Restaurant recommendations

hanno

I will spend all week next week in Chiang Mai and would be happy to get some restaurant recommendations. Cuisine doesn't matter, good food does.

I already have reservations at Chedi, Pillar House and Dehradevi but that leaves about 9 more places.....

Thank you very much in advance,

Hanno

you should also try Trip advisor it lists all the

fine restaurants in Chiang Mai,with reviews.

Whilst I do use TripAdvisor, I am a little cautious when it comes to restaurants. I live in Siem Reap and some of the top-10 restaurants on Tripadvisor are not very good (though others admittedly are). I don't know how the algorithm works, but there is something wrong when a restaurant with just a handful of reviews can shoot to the top.

P.S.: Doesn't have to be expensive restaurants only, good food is the main criteria.

Thank you for the recommendations so far. I'll be back on here after the trip to let you know how I fared.

• Like 1

I would recommended Huen Phen inside the moat... And slum it one night at Duke's

Although the atmosphere at Huen Phen is quaint, I have found the portion sizes to be on the smallish size and many of the dishes very boring. If you have transportation, There is an extremely good Thai restaurant just off of Canal Road and the new Convention Centre. The name is something like Ban Doi ______ and it is next door and just south of Phuket Seafood Restaurant. Most evenings after 7:30 pm they have wonderful western style folk music--and if you closed your eyes you would never, ever think you were in Asia. Another good spot not in the city centre is House of Palm just off of Doi Saket road on a soi opposite the hospital--they are open Thursday through Sunday--great relaxing atmosphere surrounded by palm trees on a pond. Another wonderful Thai and western food place is 9 moo 9 off of Canal Road in Hang Dong--I belive they are open only weekends for lunch.

I would recommended Huen Phen inside the moat... And slum it one night at Duke's

Although the atmosphere at Huen Phen is quaint, I have found the portion sizes to be on the smallish size and many of the dishes very boring. If you have transportation, There is an extremely good Thai restaurant just off of Canal Road and the new Convention Centre. The name is something like Ban Doi ______ and it is next door and just south of Phuket Seafood Restaurant. Most evenings after 7:30 pm they have wonderful western style folk music--and if you closed your eyes you would never, ever think you were in Asia. Another good spot not in the city centre is House of Palm just off of Doi Saket road on a soi opposite the hospital--they are open Thursday through Sunday--great relaxing atmosphere surrounded by palm trees on a pond. Another wonderful Thai and western food place is 9 moo 9 off of Canal Road in Hang Dong--I belive they are open only weekends for lunch.

Make a reservation at House of Palm. We showed up there once and they were quite rude to us. They said a reservation is "absolutely required". Haven't been back as they were so rude. But in time we will give it another go, next time with a reservation.

Keep 'em coming:-)

Gonzo, I have a German passport, grew up in Africa and have lived in Switzerland, Luxembourg, Dubai, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, and a couple of other places.

So really: cuisine does not matter.

PM me with details as I don't want you to get suspended.

Hanno

Hi Hanno, this is Gonzo.

Don't think that I did anything that could be cause or consideration for banning but who knows.

Not assuming that we fit in with the other possibly hoity toity places suggested, but would be interesting to meet another TV'er anytime.

No we are not in the same league as most of those mentioned, but do like to think that we provide good food, plentiful and value conscious. If you are looking for food and dishes to photograph and put into the Hi So Mags, then perhaps you should give us a miss. However if you ARE looking for good and plentiful food, to put into your stomach, as in western food, Thai food, and Shan Food , please consider giving us a visit...... directions and little more info is available by clicking on The Pun Pun banner on the top of this Forum.

Be nice to chat with you

Gonzo

Edited by ThePunPun
  • Like 1

'The Hideaway' is good if you like Western food, and they do Thai as well. Next door to 'DeCheeso' cheese factory. Its off the top of 108 to Hang Dong, turn left at SCB bank. Closed on Sundays.

If you have wheels and you like something different, a few klicks out of town is 'Canyon View' off Canal Road, past Hang Dong Golf Course on your left, proceed another 500 m and turn right near Cement Works (there is a sign there), up a windy lane, across small crossroads and up an unmade road. Go Lunchtime as busy at night and slow service. Well worth the trouble for the views and the food. Price very reasonable.

• Like 1

Hi Gonzo,

I don't know why I came across as only wanting "hoity-toity" placesbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png .

I am actually invited to some of the restaurants, but I do not mind spending money on food.

Having said that, I eat in an amazingly wide range of eateries, from street food to up-market.

I will make certain to pop in next week; whilst no vegetarian I do like the odd break from meat.

Regards,

Hanno

Hi Gonzo,

I don't know why I came across as only wanting "hoity-toity" placesbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png .

I am actually invited to some of the restaurants, but I do not mind spending money on food.

Having said that, I eat in an amazingly wide range of eateries, from street food to up-market.

