Best SIM for the 2-week tourist?

mitebbots

At the airport in the luggage collection area there is a stall giving away SIM cards preloaded with important tourist phone numbers, easy internet set up (load it with cash and send a text), a small balance, international calling and texting, etc - i.e. designed for tourists on short trips here (calls are quite cheap too surprisingly). My parents use them each time they come - think its 1-2-call, but maybe True+.

Can you share any details on your requirements re: voice, data, text, budget?

You could get a TrueMove H pre-paid SIM, and then layer on a 30 day iSmart package: 499 baht: 250 minutes, 1 GB 3G, unlimited WiFi

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/iplay/entry/604?ln=en

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/iplay/entry/616

DTAC is the best for everyone!

They have internet packages like 50 Baht valid for 30 days, maximum 5 hours internet time allowed. Perfect if you always use guesthouse, hotel and restaurant wifi and just want to check emails in a remote corner. But don't forget to turn your data reception on and off, otherwise it's gone quickly. :-)

The others just have monthly packages for 300 Baht up.

Edited by frimu

Voice mainly in Thailand, I will use google voice on the wi-fi for international calls most likely.

Wi-fi covers most data, still nice to have a bit here and there, email etc.

international text is always nice.

The TrueMove sounds fine, is thier coverage as good as AIS? Not sure where I will end up really.

DTAC...Hmm..

thanks again..

If your only requirement is for voice then AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC/Happy or TrueMove H would all be fine.

TrueMove H has the most coverage, and the fewest customers, so always makes the best option.

All the providers have similar offers re: prices, promotions, plans, etc. Again for voice only, flip a coin.

True prepaid InterSIM. With this SIM card you can also call to most Countries at B1.00 per minute. It is also valid for one year. Cost for the SIM is around B45.00 and you can choose from a list of numbers. Top up is available using True Money cards from 7-11 stores. I call the UK, Korea and Australia regularly. It goes via internet and quality is usually as good as the normal line.

I use True H for internet and local calls but not for overseas calls due to cost, so I carry two phones, Samsung Galaxy II and IV

Edited by Estrada

TrueMove's GSM1800 concession is due to end in five (5) days on 15 Sep., and while they may get a one year life-line, it's not clear to me that they will be selling new SIMs? They are already actively migrating customers over to TrueMove H.

I'm not sure if one can use the 00600 prefix on TrueMove H. Some have reported success, while others have not.

One-Two-Call offers a cooperation with 3BB, you can use 3BB-WiFi for 35 Baht per week. The access points are well distributed, I am sure you will find one near to you in most locations. They will deduct 35 Baht from your card once a week and you receive a pair of username/password, which you can use even on your notebook to connect to the net. Multiple devices connected at the same time work.

Look for accesspoints like "@ 3BB_WiFi:FamilyMart" or similar naming patterns. For more information about other packages see http://wifi.3bbwifi.com/packages_en

^ Good point on the WiFi affiliations.

AIS are affiliated with 3BB who claim 60,000 hotspots in Thailand. TrueMove claim 100,000 hotspots.

Both AIS/One-2-Call and TrueMove H offer complementary or add-on WiFi services, with mobile phone services. Or you can subscribe to these WiFi services separately.

DTAC is the best for everyone!

They have internet packages like 50 Baht valid for 30 days, maximum 5 hours internet time allowed. Perfect if you always use guesthouse, hotel and restaurant wifi and just want to check emails in a remote corner. But don't forget to turn your data reception on and off, otherwise it's gone quickly. :-)

The others just have monthly packages for 300 Baht up.

Correct...

When the networks were first up and running, AIS put the cell site antenna's on more or less every corner, (small ones) so the telephone signal would be strong in most places, however they weren't really disigned for data, (it was years before the data revolution).

DTAC put much larger antenna's at a distance a little further apart so DTAC have much much more data capabilities.

If the antenna uses 70% calls and 30% data then the smaller antenna's often cannot cope in busy times so AIS data download signals are poor, (they sometimes in the evenings have to change the percentage by lowering capabilities of mobile phone calling to cope with the data from ipads, lap tops etc.)

I know many many people who have different operators for calling and sms messaging but nearly all of them use DTAC for computers and data.

So DTAC is the best..

TrueMove's GSM1800 concession is due to end in five (5) days on 15 Sep., and while they may get a one year life-line, it's not clear to me that they will be selling new SIMs? They are already actively migrating customers over to TrueMove H.

I'm not sure if one can use the 00600 prefix on TrueMove H. Some have reported success, while others have not.

1)

If you still have a truemove (NOT H) sim card, go quickly to the next true shop. You need PP or ID and will get a new sim card (truemove H) for free. Depending on the location, you will be told to wait to change the cards until your phone says "no signal". Then the new sim roams into the "old" true network for the time beeing.

2)

Read all the SMSs (in Thai) you will receive closely. Today (10.9) I was told that my number will be switched over during the 11.9. (tomorrow).

