Vaccine

eezergood

One place to look for such info is the Mayo Clinic website. The big hospitals seem to have pretty good paediatricians for advice - I took my daughter to Samitivej in soi 49 in Bangkok, and was very impressed. Anyway, Mr Eezer, if I recall, your kid isn't even born yet. If it is, sincere congrats. Give us the details.

He was born on Aug 8th - yesterday was his first vacccine injection!

They have offered, of course, us all kinds of extras, but I want to be sure of what he actually needs. Not what the hospital wants to sell. The young Dr we see is great, very good indeed. I just want to get a 'second opinion'

• Like 1

You can look up Centre for Disease Control and they will have information about what's prevalent in Thailand.

My research led me to understand mumps or measles is the thing most likely to be caught by my girls when there. These are not "diseases" I'm worried about, so have chosen to keep them unvax'd.

It's such a hard call. Mine aren't vax'd at all, never had any antibiotics. In lucky to live where I do though and I can't say I would have made the same decision if living in Thailand.

I actually think vaccines are a great concept but I feel not enough research was done before mass use. I'm certainly not happy with what is in a lot of vaccines and don't think those things belong in human bodies.

Do your own research, realise that statistics are just numbers, numbers that can be presented in different ways to bolster either sides' argument.

Am I a rabid anti-vax'er? No. Each to their own, their your kids. Do I believe that vaccines 'cause' autism. No. I think that blanket statement by any-vax is a load of rubbish, though I do believe it has been a trigger for autism IN SOME CASES.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I can link you to loads of info to both sides of you'd like. Might take me a while to find it all though!

• Like 2

Ok, we had this discussion a while ago and for obvious reasons it started some bickering. My thought on the matter is it's a must. I'm leaving out my thought on not vaccinating kids.

Op, if you want to know what and when they get in Australia I can get my daughter's medical book out and let you know, perhaps you could compare the 2 countries if that helps?

• Like 1

Ok, we had this discussion a while ago and for obvious reasons it started some bickering. My thought on the matter is it's a must. I'm leaving out my thought on not vaccinating kids.

Op, if you want to know what and when they get in Australia I can get my daughter's medical book out and let you know, perhaps you could compare the 2 countries if that helps?

Funny you should say that. I was coming back in here to say I was prompted to go back and research a bit more. The girls will be getting a few shots before we come over. :) Not all, only a select few, I still don't think all are necessary.

I should have said in my first post that it's always been a possibility they would be vax'd at some point. I don't like that they are all lumped together, it is possible for them to be given separately. They are also girls and will need rubella at some point.

It's such a hard call, where we are is clean, we eat well etc... That might always be the case when travelling and I have to take that into consideration. I also would not like to bring back something that was incubating and didn't show till we were home and was too late to quarantine them. Other parents have a right for their children to be protected, it's not *just* about mine.

Hi eezergood,

Here is the list of vaccinations recommended by the Australian Health Department for newborns through to 4 years of age.

Australian vaccination schedule
Date July 1, 2013

Immunsiations are a vital part of your baby's health schedule.
Immunsiations are a vital part of your baby's health schedule.

Birth
Hepatitis B

2 months
HepatitisB, diphtheria,tetanus, acellular pertussis (whooping cough), Haemophilus influenzae type b, inactivated poliomyelitis (polio) (hepB-DTPa-Hib-IPV)
Pneumococcal conjugate (13vPCV) Rotavirus

4 months
HepatitisB, diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis (whooping cough), Haemophilus influenzae type b, inactivated poliomyelitis (polio) (hepB-DTPa-Hib-IPV)
Pneumococcal conjugate (13vPCV) Rotavirus

6 months
HepatitisB, diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis (whooping cough), Haemophilus influenzae type b, inactivated poliomyelitis (polio) (hepB-DTPa-Hib-IPV)
Pneumococcal conjugate (13vPCV)
Rotavirus (third dose of vaccine is dependent on vaccine brand used; ask your doctor for details)

12 months
Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
Meningococcal C (MenCCV)
Measles,mumps and rubella (MMR)

18 months
Measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chickenpox) (MMRV)

4 years
Diphtheria, tetanus, acellularpertussis (whooping cough) and inactivatedpoliomyelitis (polio)(DTPa-IPV)
Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR)(to be givenonly if MMRV vaccine was not given at 18months

• Like 1

The Thai Ministry of public Health has a very clear set of guidelines for immunization and this is what hospitals follow. It is carefully thought through and consistent with guidelines form the Word Health Organization etc. The MoPH doe not stand to gain financially by reocmmending unnecessary vaccines; quite the contrary. There are a few costly vaccines which are recommended but not yet provided by the government system (cost issue..they will eventually get added). You will find the list of recommended vaccines on page 16 of the following:

http://110.164.68.234/infotech/files/Vac%20child&adult.pdf

Regarding the vaccines listed under "private" but not "government" on that schedule:

PCV is against a common type of pneumonia and has been proven to reduce infant mortality.

Rotavirus protects against a common cause of diarrhea in children, also proven effective.

HAV is Hep A vaccine. Currently the government pays only for Hep B vaccinated as Hep B is more serious whereas Hep A less so, but having your child get Hepatitis A is certainly not desirable and Hep A vaccine is certainly advisable.

All 3 of these vaccines are routinely given in western countries and are recommended for infants by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) of the US Centers for Disease Control.

All the vaccines listed under the government hospital schedule are also recommended by the CDC, although in the case of JE only for people traveling to countries where JE is endemic (Thailand most definitely qualifies).

I have not personally heard if any hospital trying to "sell extra" vaccines for a newborn not on this schedule and can't really imagine what those might consist of.

BTW if the child's mother is Thai, he is eligible for all but the PCV, Rotavirus and Hep A vaccines free of charge at a government hospital or health center (just as the mother was eligible for free delivery). So if you are concerned about saving money, get only these 3 at the private facility and the rest at government hospital/health center.

My daughter had the standard set of Thai vaccinations. At each appointment, you need to go over what

exactly your child is being given. My understanding for Thailand is that if you chose to not vaccinate your child,

he/she will not be allowed in school. I believe that applies to America as well. Every once in a while

the hospital I took my daughter to would try to slip in an unneeded vaccination such as for bird flu. I laughed,

and told the doctor I lived in a condo, not on a bird farm.... There was one shot for Japanese encephalitis

that was optional for Thailand , but required for America, so she had that one as well..

JE strongly recommended. Even if you live in the city, your child will likely at some point in their life travel to a rural area.

The "bird flu" vaccine these days is I think usually combined with overall flu vaccine, which is advisable annually starting at age 6 month onward. (given seasonally).

• 2 weeks later...