PM Yingluck reassures Switzerland on Thailand's reconciliation attempt

webfact

Switzerland was never bothered when most of the world was fighting against the Axis tyranny.

Why should they care about Thailand's?

Another uninformed comment about Switzerland. At the beginning of WW2 the Swiss had outdated weaponry, 5 tanks, three of which were being repaired. You bet they cared about what was happening outside their frontiers, they were completely surrounded by fascists. The plan was to stand and die basically, most Swiss were convinced that this was what was going to happen.

Do some reading

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Swiss dude on the right doesn't seem that impressed, arms crossed angry look on his face

he does that always when he his not in the mood...he is actually quite famous for this particular expression and has even been mocked on Swiss National TV for doing that...rolleyes.gif

Or, he's just upset he didn't get the Obama Treatment.

that's because Obama is so much more handsum man....

"I can assure you that there will be no reconciliation this year or next, thank you for your continued support." The PM said, naturally she said it Thai as she does not yet speak Swiss. The Swiss gentleman was also rather confused by Thai as he had never heard anything like it before ( thats why he looks confused ) THe PM confirmed that Kit Kats would be put on the agenda at the next meeting along with a few cuckoo clocks and a picture of William Tell ( Switzerland's answer to Big Ben).

Edited by nong38
  • Like 1

Switzerland was never bothered when most of the world was fighting against the Axis tyranny.

Another uninformed comment about Switzerland. At the beginning of WW2 the Swiss had outdated weaponry, 5 tanks, three of which were being repaired. You bet they cared about what was happening outside their frontiers, they were completely surrounded by fascists. The plan was to stand and die basically, most Swiss were convinced that this was what was going to happen.

Do some reading

+1

Do some reading

Oh, please! Try taking some of your own advice.

Other countries were in a similar position but they didn't choose to become the Nazi's bankers.

• Like 1

"I can assure you that there will be no reconciliation this year or next, thank you for your continued support." The PM said, naturally she said it Thai as she does not yet speak Swiss. The Swiss gentleman was also rather confused by Thai as he had never heard anything like it before ( thats why he looks confused ) THe PM confirmed that Kit Kats would be put on the agenda at the next meeting along with a few cuckoo clocks and a picture of William Tell ( Switzerland's answer to Big Ben).

Nobody speaks "Swiss".

However, P.M.Yingluck may have charmed them with some schoolgirl French, or a few phrases of German she picked up when visiting Frau Merkel, or maybe a smattering of Italiano gleaned at the Milan shows.giggle.gif

As for cuckoo clocks, perhaps a few hundred might be more appropriate in the parliament building?

• Like 2

attachicon.gifueli1.jpg................attachicon.gifys.jpg.............attachicon.gifueli2.jpg

You're joking, right?............................Please buy our rice.,................If you buy 1000 tons of chocolate.

attachicon.gifueli3.jpg.....................attachicon.gifueli4.jpg

Actually, see this?..........................................I came this close to walking out.

That should be posted every day, if only to remind Thailand of it's credibility.

Hope she has better luck at the ROLEX shop on the main drag (near the train station) in Zurich if she goes there.

First I had to line-up with other would-be customers who were given the "Hairy-eyeball" by the Security guy before being admitted. I then proceeded to explain that the Rolex I'd bought in Bangkok a week or two earlier wasn't working. The Watchmaker took one look at it, weighed it in his hand and snarled at me, pointing to the door as he ordered me out of his shop.

Can only assume that they need to get a Consumer Affairs Office in Zurich to ensure that punters are provided with the Warranty they deserve on things like Rolex watches.

• Like 1

Do some reading

Oh, please! Try taking some of your own advice.

Other countries were in a similar position but they didn't choose to become the Nazi's bankers.

But they would have if they could have. Nobody else was completely surrounded and desperately trying to keep out of the war by all means. I don't need to do all that much reading as I lived there for 40 years. The UsA profited by entering late into bothWWs, Switzerland accepted more Jewish refugees per capita than any other country despite a grave lack of supplies.

Come to invest in Thailand, you will be allowed to have 49% of shares in the company you funded 100%.

That is not true. I invested USD 2 million and my 100% foreign owned company owns all the land (13 Rai) and I have no Thai partners. I got it all legally from the Thailand Board Of Investment (BOI) and I did not have to pay anything to anybody. First you must have a good business plan exporting or selling to foreigners. There are many foreign companies in Thailand enjoying this benefit.

Perhaps PM-Yingluck should, upon her return home, instruct FM-Surapong to arrange to open a local Thai embassy, who could then take over promoting the sales of Thai-rice to the Swiss ?

Then she wouldn't have to spend her valuable time-away-from-home on normal FM-business, leaving more time for shopping and photo-opportunities, or speeches about democracy ? wink.png

Come to invest in Thailand, you will be allowed to have 49% of shares in the company you funded 100%.

That is not true. I invested USD 2 million and my 100% foreign owned company owns all the land (13 Rai) and I have no Thai partners. I got it all legally from the Thailand Board Of Investment (BOI) and I did not have to pay anything to anybody. First you must have a good business plan exporting or selling to foreigners. There are many foreign companies in Thailand enjoying this benefit.