3)

"00600" yes. Until now the 1.07 bt./min. (incl. VAT) still works. Will see tomorrow if still.

4)

The validity has changed already. Now you get only up to 60 days every time you make an outgoing call or top-up. 60 days maximum. My over 300 days got lost.....

Sent from my Commodore Amiga C 64

I posted a resumé of the procedure for moving from InterSIM to TrueH the other day.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/666692-how-to-upgrade-a-true-intersim-account-to-true-h/

One other thing that seems to be unique to TrueH is unlimited wifi for 30 days for 100B, valid in areas with their wifi system (Bangkok, Pattaya etc). I've not tried it yet but I will at some point, just to see if it would be a suitable temporary replacement for my main cable internet connection in case of breakdown etc.

I will try the 600 prefix also at some point. I think there is a way of checking the cost of a number before dialling it, but most of the TrueH website is in Thai with the text embedded into pictures which makes it impossible to use Google Translate with it to find out how.

I usually get a mate of mine to send me a True Intersim before I visit but it looks as though they're no longer available. I'll be there for a month in November and will only be using voice and sms. Is it worth him sending me a sim? If so which one? Or should I pick up a freebie at BKK? Whereabouts in the airport are they please?

Are there any cheap clamshells still available in Thailand. The best phone I ever had was a Motorola V3 and I'd like another flip phone...

I usually get a mate of mine to send me a True Intersim before I visit but it looks as though they're no longer available. I'll be there for a month in November and will only be using voice and sms. Is it worth him sending me a sim? If so which one? Or should I pick up a freebie at BKK? Whereabouts in the airport are they please?

Are there any cheap clamshells still available in Thailand. The best phone I ever had was a Motorola V3 and I'd like another flip phone...

True Inter sims are still available.

And for those who want it Data packages can now be added as well.

Yes where do they sell those tourist SIMs in airport? My bro with his buddy are coming in October for a few weeks, I was gonna get him a True SIM and give it to him when I go back to Canada in a week, but if its easy to find it in the airport, he can get it himself.

also what provider arre those tourist sims? No AIS please.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes where do they sell those tourist SIMs in airport? My bro with his buddy are coming in October for a few weeks, I was gonna get him a True SIM and give it to him when I go back to Canada in a week, but if its easy to find it in the airport, he can get it himself.

You can get a True Inter Sim from any 7-11. I think they cost 50 baht. Never looked for them at the airport. They're not actually called tourist sims but they're useful for tourists because you can make cheap international calls as well as local calls.

Being True Inter sims the provider is............True whistling.gif .

• 1 month later...

why no AIS? just curious.

Nokia 301 looks interesting. may be a bit more than a basic candy bar phone.

TrueMove H 3G Tourist Inter SIMs: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/sim-truemoveh/prepaid/entry/2258?ln=en

Look to be good on both CAT-TrueMove H/850 and TrueMove H/2100

DTAC/Happy Tourist SIMs: http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/touristSIM.html

AIS/One-2-Call Tourist SIM: http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/sim-Tourist.html

These are not the only options, you could pretty much get any SIM you want, add value, choose a plan/promotion and layer on a mobile data plan.

why no AIS? just curious.

I've had the AIS for years, in areas that get 3G signal, the link speed wasn't anywhere near the actual 3G, it wasn't suitable for anything other than reading news site with out heavy graphic and flash content. A lot of areas where I live and travel don't even get the 3G signal. a few months earlier all the AIS SIMs were downgraded to 2G with substantial speed drop. If I wanted stay with AIS 3G I had to transfer my account to a new AIS 2100 3G service, I opted to move my number over to TrueH instead and the speed is amazing.

If you're new to Thailand and researching which company to go with, as lomatopo suggested in another post, try a SIM from each provider and see what works better for you. SIMs are cheap here.

• 7 months later...

Last trip I went to the True office in MBK and they could not get the TrueH SIm to work on my Nexus 4 or Nexus 5.

This trip I will try an Moto E Global version, hopefully that will work.

Will TrueH work well in Issan and the South?

Last trip I went to the True office in MBK and they could not get the TrueH SIm to work on my Nexus 4 or Nexus 5.

This trip I will try an Moto E Global version, hopefully that will work.

Will TrueH work well in Issan and the South?

I have both a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5, both work fine with any SIM here: I've used AIS, DTAC and TrueMove H, so suspect some sort of user error?

Just turn the phone off, remove the battery, insert the SIM, insert the battery, turn the phone on. It should register with the network automagically, if not search for the appropriate network. Any APN should be on the SIM, if not add it manually.

TrueMove H will work fine everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Going to try the True H today, anyone know of a True office in Sunkhumvit? I am close to The Emporium. I can do MBK if needed.

AIS plans are pretty confusing, I would like to have someting that just works for 16-17 days, without buying pieces of paper from 7-11 every other day.

I got in about midnight and the AIS office at the airport said the Internet was closed and they could not help me??

Thanks for the help