Phuket Police officer beaten in mass brawl as suspect resists arrest

Lite Beer

Serving an arrest warrant on an individual with the type of criminal history described certainly called for a tactical plan. I've observed the Thai Police in the field and their approach in regards to officer safety is appalling. They seldom do a pat down for weapons, don't conduct a full body search when making arrests and often don't handcuff the arrestee. Its a matter of time before another is seriously injured of killed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone here have any pity for the policeman? Just asking whistling.gif

As a human being, of course I have pitty on him. As a Senior Police Officer, who possibly didn't have a tactical plan or do any intelligence collecting on the suspect and his accomplices, not so much pity.

Edited by Benmart

Serving an arrest warrant on an individual with the type of criminal history described certainly called for a tactical plan. I've observed the Thai Police in the field and their approach in regards to officer safety is appalling. They seldom do a pat down for weapons, don't conduct a full body search when making arrests and often don't handcuff the arrestee. Its a matter of time before another is seriously injured of killed.

Normally, if you cooperate with Thai police, you’re entitled to the presumption of innocence and are not handcuffed until charged. It’s when you start back chatting ie.shouting to police or try to evade them then the problem starts because this is an indication of your resistance and denial to cooperate.

Undercover so,

A. Watch the game and follow the guy home or to wherever he goes next and pin him down.

B. Watch the game and pretend like you did not see him to avoid conflict and go home for a nice sleep.

C. Be a tough guy and remember, under cover, threaten a local team member and wait for his supporters to decide if you are threatening their team.

D. Stop some motor bike riders without helmets and collect tea money.

There are only so many options and some of them are just soo boring!

I'm confused... the "other officers" suffered only minor injuries, yet all of the bad guys got away? And the other officers can't recall how many people they were fighting with--while apprehending none? Something sounds a bit fishy.

That's what I was wondering too...along with the question... what exactly were the other cops doing while their colleague was getting walloped?

And the others couldn't manage at the scene to arrest one single person among the group of assailants???

Why try and arrest someone when they have a virtually unlimited number of people around them, who could help them resist arrest and escape? Surely a watch and wait strategy would have played out better.

Or at least nab him when he was getting changed after the match and had his shorts round his ankles.

Does anyone here have any pity for the policeman? Just asking Posted Image

Should any thai policeman know that shooting (in the air) while threatened by a mob or following a standard operational team procedure during arrests should be strictly followed ? Just asking >_>

I'm confused... the "other officers" suffered only minor injuries, yet all of the bad guys got away?  And the other officers can't recall how many people they were fighting with--while apprehending none?  Something sounds a bit fishy.

Only a guess but maybe the ranking officer thought his 'postion' afforded some protection from the mob. Coupled with the sendentary lifestyle he was the one unable to get away. The foot soldiers, who are more streetwise, saw the situation for the cockup it was and beat a hasty retreat.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For decades the police decided not to do anything about criminal activities on Phuket (partly because they are involved), leading criminals to believe they can do whatever they want. This "policy" now comes back and bites them in their behind.

Your respectfully entitled to your assumption. However, why are Phuket jail’s so overloaded and who put them there? Spend a day in Phuket provincial court with a translator and you might discover that Phuket newspapers are lucky to report 10 % of cases and criminals caught in Phuket which results in readers like yourself believing in what you read and see based on the limited resources and information available. It hardly makes interesting reading to report all the cases but some Thai language only tabloids do.

I'm confused... the "other officers" suffered only minor injuries, yet all of the bad guys got away? And the other officers can't recall how many people they were fighting with--while apprehending none? Something sounds a bit fishy.

That's what I was wondering too...along with the question... what exactly were the other cops doing while their colleague was getting walloped?

And the others couldn't manage at the scene to arrest one single person among the group of assailants???

Guess people don't want to read the whole story. "Mass Brawl" in the title should have been your first clue. Then how about this rather informative lines in the second article:

Wirat, spotting them arriving, called on friends to aid him. Soccer players and supporters who streamed from the stands answered the call.