Well the most obvious limitation is that BOI is basically for export only.

• Like 1

Ms Yingluck invited Swiss investors to join in the development of mega projects in Thailand

And when you get scammed go to a Thai court where you will have no clue of what is going on, not be able to choose your own translator, suffer adjournment after adjournment as the lawyers use every trick to delay the case, realize that Thai egalitarian principles are very unlike those in the west, realize the court staff are in on the corruption and the court translators, staff and local lawyers are one big team you are very likely to lose against - especially when your evidence gets removed for a small fee.

Not a place to invest at all because if the laws on company ownership are not bad enough then the interpretation given by the courts and the legal process will finish you off.

• Like 2

I concur with the sentiment, however, visit the Musée de l’Horlogerie in Geneva, ask where all the cuckoo clocks are, and watch what happens.

I'm sorry to shatter your illusions but there's no such language as Swiss. There are four languages spoken in Switzerland. The most spoken is German, followed by French, Italian and, with less than 1%, Romansh.

William Tell is Switzerland's answer to Big Ben? William Tell is a 14th century folk hero and Big Ben is a 19th century bell. Where's the connection?

He didn't want to be there.....he had something important to do.

Maybe he is p&ssed off....he got told a Shinawatra was coming to Switzerland and he thought her brother was coming to stash a few billion in stolen money in the banks there, instead all he got was his bimbo sister bleating on about rice and reconciliation

He's a little confused because yingluck seems to think that swiss people eat Thai rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This really is a perfect example of her not having the slightest clue of how agribusiness works. Starbucks buys all its coffee from itself in Switzerland to keep profits there. You think they have warehouses of millions of tonnes of rice and coffee and other commodities in Switzerland?

She really has shown herself to be illiterate in multinational business. Great effort.

Looks like the briefing for her got lost in translation...

Average per person consumption of rice differs from country to country. The following are the top ten consumers of rice on a per capita basis in 2007, showing average annual rice consumption (kilograms) per person:

Brunei Darussalam: 245*

Viet Nam: 166

Lao People's Democratic Republic: 163

Bangladesh: 160

Myanmar: 157

Cambodia: 152

Philippines: 129

Indonesia: 125

Thailand: 103

Madagascar: 102

For the consumption of Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein scroll down to the end of the list.

Estimated time for scrolling: 10 to 15 mins.

Approximately 45,000 tons of rice are consumed in Switzerland every year, which corresponds

to around 5.62 kilos per head and a little over 1‰ of the worldwide total.

Switzerland Milled Rice Domestic Consumption by Year:

Market Year - 2013

Domestic Consumption - 120

Unit of Measure - (1000 MT)

Growth Rate -4.00 %

*BRUNEI July 11, 2013 The Federation of Cambodian Rice Millers Association are to deliver a total of 3,000 tons of rice. The price for the shipment, it was reported, was set at US$1,020 per ton – US$104 cheaper than imported Thailand rice that Bruneians are more accustomed to.

Edited by TackyToo

I'm sorry to shatter your illusions but there's no such language as Swiss. There are four languages spoken in Switzerland. The most spoken is German, followed by French, Italian and, with less than 1%, Romansh.

William Tell is Switzerland's answer to Big Ben? William Tell is a 14th century folk hero and Big Ben is a 19th century bell. Where's the connection?

I have a diploma in Swiss from Ratchamanda University, do you mean I have been scammed? This was apparently a pre requiste for applying to join the Swiss Navy.

If someone came from another part of the world, presented some grand plans to me, and the grand plans have no effect on me and my country, it is not very difficult for me to say "Ya ya... that's a good plan, go ahead, good luck." Sure, they will have my support as long as you stop talking, and I don't have to do anything, invest anything or even hear anything about it from hereon.

PM meets Swiss President on reviving Thailand - EFTA

BANGKOK, 12 September 2013 (NNT) – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has discussed the possibility of reviving Thailand - EFTA Free Trade Agreement with Swiss President Ueli Maurer in the hope of boosting Thai economic growth.

During her official visit to Switzerland, Prime Minister Yingluck met with Swiss President and Defense minister Ueli Maurer at the Lohn Manor, where the Thai Premier showed her gratitude for a warm welcome and expressed her appreciation for the amicable relations between Thailand and Switzerland. Miss Yingluck also invited President Ueli to visit Thailand in the future.

The Thai Premier took this opportunity to assure the Swiss President of Thailand’s strong economy and investment potential, especially in the government’s mega projects, which Miss Yingluck said she wanted to see Swiss companies, particularly those in the logistics industry, take part in, as Switzerland has one of the most efficient logistics systems in the world.

Miss Yingluck went on to tell the President that Thailand was ready to revive the Thailand - EFTA Free Trade Agreement. Thailand is Switzerland's second largest trade partner in Southeast Asia. The trade volume between the two accounts accounts for 90 percent of all EFTA countries, which include Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-12 footer_n.gif