Restaurant recommendations

hanno

The food is first class, seriously the nicest Thai food I have had in 7 years here - the price is ridiculous., main courses are around 60 baht - I am sure anyone who has been will back me up on this.

Not me. I like the atmosphere there, but, to me, the food is pretty much the same as any other Thai vegetarian place that makes it fresh. I have never understood why some people think that it is so special.

Some folks rave about A Taste of Heaven too, but I put it right in the same category.

Clearly the OP is more concerned about ambiance and presentation that good grub.

Not sure what makes you say that? I mentioned m ore than once that I am after good food. Maybe you should read all posts before jumping to conclusions???

Scotinsiam, Pun Pun is already pencilled in.

I was starving when I got into Chiang Mai last night and we just headed to the nearest restaurant, "The Riverside".

Let me start with the good: service was outstanding, the ambiance is OK, the beer was ice-cold, and the fish (forgot the name but it was Northern Thailand style) was very good.

As it rained, the had lowered this really ugly blue roof over the terrace, basically blocking what would have been a nice view and making the interior very sombre.

The fried chicken in Pandanus leaf arrived after 2 minutes, it had been pr-fried and just chucked into the frier again; it was lukewarm inside. The steamed rice was so overcooked that I only ate it because I was starving.

Thus, a mixed bag but the place started heaving from 6 onwards so they must be doing something right.

Digestifs we had at the 137 Pillar's House; extremely nice! Punched all my buttons and my friend pronounced the watermelon Mojito as very good (regrettably I only drink beer).

Lunch will be at some local place, watch this space.

I find that just because a place is busy here, or anywhere for that matter, does not always signify good eats. The Riverside is a touristy place that's enjoyed by its customers I believe not especially for the food per se but as a nice place to eat, especially after one's taste buds have been dulled by a few cocktails. There are different kinds of places for different clientele with different wants and needs.

If I'm not mistaken I believe your still mixing up the two different Pun Pun Restaurants unless you plan on eating at both which wouldn't be the worse thing, I've enjoyed many meals at both myself.

I plan on following your culinary journey as you cut a swath with a knife and fork, or should that be a fork and spoon, through our fine city.

If I'm not mistaken I believe your still mixing up the two different Pun Pun Restaurants unless you plan on eating at both which wouldn't be the worse thing,

Yes, indeed. There is the manly, meat and potatoes Pun Pun owned by Gonzo and the wimpy vegetarian Pun Pun on temple grounds in the middle of a lovely garden area with really nice trees.

For culinary experiences ..here are my fav

Ambience and food mix

High Tea - Dhara Devi / Chedi

Dim Sum - Fujian @ Dhara Devi

Buffets - Holiday Inn & Meriden

Brunch - 4 Seasons

Fast Food - KFC !!!

Western - Dukes

Khao Soi - Lamduan along Highway

Chinese Style Seafood - Thamjin & the new one along canal road before the giant windmill

Others - Mix Restaurant @ Promenada

For culinary experiences ..here are my fav

Ambience and food mix

High Tea - Dhara Devi / Chedi

Dim Sum - Fujian @ Dhara Devi

Buffets - Holiday Inn & Meriden

Brunch - 4 Seasons

Fast Food - KFC !!!

Western - Dukes

Khao Soi - Lamduan along Highway

Chinese Style Seafood - Thamjin & the new one along canal road before the giant windmill

Others - Mix Restaurant @ Promenada

I don't think you mean 'high tea' but rather just 'tea' or perhaps 'afternoon tea' - which I agree is very good at the Chedi. ('High tea' is a quite different thing - which really one would not expect to be served at a halfway smart or expensive place.)

Edited by triffid

The food is first class, seriously the nicest Thai food I have had in 7 years here - the price is ridiculous., main courses are around 60 baht - I am sure anyone who has been will back me up on this.

Not me. I like the atmosphere there, but, to me, the food is pretty much the same as any other Thai vegetarian place that makes it fresh. I have never understood why some people think that it is so special.

Some folks rave about A Taste of Heaven too, but I put it right in the same category.

My wife and I ate at Taste of Heaven a couple days ago and were informed by the waitress that they were closing due to a lease problem. Food options were limited and the interior was partly gutted already. Too bad, I kinda liked that place.