I will make certain to pop in next week; whilst no vegetarian I do like the odd break from meat.

Regards,

Hanno

OOOHHHHHH Hannno, Please do not confuse us with that other name kidnapping place that seem not to see the greatness in MEAT ! ! !

All the best to them, but they do have their cross to bear. We are THE PUN PUN . read as the original and have been here as The Pun Pun for some 30 + years....... close to 18 years now with yours truly.

While we do like our veggies, just not as a sole diet, we are the Pun Pun on the river, the Meatatarians. In other words good folks come here to eat not graze. tongue.png

If you wish to try THEM though, it might interesting listening to their music with so many organs going at once. Bay-Tov- Ann, organic this and organic that. Must sound like a cathedral.

As stated earlier, click on the Pun Pun banner on top and there is a location map to find us, on the east bank of the river.

Do hope you can make it, be good chatting with you.

Gonzo

Edited by ThePunPun

Gonzo, I do not have a Pun Pun banner on this page, that is why I googled. I guess the banners could be location specific?

Hanno, not on this page....... click to open the main page of the Chiang Mai Forum. It is a small yellow blinking Banner at the top center left of the page.

barring that not working..... hopefully this will work....

MaptoThePunPun-1.jpg

In my experience most of the good places here only prepare a few dishes well so I suggest that posters not only recommend where but also what they like there. Furthermore I recommend, except in a few circumstances, to stick with Thai cuisine. The hankering for a taste of home has distorted us expats' memories and anything that comes remotely similar to the real thing makes our need for a quick fix satisfied. Yes there are exceptions, a good pizza can be found here, but I'll leave that discussion for another time, but did you really come here for a burger? As you didn't say where you came from unless it's an even more remote place I think you can fill your days and stomach with the wide variety of local foods and have a truly memorable eating experience during your trip here. Try a Burmese noodle shop, a real Northern Thai lunch and explore the local foodstuffs, a snakehead fish and some seasonal vegetables, the mushrooms are great now!

• Like 1

Duh Gonz0, I did not look on the Chiang Mai page..... See you next week.

Junglechef, I have lived in Asia for the last 20 years. Very often in places that would make Chiang Mai look like New York, i.e. I was the only foreigner.....

Having said that, I love Asian food, but I love all food so I will not limit myself to a particular cuisine.

Edited by hanno

I agree that any good food is .... well good food, but most of the non-Thai is not here and that includes other Asia cuisines. As Chiang Mai is not known particularly as a food city but there are acceptable Western places for instance but any real foodie would not have a nearly an enjoyable time dining at them than doing as the Romans do.

Beccofino's for Italian food.

The weekday lunch buffet at Le Meridien hotel, especially toward the end of the week when they're a little busier and put out more dishes.

Afternoon tea at the DehraDavi (where you're planning to have dinner, too). Also, the afternoon tea at The Chedi is good. They have very good Indian food, too.

On the Canal Road--if going to the place mentioned earlier, right next to the Golf Driving Range--Yummy Pizza--it lives up to it's name, plus it serves other great food--Sunday lunch of Roast and Yorkshire pudding, f'r'instance.

Round the corner on the road leading back from Canal Road to Hang Dong Road [ Chiang Mai-Hod Road] is Khao Mao Khao Fang, or however it's spelled--lovely setting in the tress and shrubs--food is pretty good, also.

In side Moo Bahn Nai Fan again on canal Road the restaurant does great Thai food--apparently the Princess known as Pa Thep likes to eat there on occasions--mind you, this is 3 year old info and I haven't been recently, these places can change with the manager/chef from good to bad.

Have fun trying out all your recommendations.

I ate at Puccini twice last week next to the celebrity shower massage (the reason I started the topic) and the food was really fantastic. Blew my expectations away when I saw the prices on the menu. The pizza was perfect if you like thin crust (and I am picky) and the ravioli was perfect. Its actually run by some American kid. Its a good place to check out.

Clearly the OP is more concerned about ambiance and presentation that good grub.

I should have made myself more clear when I said it blew my expectations away. The atmosphere was great, the food taste was great, the presentation was great. This was fine dining at its best for 10 dollars. If you see/eat the food there you will be shocked that you are only spending 10 dollars. Its one of the best Italian restaurants Ive ever been to, including in Italy.

Hi Gonzo,

Regards,

Hanno

Hi Hanno,

I like many many places in Chiang Mai, My favourite is by far Pun Pun restaurant the food is organic Thai and is fantastic. They have 2 places one is inside the grounds of Wat Suan Dok ( hard to spot) and the other further up Suthep road.

The food is first class, seriously the nicest Thai food I have had in 7 years here - the price is ridiculous., main courses are around 60 baht - I am sure anyone who has been will back me up on this.

For foreign food I would have to say Dukes are hard to beat - great quality and not expensive, there is one at the night bazar, one over the river (iron bridge) and one opening soon in the promenade mall I think.

Edited by scotinsiam