight attendants probably ran for their lives when the Chinese passengers began to stampede ! I know I would have.

Most of the Chinese passengers probably spoke no Thai or English so it must have been pure pandemonium.

Passengers complain about treatment after THAI Airways crash

By Coconuts Bangkok

524478_428764710561329_631981523_n.jpg?i

BANGKOK: -- Passengers who were injured in Sunday night's THAI Airways crash at Suvarnabhumi airport returned to the airport on Monday evening to complain to THAI president Sorajak Kasemsuvan about the way the ground staff handled the situation.

Complaints ranged from no staff waiting at the terminal to receive the passengers to scenes of confusion at immigration as some passengers left their passports on the plane.

Former Bangkok governor candidate Kosit Suvinitjit was on the flight and even though he didn’t join the complainants at Suvarnabhumi airport he agreed with them.

"I would have liked to have seen more ground staff helping passengers. There should have been interpreters in several languages to inform passengers of the situation, as many were tourists," he said. [read more...]

A number of videos taken by passengers after the crash have appeared online.

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-09-10

I was the senior steward on a domestic flight from LHR to Belfast some time in 1963. The flight was pretty bumpy most of the way and we arrived at Nutts Corner to be greeted by a torrential downpour. The aircraft skidded off the runway some time after we had landed. It is a fair assumption that the aircraft was subject to acquplaning. When the aircraft came to a halt I ordered an emergency evacuation and the main doors at the front and rear on the port side were opened and the escape chutes activated. I called out that there was no reason to panic and that no items of hand baggage were to be taken. I manned the forr'd exit and two stewardesses manned the after door. Two passengers tried to push past and I restrained them and forcibly took their hand baggage from them. I estimated that we had cleared the aircraft of 132 passengers in about 3 minutes. Just as the last passenger was propelled through the door the Captain emerged from the flight deck and was about to tell me that there was no need to evacuate to find himself looking at a very empty passenger cabin. The Vickers Vanguard was hub deep in mud and had to be dug out.

The poor passengers were all soaked to the skin and had to wade in ankle deep mud to the terminal buildings. I should imagine that there were some pretty hefty claims for ruined clothes and footwear, with few quid added for inconvenience and discomfort. Still, better safe than sorry. Certainly my prompt action did my career with BEA no harm.

This was in the early 60's and maybe the regulations have changed since but then it was mandated that there had to be one licenced cabin staff member per 50 passengers. Why it is thought necessary to have 14 cabin staff on this Thai flight is beyond my understanding but it would make sense if some left the aircraft first to assist those following. In my day a cabin staff of 4 served pre-prandial drinks, served dinner and found time to sell duty free goods to 132 passengers on a trip from LHR to Le Bourget, the flight time being no more than one hour.

• Like 1

BEFORE LANDING, the pilot announced that the plane would be parked a fair way from the terminal building because the runway was under construction

So something was already wrong before landing?

Apparently the captain declared an emergency landing in advance. That's the reason the emergency services were on the scene.

News reports are confusing as to whether it was an engine fire or he could not confirm all the wheels were engaged down.

Am I missing something here? Where does it say that the Captain declared an emergency landing 'in advance'? You are making it up as you go along aren't you...admit it rolleyes.gif

Former Bangkok governor candidate Kosit Suvinitjit was on the flight and even though he didn’t join the complainants at Suvarnabhumi airport he agreed with them.

"I would have liked to have seen more ground staff helping passengers. There should have been interpreters in several languages to inform passengers of the situation, as many were tourists," he said.

Thailand: Needs to be ASEAN Hub of airport interpreters despite restrictions on non-Thais.

Kosit, you have a new slogan for the next election.

"I would have liked to have seen more ground staff helping passengers. There should have been interpreters in several languages to inform passengers of the situation, as many were tourists," he said.

Thailand: Needs to be ASEAN Hub of airport interpreters despite restrictions on non-Thais.

Kosit, you have a new slogan for the next election.

In order for an aircraft to get certified you must be able to evacuate all passengers within 90 seconds.