Yesterday, we tried the newish vegetarian restaurant on Chang Klan. It's a bit south of the traffic Lanna Palace Hotel traffic light and across from that new shopping center, I forget the name. Anyways there is a big sign on the road and you need to turn in and go a ways behind where there is plenty of parking. The ambience of the place shady trees et al is fine, there is an big menu and very reasonably priced. We thought the food was a bit bland, other than that, it was a nice experience.

While I have a chance, I'll put in a plug for the Lanna Palace buffet lunch, every day at 11:30. You don't hear it mentioned much with the other popular buffets, but it is well worth checking out for about 180 baht.

That is too bad about Taste of Heaven. It was open late.

They had the best vegetarian spring rolls that I have ever eaten when they were cooked right, but that only happened every now and then. Usually they were just OK - the same as most other places.

They are moving not closing. The new location was posted for months. Surely the sign must still be there indicating the new location. No?

re

Yesterday, we tried the newish vegetarian restaurant on Chang Klan. It's a bit south of the traffic Lanna Palace Hotel traffic light and across from that new shopping center, I forget the name. Anyways there is a big sign on the road and you need to turn in and go a ways behind where there is plenty of parking. The ambience of the place shady trees et al is fine, there is an big menu and very reasonably priced

the rr is called fuang and its behind the shops opposite the curve which is mostly a learning centre for kids !

not a shopping centre smile.png

dave2

post-42592-0-12066900-1379476437_thumb.j

post-42592-0-43743400-1379476477_thumb.j

post-42592-0-56107300-1379476628_thumb.j

the rr is called fuang and its behind the shops opposite the curve which is mostly a learning centre for kids !

A big KFC sign is almost directly across the street, so easy to find.

ELT200712241031183343744.JPG

I always wondered why Colonel Sanders looks Chinese.

Hi Hanno, this is Gonzo.

Don't think that I did anything that could be cause or consideration for banning but who knows.

Not assuming that we fit in with the other possibly hoity toity places suggested, but would be interesting to meet another TV'er anytime.

No we are not in the same league as most of those mentioned, but do like to think that we provide good food, plentiful and value conscious. If you are looking for food and dishes to photograph and put into the Hi So Mags, then perhaps you should give us a miss. However if you ARE looking for good and plentiful food, to put into your stomach, as in western food, Thai food, and Shan Food , please consider giving us a visit...... directions and little more info is available by clicking on The Pun Pun banner on the top of this Forum.

Be nice to chat with you

Gonzo

We will be in Chiang Mai next month. We have 3 children aged from 1 to 15. Is your restaurant family friendly?

Of course ...... we love children,,,,, especially breaded and deep fried.... Ummmmmh

On a serious note, while we do not have any swings or that type of playground facilities, of course, we are a family restaurant. Having said that , we do expect parents to mind their children and do draw the line if children get out of hand and start tearing up the place.

We have a 18month old here and there should be no problems. ..... and I am considered uncle or grandpa to many. So yes , please come for a visit.

Gonzo

• Like 1

Of course ...... we love children,,,,, especially breaded and deep fried.... Ummmmmh

On a serious note, while we do not have any swings or that type of playground facilities, of course, we are a family restaurant. Having said that , we do expect parents to mind their children and do draw the line if children get out of hand and start tearing up the place.

We have a 18month old here and there should be no problems. ..... and I am considered uncle or grandpa to many. So yes , please come for a visit.

Gonzo

Thanks for your reply. I will try and have the 1 year "terror" behave himself.

19th of September:

Another so-so breakfast at the Rati Lanna.

We returned to the “Khoa Soy Samer Jai” for lunch as we really did like the food the first time around. I gave the blood soup a miss and chose the Khaow-Soi (Egg noodle in curry Lanna style) this time round. I also ordered the Sate again as well as some fish cakes. The noodles and Sate were once again fantastic, but the fish cakes were salty like heck and I would give them a miss.

They do not have much in the way of desserts so we went to the “Wawee Coffee” by the river. The coffee was decent enough but the cakes were nothing special. The Blueberry Cheesecake was awful, with the pastry still half raw and the Tirami Su was anything but.

