Programs For Locking Files And Folders

kkengvibul

Can anyone suggest a decent (and free) program that is used for locking files and folders? (with passwords)

I'm looking for those ones without day-trial or use-trial limits.

Hi ,

I use Zipgenius but not sure if this is what you looking for since it is also compressing it into various formats...but it's free and has password protection options.

rcm :o

Is this for locking files and folders to be sent out onto the net?

or just keeping em on your local PC?

If youre moving them around a network - do a search for some freeware file encryption

If its local - i dunno - will have to look into this

edit# right - pop over to zdnet dot com > downloads > utilities and/or security > sort by licence "free"

theyre pretty good from here - you should find what youre looking for

Edited by rio666uk

yeah looks good but its not freeware -

if your pc is not connected to a local lan you can add windows security to the folders and shares which should be enough to stop unsolicited access

edit# unless of course someone nicks your pc - are your disks formatted ntfs?

Edited by rio666uk

I tried using Folder Lock many weeks ago and i felt that it didnt work that well so i uninstalled it...

sometimes i try to access files that i didnt even lock, but it says that i have to put in my password first...that's kind of annoying

hello,

i have tried some of the encryption programs for simply locking folders, and the one that i still use is made by the manufacturer of the motherboard i use(MSI). it's called MSI SecureDoc. you can download it on the MSI site, though i don't know if it will work on other motherboards.

one problem for me with some of the encryption software is that you can still drag it into the recycle bin and delete it without unencrypting it. also, when you encrypt something, it makes a copy that is encypted, and leaves the original files there, which forces you to drag the original files to the recycle bin and delete them everytime. i think truecrypt has the option to erase the files after encrypting.

Truecrypt. Free. Very secure. Flexible. Fast. Easy to use.

I second Firefoxx - TrueCrypt is far the best FREE encryption around

Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

Encrypts an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as USB flash drive.

Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5, Serpent, Triple DES, and Twofish.

Mode of operation: LRW (CBC supported as legacy).

http://www.truecrypt.org

Why not just use the file encytption that is built into Windows XP? That makes it essentially impossible for anybody to read the files who is not logged onto the same PC with the same user name as when the files were encrypted. XP's encyrption is tranparent to the user who encypted the files in the sense that it will decrypt them on-the-fly when user who encrypted them tries to open the encypted files with any application.