Seeing themselves outnumbered by Wirat’s friends and supporters, the police turned to flee but Col Sommai was caught and beaten insensible in front of the crowd.

In other words, you probably had a handful of police officers being set upon by many more people from the stands. Perhaps four or five against 10? 20? More? Of course, the rambos here think that going in with guns drawn would have avoided this. More likely, you'd have some dead people on the football field (perhaps including police officers). Smarter move may have been to corner the suspect in a different setting... but it's too easy for us to second-guess the decisions made by police officers. Of course, that doesn't stop the people around here...

Irrespective of everyones assumption, the soft approach used by police, in that district, is seen as cultural respect because the hard approach in the past has resulted in unfortunate fatalities and in turn the locals tend to block the road for days demanding the transfer of arresting police officers.

The area where police failed to arrest the wanted man fringes on the border of the Bang Tao district, which is a very sensitive area in terms of upholding the law and respecting cultural differences;

What 'cultural differences' are you referring to here? Please elaborate.

As to the earlier posts questioning the Thai police's handling of the situation, one needs to remember it's the RTP we're talking about here, not a professional police force as it's known in the west.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Irrespective of everyones assumption, the soft approach used by police, in that district, is seen as cultural respect because the hard approach in the past has resulted in unfortunate fatalities and in turn the locals tend to block the road for days demanding the transfer of arresting police officers.

The area where police failed to arrest the wanted man fringes on the border of the Bang Tao district, which is a very sensitive area in terms of upholding the law and respecting cultural differences;

What 'cultural differences' are you referring to here? Please elaborate.

As to the earlier posts questioning the Thai police's handling of the situation, one needs to remember it's the RTP we're talking about here, not a professional police force as it's known in the west.

No need to elaborate on the issue of cultural differences. Those who live and work in Phuket know how to get along with communities which is in stark contrast to those who would wish Thailand to be the same, as you have aptly describe, as in the west or better known as pluralistic societies.

Thai people only came out of the jungle in the last 80 years. So a little hard to meet everyone expectation and aspire to the CSI or Starsky & Hutch philosophy that those from the west would wish for overnight.

No need to elaborate on the issue of cultural differences. Those who live and work in Phuket know how to get along with communities which is in stark contrast to those who would wish Thailand to be the same, as you have aptly describe, as in the west or better known as pluralistic societies.[/size]

Thai people only came out of the jungle in the last 80 years. So a little hard to meet everyone expectation and aspire to the CSI or Starsky & Hutch philosophy that those from the west would wish for overnight.

As your earlier post is unnecessarly cryptic, I feel there is a need to elaborate.

And your other oh-so-superior and plainly ridiculous assumptions regarding expectations of pluralistic societies and professional CSI standards in LOS, well, to quote Captain Mainwarrng: "Silly boy!".

I say the police are fishy, one get beaten and the other backup guys chicken out, maybe even running like rabbits.

Time to get the TV detectives in action here coffee1.gif

Does anyone here have any pity for the policeman? Just asking whistling.gif

Should any thai policeman know that shooting (in the air) while threatened by a mob or following a standard operational team procedure during arrests should be strictly followed ? Just asking >_>

what goes up must come down....

not a good idea around a huge crowd,

but I agree that some sort of tactics should have been used,and I though Thailand had ceased to amaze me,

but a load of coppers legging it and leaving their fellow officer on the ground getting beat to a pulp beggars belief.

Thai police too good, in other countries the attackers get shoot already for self defense with no guilt .

in the west they do not want to make it a riot so they will back out if confronted with a large number of people

i do not know how many were there on the field but i guess a few more than 50 or so

and probably with guns and knifes to ( they take bombs guns and knifes to a party so why not when watching a game)

Thai police too good, in other countries the attackers get shoot already for self defense with no guilt .

in the west they do not want to make it a riot so they will back out if confronted with a large number of people

i do not know how many were there on the field but i guess a few more than 50 or so

and probably with guns and knifes to ( they take bombs guns and knifes to a party so why not when watching a game)

And video them all for arrest later.
  • Like 1