After checking in at the Shangri La, and a shower, we headed for the Chedi. They did at first not want to give u a table as we did not take the high tea, but then reluctantly agreed as long as we disappeared not to stay later than 18:00. Not sure what the fuss was about as I spent USD 60.00 for a couple of beers and a scone. The beers were Hoegaarden, perfect beer to sit by a river in nice surroundings. The scone was pronounced excellent but I thought the service had room for improvement. At one stage there were no staff at all, and when I did track one down and asked for a restroom, I got a very monosyllabic response; the same happened later to my friend. I also got a lot of grief for taking a photo! Considering their prices, they may want to invest a little money into staff training.

There were quite a few Chinese guests having the “High Tea”. They ordered one each and ended up with way too much food. I don’t like to see food wasted and it was painful to watch them just eat a pastry or two and leaving everything else.

We had actually contemplated having dinner at the Chedi but the service, or lack of it, put us off a lot. Instead we returned to 137 Pillars House for drinks and a feed. The service was once again outstanding and I do like the restaurant a lot. We both ordered Duck, my friend had “Gaeng Phed Ped Yang” (Roasted Duck red curry), I had Pan-fried duck breast with caramelized cashew nuts. Both dishes were very good though in retrospect I should have gone for the curry, too. All of this was washed down with dark Beer Lap and Paulaner; beer and Thai food go perfectly well together as far as I am concerned. Though full we did try the mango with sticky rice as a dessert and this too was very good with the rice cooked to just the right consistency.

Considering the surroundings, the service, and the food, I do not think the place is very expensive. Thai dishes are around the THB 300.00 mark and the most expensive item I saw on the menu was grain-feed Aussie beef at THB 1,200.00. The beers were fairly expensive, with the Paulaner at USD 10.00 but then it came all the way from Germany.

20th of September

I might not care too much for the Shangri La, everything is sized XXXL, but they do one heck of a breakfast. Massive choice and very good quality. I could have spent a couple of hours but we had to go zip-lining.

Fear makes me hungry son once my knees had stopped shaking, we headed to “The Whole Earth” restaurant. I had seen some good comments on TripAdvisor but also some not so good comments about the service. The lady that took our order was outright unfriendly and did not manage a single smile. I ordered Indian food and she asked me if I wanted it “Indian” or “European” style. I did not understand the question, I have eaten hundreds of Indian meals and have never been asked this. When I asked for an explanation, she got seriously pissed off and told me that Farang cannot eat food that I why they usually make it European style for them. I grew up with Indian food and told her that I would like it the way it should be.

Luckily, there was another waiter there that was a lot friendlier. I ordered Chicken Kofta with garlic Naan whilst my friend went for a Papaya salad. The Kofta was pretty good. The lovely waitress had obviously asked the kitchen to whack a lot of chili into the curry, too bad for her that that is just the way I like it…… The curry was good but not very big, only three meat balls and the 4 Naans were the size of stamps. The Papaya salad was very, very good and if I ever come back to the place, I would probably go for the Thai food. Prices are not too bad, with the curries around THB 170.00 and the vegetarian dishes around THB 150.00.

That afternoon it was off to BKK, Thai Smile served something that I had certainly no interest in eating; and that was Chiang Mai. I had some amazingly good food and hotels and it was a great trip.

• Like 1

19th of September:

Another so-so breakfast at the Rati Lanna.

We returned to the “Khoa Soy Samer Jai” for lunch as we really did like the food the first time around. I gave the blood soup a miss and chose the Khaow-Soi (Egg noodle in curry Lanna style) this time round. I also ordered the Sate again as well as some fish cakes. The noodles and Sate were once again fantastic, but the fish cakes were salty like heck and I would give them a miss.

They do not have much in the way of desserts so we went to the “Wawee Coffee” by the river. The coffee was decent enough but the cakes were nothing special. The Blueberry Cheesecake was awful, with the pastry still half raw and the Tirami Su was anything but.

