$14 million dollar home for sale in Chiang Mai

CMfoodie

A luxurious 1,384 sqm villa that was featured in a 2007 issue of Architectural Digest is listed for sale in Chiang Mai, Thailand. The owner expects to sell it for no less than THB 763,000 (USD 23,800) per sqm.

Bill Bensley, a prominent architect, designed the entire villa and its surroundings. The genius of his architectural solution lies in a delicate combination of traditional Northern Thai designs and modern comforts. Walls of windows, vaulted ceilings and elegant furniture create a sunny and welcoming atmosphere.

- See more at: http://www.property-report.com/villa-featured-in-architectural-digest-for-sale-in-chiang-mai-thailand-31456#sthash.fLo4Vh8u.dpuf

Any takers? I wonder what the monthly electric bill is?

imagereader-1.jpg

http://www.property-report.com/villa-featured-in-architectural-digest-for-sale-in-chiang-mai-thailand-31456

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's 'Howie's Homestay' at Mae Rim... not far from the Siam Insect Zoo, Tiger Kingdom & all the monkey/snake show 'attractions'.

good luck on the asking price.. rolleyes.gif

Right. Saw a brochure/magazine/prospectus thing a couple of weeks ago. It looks OTT to me, overly gaudy and not at all like a home. Something for photo shoots, filming movies, etc. I don't know how your math figures out as I'm too tired now but I think the asking price was between 400-500 million THB or something silly like that (which is of course a joke). Chok dee.

it's 'Howie's Homestay' at Mae Rim... not far from the Siam Insect Zoo, Tiger Kingdom & all the monkey/snake show 'attractions'.

good luck on the asking price.. rolleyes.gif

The rates to stay seem pretty reasonable to me if the house is worth that much..

rates below from website..

HAVE ALL THIS ALL TO YOURSELF FROM THAI BAHT 28,000 INCLUSIVE

We will be pleased to reserve the Teak Guest Pavilion for you (double occupancy, king bed) starting at 28,000 THB per night.

To accommodate your family and friends, Howie’s HomeStay offers up to 3 additional suites, with rates as follows:

Family Master Suite, king bed, 2 persons ....... 18,000 THB per night

Family Suite room, king bed for 2 persons...... 18,000 THB per night

Family Suite room, 2 twin beds for 2 persons...18,000 THB per night

For our guests traveling with children under 17 years of age, we are happy to set up an additional bed in each suite you reserve (all inclusive rates upon request) and children under 3 years old stay free at Howie’s HomeStay.

The key is to build it yourself, have contractors that you can squeeze for every little baht, make it impossible to guess valuation, and then make up reason why you must sell. Also, the key is to make it seem like you are actually losing money. Since no zillow, let's say he spent $4 million on the house; however, he is the architect and likely values his time. I am surprised he didn't list it for 20 million, gets good press coverage; free publicity. In a few months/years, sell for $9 million and still walk away with bank. What does this tell me? This guy is smart and selling....so he thinks the top in housing is in or within a year.*

*note: everything i said might be completely BS. However, what is really true in this world? smile.png

Couple of questions.....

For $15M you would expect a house not to be in the middle of a swamp and the dock/walkways to be connected.

...... and did Howie put the place in his Thai wifes name????

Think of the opportunity there....

Well we don't know who holds the title but if your suspicions are correct, I couldn't agree more. If true, I would think he would be afraid to go to sleep at night.

Like to know how Howie made all his money!

RAZZ

Its true, oven mitts. But Howard is a surprisingly down to earth fellow, at least the few times I have met him at the local noodle shop.

What ! ! ! With his electric bill, he can still afford noodles ?????

Just about ;)

Couple of questions.....

For $15M you would expect a house not to be in the middle of a swamp and the dock/walkways to be connected.

Perhaps you are mistaken suggesting that the home is in the middle of a swamp and that there are issues regarding the ownership. If you knew Howie or knew him better and were aware of what the property really is you might have a very different view. You might even find that you liked and respected him.

Also it is extremely unlikely that the architect would build anything in a swamp nor would the magazines which reviewed the home done so if it was an issue.

Couple of questions.....

Perhaps you are mistaken suggesting that the home is in the middle of a swamp and that there are issues regarding the ownership. If you knew Howie or knew him better and were aware of what the property really is you might have a very different view. You might even find that you liked and respected him.

Also it is extremely unlikely that the architect would build anything in a swamp nor would the magazines which reviewed the home done so if it was an issue.

Dante99 ..... coming from you that amazes me...... can't you tell when something is said ' tongue-in-cheek ' ??

Need it be said... " I say, I say boy,,,,,, thats a joke son " ala lester leghorn

biggrin.pngtongue.pnglaugh.pngsmile.pngcheesy.gif

Couple of questions.....

Dante99 ..... coming from you that amazes me...... can't you tell when something is said ' tongue-in-cheek ' ??

Need it be said... " I say, I say boy,,,,,, thats a joke son " ala lester leghorn

biggrin.pngtongue.pnglaugh.pngsmile.pngcheesy.gif

I like a laugh and piss-take as much as the next guy but I didn't read it as being tongue in cheek, and if it was, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-23892594re-reading it with that in mind still doesn't make it funny , just boring and predictable. It came across as being the sort of negative comment you come to expect here, and bearing in mind how many there are, and how long you've been on this forum, you should have been aware of that. I think you got it wrong this time.

Who is Lester Leghorn? Even google doesn't know him. Another joke gone wrong?

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Talk about a$$ kissers....... if this guy was just poor joe on the street , nothing would have been said.

But of course there is money here.....

And about leghorn, you would have to have a sense of humor to recognize the calling...... so it would be a waste to try explaining it to you,,,, better notate....." sarcasm " whistling.gifsmile.png

PS your link doesn't seem to open

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Talk about a$$ kissers....... if this guy was just poor joe on the street , nothing would have been said.

But of course there is money here.....

And about leghorn, you would have to have a sense of humor to recognize the calling...... so it would be a waste to try explaining it to you,,,, better notate....." sarcasm " whistling.gifsmile.png

PS your link doesn't seem to open

I've no idea how that link got in there, some kind of a glitch.

I have no idea who this guy is, and whether he is wealthy or not is of no concern to me, so your reference to ass-kissing was both wrong and childish. I was merely pointing out that your post was not funny and could easily be interpreted as rude, as was the case with Dante, and me, to some extent. You're obviously not good with even mild criticism, so it was clearly a waste of time. I was trying to be helpful rather than offensive but either that didn't come across, or you're just too sensitive. Who knows, and who cares? Not me, anymore.

I'm a big fan of comedy , with sarcasm being amongst my favourite, so I spend many an hour watching comedy on YouTube, but have never come across the guy you mentioned. If google doesn't know him, then I'm not alone.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Just as Bor Sang produces umbrellas many other villages are known for an artisanal craft and the seller is just another typical Boston boy who made $74 Billion on animal shaped oven mitts, know a other few guys in my old neighborhood who did the same.