BEFORE LANDING, the pilot announced that the plane would be parked a fair way from the terminal building because the runway was under construction

Situation normal for Swampy. I've been on a few flights TG (that didn't crash) where they tell us they are parking away from terminal due to construction so we can enjoy the tedious Bangkok bus ride to the arrivals door ...

• Like 1

In order for an aircraft to get certified you must be able to evacuate all passengers within 90 seconds.

To be fair, I wouldn't say that's too difficult when it's on the ground with the doors open and one of the fuxking engines is on fire.

Edited by pilm

Apparently the captain declared an emergency landing in advance. That's the reason the emergency services were on the scene.

News reports are confusing as to whether it was an engine fire or he could not confirm all the wheels were engaged down.

Am I missing something here? Where does it say that the Captain declared an emergency landing 'in advance'? You are making it up as you go along aren't you...admit it rolleyes.gif

You are missing significant facts. Check out the relevant aviation sites.

To be fair, I wouldn't say that's too difficult when it's on the ground with the doors open and one of the fuxking engines is on fire.

Well it was very difficult at Manchester and even more difficult in Saudi. There are many pictures bear testimony, pictures where people are piled up high at the exits because they caused a blockage and all of them charred to a crisp? Aircraft evacuation is a very difficult business. The survivors in Manchester were generally the stronger males who climbed over the tops of the seats, standing on the heads of women and children to get out. They did, they were the few.

The problem with aircraft manufacturers is that they do evacuation tests with cabin crew dressed in sports kit who run in single file out the aircraft, then go under the aircraft up some steps and through the doors on the other side, straight through out the exits again. That is how you evacuate an aircraft in 90 seconds to fill a standard. You try getting out when Granny Smith is in front of you with the grand kids all screaming and the great big fat lady weighing 300 pounds is trying to get her bag with duty free perfume out the overhead locker.

In a bid to check the reality of an evacuation, one organization hired a cabin simulator and filled it with fit healthy Uni students and offered $150 cash to the first three students out. After 90 seconds and the ensuing fight that broke out in a bid to exit first, there were 3 or 4 broken bones and nobody had managed to get out the aircraft.

An emergency evacuation is a scary thing with hundreds of people of differing physical and psychological profiles. If the aircraft is burning you will have seconds to fight your way out before smoke incapacitates most people, that includes those queuing up.

For everyone here, when you are on board an aircraft with your family or even by your self, you will only ever be in the correct state of mind for an emergency if you prepare for it. Do not read your book or talk while the safety brief is on, watch it, even if you have watched it a thousand times. It puts you mentally at an advantage over everyone else. Really look where the exit is, count the rows in front and behind, look how to get there (an aircraft could be upside down when it comes to rest and nothing will look the same). Look to see who the problem people are that will stop you and your family getting to that exit and work a plan around that. it takes seconds to do and it prepares you more than you could ever think possible. It also gets rid of 90% of the panic because you will be instantly prepared with your plan if that 1 in 26000 chance event ever takes place! Don't take your shoes off until you are established in the climb, running through jagged metal and burning wreckage is unlikely to be successful if you are barefoot, etc etc etc think about it, shit happens, try and legislate for it.

You are missing significant facts. Check out the relevant aviation sites.

What significant facts? I am on the aviation sites. Please direct me to a site that says the Pilot declared an emergency. Why are you unable to just put it on here, quick and simple and then we all read the justification for your statement. Easy.

Where does it say here that the Pilot declared an emergency?

“Thai Airways International Flight TG 679, Guangzhou – Bangkok operated with Airbus 330-300 aircraft departing Guangzhou at 16:03 hrs. (local time) scheduled to arrive at Suvarnabhumi Airport at 23:00 hrs. (local time) experienced incident while landing at Suvarnabhumi Airport. As the aircraft was landing and the landing gear touched the runway, the nose gear has failed. As a result, the plane skidded off the runway. The captain took control of the aircraft until it stops and the passengers were evacuated using slides. The aircraft was carrying 287 passengers and 14 crew members. 8 passengers were slightly injured. Injured passengers were taken care and sent to hospital for medical treatments.”