After checking in at the Shangri La, and a shower, we headed for the Chedi. They did at first not want to give u a table as we did not take the high tea, but then reluctantly agreed as long as we disappeared not to stay later than 18:00. Not sure what the fuss was about as I spent USD 60.00 for a couple of beers and a scone. The beers were Hoegaarden, perfect beer to sit by a river in nice surroundings. The scone was pronounced excellent but I thought the service had room for improvement. At one stage there were no staff at all, and when I did track one down and asked for a restroom, I got a very monosyllabic response; the same happened later to my friend. I also got a lot of grief for taking a photo! Considering their prices, they may want to invest a little money into staff training.

There were quite a few Chinese guests having the “High Tea”. They ordered one each and ended up with way too much food. I don’t like to see food wasted and it was painful to watch them just eat a pastry or two and leaving everything else.

We had actually contemplated having dinner at the Chedi but the service, or lack of it, put us off a lot. Instead we returned to 137 Pillars House for drinks and a feed. The service was once again outstanding and I do like the restaurant a lot. We both ordered Duck, my friend had “Gaeng Phed Ped Yang” (Roasted Duck red curry), I had Pan-fried duck breast with caramelized cashew nuts. Both dishes were very good though in retrospect I should have gone for the curry, too. All of this was washed down with dark Beer Lap and Paulaner; beer and Thai food go perfectly well together as far as I am concerned. Though full we did try the mango with sticky rice as a dessert and this too was very good with the rice cooked to just the right consistency.

Considering the surroundings, the service, and the food, I do not think the place is very expensive. Thai dishes are around the THB 300.00 mark and the most expensive item I saw on the menu was grain-feed Aussie beef at THB 1,200.00. The beers were fairly expensive, with the Paulaner at USD 10.00 but then it came all the way from Germany.

20th of September

I might not care too much for the Shangri La, everything is sized XXXL, but they do one heck of a breakfast. Massive choice and very good quality. I could have spent a couple of hours but we had to go zip-lining.

Fear makes me hungry son once my knees had stopped shaking, we headed to “The Whole Earth” restaurant. I had seen some good comments on TripAdvisor but also some not so good comments about the service. The lady that took our order was outright unfriendly and did not manage a single smile. I ordered Indian food and she asked me if I wanted it “Indian” or “European” style. I did not understand the question, I have eaten hundreds of Indian meals and have never been asked this. When I asked for an explanation, she got seriously pissed off and told me that Farang cannot eat food that I why they usually make it European style for them. I grew up with Indian food and told her that I would like it the way it should be.

Luckily, there was another waiter there that was a lot friendlier. I ordered Chicken Kofta with garlic Naan whilst my friend went for a Papaya salad. The Kofta was pretty good. The lovely waitress had obviously asked the kitchen to whack a lot of chili into the curry, too bad for her that that is just the way I like it…… The curry was good but not very big, only three meat balls and the 4 Naans were the size of stamps. The Papaya salad was very, very good and if I ever come back to the place, I would probably go for the Thai food. Prices are not too bad, with the curries around THB 170.00 and the vegetarian dishes around THB 150.00.

That afternoon it was off to BKK, Thai Smile served something that I had certainly no interest in eating; and that was Chiang Mai. I had some amazingly good food and hotels and it was a great trip.

if you are in bkk, try the Sheraton Grand Buffet for breakfast as well as the weekend dinner buffet.

the breakfast buffet has smoked salmon :)

Beccofino's for Italian food.

The weekday lunch buffet at Le Meridien hotel, especially toward the end of the week when they're a little busier and put out more dishes.

Afternoon tea at the DehraDavi (where you're planning to have dinner, too). Also, the afternoon tea at The Chedi is good. They have very good Indian food, too.

Is there a specal night at the Chedi for an Indian buffet? If so do you know the cost as the Chedi is an up market operation.

​Thanks NancyL. The GM at the Le Meridien is a friend of mine, maybe I can wrangle an invite;-)

Stick to the Brunch it was good. Can't say the same for the evening buffet. I believe Sunday they do a different menu.

if you are in bkk, try the Sheraton Grand Buffet for breakfast as well as the weekend dinner buffet.

Thanks KRS1, I will.

Stick to the Brunch it was good.

northernjohn, the Italian food at Le Meridien was actually amazingly good! And I did get invited:-)