IT expert help needed. ADSL login problems

kyb789

My work bought me a nice new Dell Lat E6430 notebook. I was excited until I tried to connect to my Buddy Broadband at home. The login hangs at "Verifying User Name and Password", then it disconnects with a message "Error 691".

• I have no problems setting up the login ID and password on my 5 yr old LatE6410. The old notebook logs in every time, the new one gives me the error message.
  • I can put both notebooks side by side, compare network settings, they are identical. Automatic IP, and DSN, etc.
  • They both use Windows7.
  • BuddyBB gave me a Speedstream 4200 with LAN cable modem (no USB connection).

BuddyBB was kind enough to tell me my signal is good. My work IT experts are scratching their heads. Microsoft website didn't have any useful info for WIn7. Any ideas from a knowledgeable expert would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Some very informative links here, but none were able to fix. It seems WinXP had a fix for the problem, but Win7 users still struggle. Since both my notebooks have Win7, this frustrates me as to why only one doesn't work.

I have both PC's next to each other. I can do side-by-side comparisons of each setup and configuration screen. I can create log in and password account at the same time, but only the old one will successfully log in. Both PC's are setup the same.

The only difference i know of between both PC's is that the new one does not have an internal modem. This shouldn't matter, because LAN doesn't use an internal modem, but I was wondering if there is some type of communication support missing that is used for ADSL.

I've never used BuddyBroadband's service, but is there a reason why you don't have the 'Speedstream 4200 with LAN' login for you (assuming PPoE or PPoA) as the gateway and then either bridge or route the connection to your laptop? If you're logging in on the laptop, then can you only have one device connected to the service at one time?

Some connections record the mac id and won't allow devices to successfully login without being completely reset

edit/add:

Does the 'old' laptop get served a WAN IP address via dhcp or does it have a static IP address?
Can you access the Speedstream 4200 setup by browsing to
10.0.0.138, 10.0.0.1, 10.1.1.1 or 192.168.254.254

Edited by RichCor

There is a problem with win7 if there are updates waiting for the next restart then it may not do anything new correctly. I had exactly this problem with trying to setup a Toshiba laptop onto Buddy. Just try rebooting the new laptop and it may make a difference.

Cheers

You didn't specifically say whether the new computer will get online at work or elsewhere. You said only that the IT guys are scratching their heads. Have you tried to connect somewhere else?

It's possible that your modem is only a modem and not a router? I just googled Speedstream 4200 and it appears to be a modem. Have you tried unplugging both the power and the line in from it for 15 minutes before changing computers?

You didn't specifically say whether the new computer will get online at work or elsewhere. You said only that the IT guys are scratching their heads. Have you tried to connect somewhere else?

It's possible that your modem is only a modem and not a router? I just googled Speedstream 4200 and it appears to be a modem. Have you tried unplugging both the power and the line in from it for 15 minutes before changing computers?

No claim to expertise but have you tried Microsoft Fit It (free download).

Did you try...

1. If it works via a wired connection?
  2. Try updating your network card/wireless card drivers.
  3. Try connecting to another router

I have experienced on an occasion where a Huawei Ascend mobile phone refused to connect to the internet via a Router (B-Link/Chinese make). It connects to the router - accepts user name/password - but cannot browse the internet.

>> Many brands of phones/pc's/tablets never had this problem with the router, but ONLY the Huawei Ascend mobile phone.

>> But the Huawei Ascend mobile phone connects perfectly via my Samsung phones 'hot spot' (no solution found, to date)

No claim to expertise but have you tried Microsoft Fit It (free download).

Maybe he should try Microsoft "Sort it or else".

biggrin.png

Could you not just buy a wifi router for under 1000B?

This would avoid you having to configure the connection for different devices and you would able to use all of them all the time via either wifi or ethernet connections as you wish. All with no configuration issues.

Thank you everyone for your very valuable suggestions. I am working through all your suggestions and wil get back to you. The first order of business is to re-install Win7. There could have been a problem during the core-load. My work IT guy also suggested removing the 64-bit Win7 that was installed and replace it with 32-bit Win7. He has seen too many problems with 64-bit version. That will also ensure my old notebook and new notebook systems are identical. He also noticed that the company has changed the firewall settings to block unrecognized programs. This could be a contributing factor.

Will get back to you. Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for your very valuable suggestions. I am working through all your suggestions and wil get back to you. The first order of business is to re-install Win7. There could have been a problem during the core-load. My work IT guy also suggested removing the 64-bit Win7 that was installed and replace it with 32-bit Win7. He has seen too many problems with 64-bit version. That will also ensure my old notebook and new notebook systems are identical. He also noticed that the company has changed the firewall settings to block unrecognized programs. This could be a contributing factor.

If that was the advice of a work IT person I would fire him;.

• Like 2

The first order of business is to re-install Win7. There could have been a problem during the core-load. My work IT guy also suggested removing the 64-bit Win7 that was installed and replace it with 32-bit Win7.

Wow. That really is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. For what it's worth I use Win7 64bit and have done for several years. It works fine.

1000B. Wifi router. Configuration 10 minutes. Sorted.

Thank you everyone for your very valuable suggestions. I am working through all your suggestions and wil get back to you. The first order of business is to re-install Win7. There could have been a problem during the core-load. My work IT guy also suggested removing the 64-bit Win7 that was installed and replace it with 32-bit Win7. He has seen too many problems with 64-bit version. That will also ensure my old notebook and new notebook systems are identical. He also noticed that the company has changed the firewall settings to block unrecognized programs. This could be a contributing factor.

No offense, but your 'IT' person doesn't have a clue what they're talking about!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unless you're having other issues with the laptop, replacing the OS certainly seems like a time-intensive shotgun approach to solving the problem. There are a dozen quicker avenues I would have used before resorting to that (and then only if the situation warranted it!)

Why not make is simple. Change the issue. As one poster already suggested; ditch the speedstream and get a known-working adsl router, preferably one with multiple ethernet ports and WiFi. OR, get an external Router/WiFi AccessPoint and have it do the pppoE/pppoA login. 'Cause everything else seams a lot of work and hassle, and for what? Especially when you just want it to work and disappear into the background.

No offense, but your 'IT' person doesn't have a clue what they're talking about!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No offense taken. I have met enough IT guys with questionable ability. I think the IT guy's point had more to do with the company core load. My company is huge international company, and their core loads are riddled with bugs. They lock out administrative privilages so settings cannot be changed. His point was that the 32-bit core load has been around longer and has better fixes already in place. In general it will help me, whether or not related to my problem.

• Like 1

If that was the advice of a work IT person I would fire him;.

I wouldn't just fire him. This guy needs to see three red cards.-coffee1.gif

Problem solved. The switch from 64-bit Win7 to 32-bit Win7 worked! I am not going to defend the IT guy, I already got the forum's opinion of his suggestion. But it solved the problem. Certainly there still could have been another root cause. There could have been a problem with the original WIn7 installation, or a compatibility problem with my old modem, or a problem with my company's proprietary settings for the 64-bit version. Regardless, I didn't have to spend half a day at Pantip and more money.

I want to thank very one for the valuable suggestions and ideas. I plan to buy a wireless/router/modem eventually and follow some of the contributors suggestions. It was a learning experience. Thanks for helping the new guy.