What is the paperwork procedure for buying secondhand cars

daiwill60

Hi

I am thinking of buying a second hand car , I have been told that I will need a residency certificate from immigration .

Does anyone have any info on exactly which forms I need to process tis requirement ?

There are about 4 residency certs listed on the immigration website and I am also told that I will need to initially fill in an application from in order to get what I need.

How much do they cost?

What is the correct number of the application form I need to fill in?

I have looked on here and on the immigration website , but have not been able to clarify the answers.

Thanks Guys

• Like 1

Just did one (more) today to buy a new car. At Samui Immigration they just ask you to write your adress on a pice of paper and give your passport and a photo (some Immigrations have a photo service). I took my Yellow HouseBook to show, but they didn't care (neither last time and the time before), but procedure may be different at other Immigrations. About one hour later I picked up a letter with my photo certifing my adress, Visa, my retirement extension, entry date, passport issue date and valid date.

• Like 1

If pattaya... You need a bill of somekind to prove where you live ( in Thailand), then you go to immigration, fill out the form ( just ask the frontdesk, show your passport and 2 photos, pay 300 BTH. and wait... 20 minutes later you have a permit to buy a used bike or car... Easy ! A good idea is to take copys of everything, passport and your bill in case you haven't paid it yet... They keep the bill, not the passport ;) !

Good luck

Edited by julemanden
  • Like 1

If pattaya... You need a bill of somekind to prove where you live ( in Thailand), then you go to immigration, fill out the form ( just ask the frontdesk, show your passport and 2 photos, pay 300 BTH. and wait... 20 minutes later you have a permit to buy a used bike or car... Easy ! A good idea is to take copys of everything, passport and your bill in case you haven't paid it yet... They keep the bill, not the passport wink.png !

Good luck

I got one today in Jomtien. They also require a copy of your passport main page and visa history. I took a copy of the water bin, not the original.

To be fair I have heard that these copies aren't specifically required as they can just eyeball your passport, but today they took my copies and stapled them all together with the form.

I always make sure I oversupply copies of everything as I see so many people being told to go copy this, go copy that etc. Once a smart arse at Immigration wanted my TM47 and Passport copied on the same page for lord knows what reason (I handed him separate pages). By sheer fluke I actually had one in my folder of documents - he was NOT impressed.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

Just did one (more) today to buy a new car. At Samui Immigration they just ask you to write your adress on a pice of paper and give your passport and a photo (some Immigrations have a photo service). I took my Yellow HouseBook to show, but they didn't care (neither last time and the time before), but procedure may be different at other Immigrations. About one hour later I picked up a letter with my photo certifing my adress, Visa, my retirement extension, entry date, passport issue date and valid date.

But...

If you have a yellow house book, why do you have to go to immigration?

AFAIK this should be sufficient to register a new or used car, am I completely wrong here or is this a "Samui specialty"?

Bye,

Derk

In CM it took me 3 weeks to get mine...when I first submitted the papers some guy cut in to the right of me and was being a mouthy pushy jerk....somehow I think the girl associated my paper with him and after many visits (when told to come back) I finally got it......300 or 400TB

The next time when I was in a hurry I went to the consulate and paid for the nortarized copy......$50 but instant...

Found out the the immigration paper is good for 30 days - the consulate paper good for 90 days.....

Forgot to write the cost:

660 bath including photo (4 prints).

Cannot see any price for Adress verification on the price board, so costs may vary from Imigration to Immigration.

But...

If you have a yellow house book, why do you have to go to immigration?

AFAIK this should be sufficient to register a new or used car, am I completely wrong here or is this a "Samui specialty"?

Bye,

Derk

Yes, I thought the same – smile.png – but no: Still need a verification from Immigration. whistling.gif

oh forgot something...if you buy a car more than 7 years old you have a problem with full comp insurance

I just bought a 2004 BMW 323i sports and had a problem insuring it ...wifie's aunt is a broker but still cost 40K for 12 months

• Like 1

I have never needed a residence certificate from immigration to buy a used car because I have a Yellow House book.

I have never needed a residence certificate from immigration to buy a used car because I have a Yellow House book. 

You don't need to go to immigration at all if you have a yellow book.The yellow book is all you need to by a car.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have just been through this in Pattaya. I bought a second hand Kia from another farang. You will need:

The blue book

Evidence of tax paid, and valid compulsory third party insurance, with at least three months left. If tax is expired you will need to,pay the arrears. If less than three months remaining on third party insurance, you must buy new. You can do this at the office.

You need, for buyer AND seller, signed copies of passport, visa, work permit if applicable, and an ORIGINAL residence certificate from immigration. If seller is Thai, you need signed copies of id and housebook.

You should have a signed Bill of Sale stating name of seller, purchaser, and amount paid. You will be charged tax at x% on the sale price : in my case x = 1 but I don't know what the rules are!

If the seller does not accompany you to the office (I recommend that he/she does!), you need a signed power of attorney.

The blue book must be signed by the seller in the appropriate place as owner!

