26 Thai provinces at risk of flooding

webfact

What do they expect if they clog all their waterways and drains with rubbish.

It rains all the time in Holland and a substantial part of the country is below sea level but the

country never floods.

Thailand's drainage system is just like it's railways....not fit for purpose.

This maybe so but Thailand does rely on child labour to stick their fingers in the dykes as they do in Holland........

It was their fingers wasn't it ? LOL

That's a nasty thing to say about a child who had some logic and foresight and prevented a disaster.

It rains all the time in Holland and a substantial part of the country is below sea level but the

country never floods.

I agree with the first and last parts but the second bit is a bit skew-whiff. Holland is temperate, small, flat, developed and receives moderate rainfall; Thailand is tropical, large, mountainous, developing and receives torrents (of the watery kind). Drainage ain't great at the local level, though bearing in the mind much of the country is given over to floodplain, while BKK is basically a giant delta.

As an aside, Muang Thai takes a tsunami up the jacksie and it's not the end of the world, if the North Sea rumbles, you guys will need to look for a new home. whistling.gif

country never floods.

This maybe so but Thailand does rely on child labour to stick their fingers in the dykes as they do in Holland........

It was their fingers wasn't it ? LOL

Thais don't know how a dyke look like and they don't have a clue how to build it whistling.gif

country never floods.

I agree with the first and last parts but the second bit is a bit skew-whiff. Holland is temperate, small, flat, developed and receives moderate rainfall; Thailand is tropical, large, mountainous, developing and receives torrents (of the watery kind). Drainage ain't great at the local level, though bearing in the mind much of the country is given over to floodplain, while BKK is basically a giant delta.

As an aside, Muang Thai takes a tsunami up the jacksie and it's not the end of the world, if the North Sea rumbles, you guys will need to look for a new home. whistling.gif

The Dutch are the best drainage engineers in the world and can design and build systems for all scenarios.

There is no engineering challenge that does not have a solution.

All the Thai's can do is drain wallets and bank accounts.

HM King Chulalongkorn the Great fixed this issue over a century ago - he built the great canal system (at the same time Britain was building its great canal system) - unfortunately they have been left to silt up and become locked with weeds, to be built over (and reservoirs turned into housing complexes). This is brought up every time there is a flood, but money is never allotted to put the system back in place (and use the bloody thing for transport too and save on road congestion and pollution to boot!). There is simply nowhere for the rain run off to go any more - the canal routes are broken and the reservoirs have been removed - heavy rains will cause flooding worse and worse as it pushes south from the much higher north - until it reaches the sea.

As my post said-let this water out of the dams NOW so you can fill up with the monsoon excess. this water can steadily get out to the gulf before it's too late. The Farmers do not need the water- we do not want any more RICE planted late this year. live off your stockpiles.

Yes! Open the open the dams, now. And pay the farmers NOT to grow rice. No flooding. Farmers get subsidy. And price of rice might go up a bit--at least the glut will go down. Win-Win, instead Win-Lose-Lose.

country never floods.

You didn't mention Education.

I AM FROM HOLLAND ,BUT STILL I CAN SAY IF ITS RAIN IN THAILAND ITS ONLY A LITTLE BIT OFF RAIN .

WY WE HAVE THE BEST OF MOZAIK DYKES OFF THE WORLD? THATS WY!AmsterdamGrachten1.jpg

Strange response considering the flood risk in the Netherlands is not with precipitation but with low lying areas and the North Sea.

Wise up man.

Remember 1953.

Tidal surge due to high spring tides combined with strong winds.

No rain in sight.

Thats true mister.

But from that moment from 1953 we learn allot.

I AM FROM HOLLAND ,BUT STILL I CAN SAY IF ITS RAIN IN THAILAND ITS ONLY A LITTLE BIT OFF RAIN .

WY WE HAVE THE BEST OF MOZAIK DYKES OFF THE WORLD? THATS WY!AmsterdamGrachten1.jpg

If Holland would use Playboy Dykeslaugh.png - it would be very good for tourism.smile.png

That playboy dykes we have alrady hehehe ,you been ever at de WALLEN

Most areas of Bangkok are only 0.5-1.5m above sea level. Put that against the fact that a lot of the city is subsiding at a rate of 2cm a year, and the need for better flood mitigation and drainage systems is critical. But lets be honest, it's unlikely they'll ever spend the huge amount of money that is needed. More likely they'll keep building up to create a Bladerunner type city suspended above the ground, connected by a network of sky trains. Actually, that doesn't sound half bad.