Edited by GentlemanJim

Well it was very difficult at Manchester and even more difficult in Saudi. There are many pictures bear testimony, pictures where people are piled up high at the exits because they caused a blockage and all of them charred to a crisp? Aircraft evacuation is a very difficult business. The survivors in Manchester were generally the stronger males who climbed over the tops of the seats, standing on the heads of women and children to get out. They did, they were the few.

The problem with aircraft manufacturers is that they do evacuation tests with cabin crew dressed in sports kit who run in single file out the aircraft, then go under the aircraft up some steps and through the doors on the other side, straight through out the exits again. That is how you evacuate an aircraft in 90 seconds to fill a standard. You try getting out when Granny Smith is in front of you with the grand kids all screaming and the great big fat lady weighing 300 pounds is trying to get her bag with duty free perfume out the overhead locker.

In a bid to check the reality of an evacuation, one organization hired a cabin simulator and filled it with fit healthy Uni students and offered $150 cash to the first three students out. After 90 seconds and the ensuing fight that broke out in a bid to exit first, there were 3 or 4 broken bones and nobody had managed to get out the aircraft.

An emergency evacuation is a scary thing with hundreds of people of differing physical and psychological profiles. If the aircraft is burning you will have seconds to fight your way out before smoke incapacitates most people, that includes those queuing up.

For everyone here, when you are on board an aircraft with your family or even by your self, you will only ever be in the correct state of mind for an emergency if you prepare for it. Do not read your book or talk while the safety brief is on, watch it, even if you have watched it a thousand times. It puts you mentally at an advantage over everyone else. Really look where the exit is, count the rows in front and behind, look how to get there (an aircraft could be upside down when it comes to rest and nothing will look the same). Look to see who the problem people are that will stop you and your family getting to that exit and work a plan around that. it takes seconds to do and it prepares you more than you could ever think possible. It also gets rid of 90% of the panic because you will be instantly prepared with your plan if that 1 in 26000 chance event ever takes place! Don't take your shoes off until you are established in the climb, running through jagged metal and burning wreckage is unlikely to be successful if you are barefoot, etc etc etc think about it, shit happens, try and legislate for it.

Very good advice. The best advice unofficially given for an evac is do whatever it takes to get yourself your family or those you care about off the plane ASAP. Assess the situation. If there is smoke, fire or water engulfing the cabin then go go go. Climb over seats, elbow, push, shove, throw people out the way to get to an exit. If you want to live get out ASAP. In incidents like BAT28M it was the people who acted in this way that survived. If you wait your turn, hesitate or freeze your chance of dying right there goes right up.

• Like 1

Much more interesting stuff spoken by ordinary passengers on TV news this morning. Seems although some of the cabin crew are required to leave the plane via the chutes first to 'direct operations' at ground level, most of the cabin crew jumped out first and some effectively ran away from the scene. Passengers where not told to leave hand luggage behind and many took theirs with them causing injury to other passengers on the way out. People were not told which exits to use and a degree of panic was the order of things. Most injuries occured by proper evacuation procedures not being carried out and people following each other down the chutes too close to each other and crashing into each other.

One good aspect was that passengers were prepared to speak up about what really happened and not try to cover everything up with silence.

Oh, and YOU poster, would not be pushing and running to an exit if someone shouted FIRE ? Yes, you would walk calmly and be respectful of your fellow passengers on the way out. Bull****.

It is the job of the crew to stay calm and assist passengers to exit safely although its early to be certain, it seems that not all the crew did this. Nothing creates panic more than uncertainty - generally in an emergency people are so scared that they will do what they are told to do - it sounds as if maybe no one was telling them. They are the only people on the aircraft with the training not to panic.

what do we learnt ? ah yes he was in first class ...... coffee1.gif

Trouble is, TG's A330s don't have 1st Class. They're all 2 cabin configs. Business and Economy only. http://www.thaiairways.com/thai-services/in-the-air/en/our-aircraft.htm I smell a porky pie...

Well they couldn't say the were actually sitting in Business Class...you know, that loss of face thing.