The vehicle must be inspected at the office, they take a rubbing of the chassis number etc., and if more than five years old should do dynamometer checks on brakes, and check emissions. When I went, they were busy rebuilding the test bay so all they did was take the rubbing!

When I went, withnthe seller, to the Department of Transportation by Land on Route 36 in Pattaya, a very nice Thai lady, Khun Phu, grabbed us at the reception desk and helped fill in the forms etc., and seemed to expect no recompense for doing so. This is just as well as there is no English language guidance orpaperwork! Needless to say I did make an appropriate donation - she seemed surprised and gratified!

The process is actually relatively quick, if your paperwork is in order.

• Like 1

When I bought my truck 11 years ago I was asked for my passport. I NEVER carry my passport. My wife flashed her ID card, I flashed the dosh, and off we drove. I called into a petrol station about 300 yards away and the engine coughed a couple of times before I reached the correct pump - out of fuel.

P.S. My wife did not have a driving licence - and after her one and only performance in a golf cart, never will.

Edited by Bagwan

oh forgot something...if you buy a car more than 7 years old you have a problem with full comp insurance

I just bought a 2004 BMW 323i sports and had a problem insuring it ...wifie's aunt is a broker but still cost 40K for 12 months

Why so expensive, its almost the same price as with a brand new Benz !

Do you have first class insurance for such an old car ?

How much would it cost for the minimum insurance ?

The yellow House book is mentioned but I have a blue house book ( condominium) what's the difference, if any ? Will this do also as I may buy a vehicle this winter.

Thanks anyone

the blur book is the cars bluebook same as a m/c is green it is nothing to do with house papers

I have just been through this in Pattaya. I bought a second hand Kia from another farang. You will need:

The blue book

Evidence of tax paid, and valid compulsory third party insurance, with at least three months left. If tax is expired you will need to,pay the arrears. If less than three months remaining on third party insurance, you must buy new. You can do this at the office.

You need, for buyer AND seller, signed copies of passport, visa, work permit if applicable, and an ORIGINAL residence certificate from immigration. If seller is Thai, you need signed copies of id and housebook.

You should have a signed Bill of Sale stating name of seller, purchaser, and amount paid. You will be charged tax at x% on the sale price : in my case x = 1 but I don't know what the rules are!

If the seller does not accompany you to the office (I recommend that he/she does!), you need a signed power of attorney.

The vehicle must be inspected at the office, they take a rubbing of the chassis number etc., and if more than five years old should do dynamometer checks on brakes, and check emissions. When I went, they were busy rebuilding the test bay so all they did was take the rubbing!

When I went, withnthe seller, to the Department of Transportation by Land on Route 36 in Pattaya, a very nice Thai lady, Khun Phu, grabbed us at the reception desk and helped fill in the forms etc., and seemed to expect no recompense for doing so. This is just as well as there is no English language guidance orpaperwork! Needless to say I did make an appropriate donation - she seemed surprised and gratified!

Just an FYI having recently just completed this. If you buy out of your region (I live in Jomtien, Chon Buri, bought something out of BKK) then you will need to have the proof of residency for both handing in paperwork for the sale and another one at time of getting the new plates. Please have the vendor with you, or you might be in the shit at a later stage. I had plenty of leg work to do as nobody told me the difference would mean going to Chon Buri versus the local place near Regents, Plus additional paperwork involved. Easy enough, when you know how.

• 7 months later...

The blue book

Just an FYI having recently just completed this. If you buy out of your region (I live in Jomtien, Chon Buri, bought something out of BKK) then you will need to have the proof of residency for both handing in paperwork for the sale and another one at time of getting the new plates. Please have the vendor with you, or you might be in the shit at a later stage. I had plenty of leg work to do as nobody told me the difference would mean going to Chon Buri versus the local place near Regents, Plus additional paperwork involved. Easy enough, when you know how.

Reply:

New plates everytime a used car with it's permanent plates changes owners?

How strange. I was reading this topic to find out about the paperwork required

to buy a used car. That's what this thread is about right? I also was kind of curious

about all those roadside used car dealers. Can't they handle all of that land transport

office run around and trying to get signed photo copies of a Thai citizens ID and power

of attorney in his absence - No English forms etc, etc. I'm not going to attempt

that. Usually the used dealer has title to the vehicle which is what I was hoping.

When I bought a bike from a private thai they had to go to a dealer I used and

show them their ID but the dealer took care of the land transport office. I'm not going to

attempt any of that. Sorry but that was a good accounting. I cut and pasted and saved

post.

Edited by jb5music

The yellow House book is mentioned but I have a blue house book ( condominium) what's the difference, if any ? Will this do also as I may buy a vehicle this winter.

Thanks anyone

the blur book is the cars bluebook same as a m/c is green it is nothing to do with house papers

He is not talking about the blue book for the car, but about the blue tabien bahn issued for his condo.

To answer the question; no you can not use the blue tabien bahn as proof of address. The blue tabien bahn is the house register for Thai people (if any) living in your condo. A foreigner cannot be registered in a blue tabien bahn, instead a foreigner can be registered in a yellow tabien bahn, which can be issued as an addition to the blue one.

Sophon