As my post said-let this water out of the dams NOW so you can fill up with the monsoon excess. this water can steadily get out to the gulf before it's too late. The Farmers do not need the water- we do not want any more RICE planted late this year. live off your stockpiles.

Exactly what needs to be done, and not only in the flood-prone areas but also downstream of them.

Unfortunately there has been a tendency to rely on excess optimism.

The water levels in Prachinburi are quite high. Not yet flooding the proviincial town (an event that used to be extremely rare(, but looks like they may if heavy rains keep up. And when that town floods, eastern parts of Bangkok invariably flood afterwards. That's where the water goes.

On either side of my house is vacant land which is lower lying than the house and turns into a pond in the raining season. I'm pumping them out daily now across into a system of khlongs which go to the river which goes to...Bkk.

Let us hope that unlike a few years ago the govt does not rely on "hoping" Bkk won't flood nor on declaring that it won't but rather assumes a worst case scenario and makes sensible preventive efforts. (Not, obviously, a BBB).

Mr water minister, is the water level in the dams low or high ???

remember the last time you admitted that you should have let the water out earlier-then came the heavy rain, the dams couldn't accept any more, hence the great flood.

Now maybe is the time to get rid of most of your water let it go to the sea and you will be able to cope with the extra.

Unless YOUR on the overseas trip with the PM.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Oh yeah! Another civil engineer in our midstrolleyes.gif Lots of sea dams to open in Northern Thailand. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif Perhaps you would suggest constructing controls at hundreds of the stream confluence areas up there in the mountains? tongue.png

country never floods.

Rubbish. Every time a large downpour occurs in Holland, streets and tunnels are flooded, because drains can't handle it. After the rain stops it quickly does drain though. But you can't compare the amount of water coming down in Thailand during monsoon season with the occasional drizzle in Holland. Lastly holland is flat, whereas Thailand has runoff from the mountains.

clap2.gif Thanks for the informative response to a typically ignorant post by someone whose reasoning and knowledge are nothing but personal whim. Unfortunately however aggressive ignorance is the flavour of choice.wink.png

country never floods.

Rubbish. Every time a large downpour occurs in Holland, streets and tunnels are flooded, because drains can't handle it. After the rain stops it quickly does drain though. But you can't compare the amount of water coming down in Thailand during monsoon season with the occasional drizzle in Holland. Lastly holland is flat, whereas Thailand has runoff from the mountains.

clap2.gif Thanks for the informative response to a typically ignorant post by someone whose reasoning and knowledge are nothing but personal whim. Unfortunately however aggressive ignorance is the flavour of choice.wink.png

I would love to know what is flooding all the time in Holland, on occasion it may flood a bit but in general it does not. I know I lived there for 32 years. Thing is our system is so much better as the Thai system because we are experts and we pay the money without corruption to keep it going well. Here everything is skimmed off and experts are experts not because of knowledge but nepotism.

I won't deny it rains here harder then in the Netherlands but there is also more land available then in the Netherlands and with good planning a lot can be done (problem is the government only looks what is most profitable for their personal bank accounts not for the country). Also yes Holland is flat so that makes drainage harder, here drainage to the sea goes faster and automatically.

• Like 1

Mr water minister, is the water level in the dams low or high ???

remember the last time you admitted that you should have let the water out earlier-then came the heavy rain, the dams couldn't accept any more, hence the great flood.

Now maybe is the time to get rid of most of your water let it go to the sea and you will be able to cope with the extra.

Unless YOUR on the overseas trip with the PM.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Oh yeah! Another civil engineer in our midstrolleyes.gif Lots of sea dams to open in Northern Thailand. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif Perhaps you would suggest constructing controls at hundreds of the stream confluence areas up there in the mountains? tongue.png

What the dickens are you on about ???? The bleeding water finds it's lowest level and from the dams-rivers -sea. I'm a football ref, but I do know what happens if you do not release dam water at the right time, the last floods proved it, the minister admitted it. Was you here the time of the last floods . if you were here you either forgot or better you look up the reason the floods came (apart from the very heavy rain) Your smily's are for your post only. comedian.

This picture shows a typical Thai klong which is designed to drain water. It's not rocket science to see how this waterway differs from

a drainage canal in Holland. You see this scene everywhere in Thailand hence flooding when heavy rain can not drain away.

o7_852_23345_stor.jpg

What are you smoking old son?

You are supposed to wear wooden shoes not smoke them.

After reading quite a few of his inane comments I knew he was smoking something, had no idea they were wooden shoes. His comment regarding Holland never flooding cracked me up.

I just Googled "flooding in the netherlands" and guess what ? They are having floods there now. Even though their annual rainfall is about 25% that of Thailand they are still affected by rivers flooding, not only flooding from the sea. This time round it is caused by heavy rain in Germany, perhaps Thailand can blame their floods on the heavy rain in Burma, not the clogged up drains. Perhaps their mighty Dutch dykes are actually keeping the flood water in and not letting it get away. Better pull your fingers out, boys ! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Nice to hear of your expertise on the matter using Google. That search engine certainly save the experience of visiting the country.

If like me you had lived there for a while you'd discover one of the most sophisticated drainage systems in the world. The Dutch faced massive problems centuries ago when the reclaimed huge areas of land from the North Sea.

In winter there are often storm surges combined with high tides that are held back by an amazing network of dams,canals and pumping systems.

The Dutch also engineered the reclamation of the UK fens and area's of lowland in Norfolk,Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire during the 1700's.

They are certainly the the people to sort out the regular flooding in Thailand however Thai's think they know it all.

They could make a start by cleaning their drains when the weather is fine.

Edited by Jay Sata

What are you smoking old son?

You are supposed to wear wooden shoes not smoke them.

After reading quite a few of his inane comments I knew he was smoking something, had no idea they were wooden shoes. His comment regarding Holland never flooding cracked me up.

I just Googled "flooding in the netherlands" and guess what ? They are having floods there now. Even though their annual rainfall is about 25% that of Thailand they are still affected by rivers flooding, not only flooding from the sea. This time round it is caused by heavy rain in Germany, perhaps Thailand can blame their floods on the heavy rain in Burma, not the clogged up drains. Perhaps their mighty Dutch dykes are actually keeping the flood water in and not letting it get away. Better pull your fingers out, boys ! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Nice to hear of your expertise on the matter using Google. That search engine certainly save the experience of visiting the country.

If like me you had lived there for a while you'd discover one of the most sophisticated drainage systems in the world. The Dutch faced massive problems centuries ago when the reclaimed huge areas of land from the North Sea.

In winter there are often storm surges combined with high tides that are held back by an amazing network of dams,canals and pumping systems.

The Dutch also engineered the reclamation of the UK fens and area's of lowland in Norfolk,Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire during the 1700's.

They are certainly the the people to sort out the regular flooding in Thailand however Thai's think they know it all.

They could make a start by cleaning their drains when the weather is fine.

The drains are places that you sweep your rubbish in. Where else do local thai people put rubbish, only a few have collections, most burn it, but local shops swilling the front down hose/brush it into the drains-anything -mai pen rai, this way its not seen. that means it's gone.

country never floods.

Correction; Sea Flood Disasters occurred in the Netherlands in 1916 and 1933 and 1953. Further flood disaster threats in 1991 and in 1993 necessitated the evacuation of 200,000 citizens.

The flash flooding of river basins of the Maas and the Rijn occur regularly on an ongoing basis and will grow more frequent as global warming risks increase.

country never floods.

Correction; Sea Flood Disasters occurred in the Netherlands in 1916 and 1933 and 1953. Further flood disaster threats in 1991 and in 1993 necessitated the evacuation of 200,000 citizens.

The flash flooding of river basins of the Maas and the Rijn occur regularly on an ongoing basis and will grow more frequent as global warming risks increase.

Those years 1916 till 1953 we did not have the waterworks we have now. Yes the Maas and the Rijn will flood more.. but you know what we cleared much of those area's realizing you cant win all battles giving rivers room to flood when needed. A big job in such a small country. Next time before you type do some real research. We are still improving.. thing is we got the experts and we don't have a corrupt government out to make a buck and safe face.