Visa to open bank account

I opened a Bangkok Bank account with a tourist visa, plus a certified copy of my Australian Passport ID and visa stamp pages (had to be done at the Australian Embassy - cost 1500 bt). I received a passbook and Visa ATM card (not a credit card). All done in 1 day. I have had no problems in using their ATMs and making TT transfers from my Australian Bank to the Bangkok Bank account. On the few times I have visited their branches the service has been friendly and efficient.

In variability whenever I need to do a transaction at one of their ATM or passbook update machines they're offline. If I come to a bank of 5 different machines in a shopping mall, it one is down, it's the BB machine. Just my experience. Like a week ago, I needed to update my passbook for a one-year visa extension and the machine at the Bic C branch I went to had the red-screen of death.

I am from the UK and I bank with Bangkok Bank and have never had a problem either at a branch or ATM. All banks in Thailand copy the passport and visa.pages when opening an account. Strangely enough I have never found an ATM down when I needed it.

• Like 1

In variability whenever I need to do a transaction at one of their ATM or passbook update machines they're offline. If I come to a bank of 5 different machines in a shopping mall, it one is down, it's the BB machine. Just my experience. Like a week ago, I needed to update my passbook for a one-year visa extension and the machine at the Bic C branch I went to had the red-screen of death.

The "Red Screen" normally means they have run out of money. It's normally a sign that they have had a heavy run (perhaps because of a Budhist holiday). A few years ago you had to have been in the country about 2 years before becoming a customer, but those days are gone. It does help if the branch manager knows you for getting internet connection.

Just be aware that of all the major Thai private banks, I consider Bangkok Bank to be the least consumer friendly and their ATM network is invariably down.

About 15 years with Bangkok Bank and I have never had a problem with their service at the branches, including Phra Tamnak branch in Pattaya where I maintain my account, and have never found their ATM not up and running (with the exception of one time at TukCom, but that was that ATM, not the network). Plus it's very convenient to be able to make a domestic bank transfer in the US to their NY branch and have the money available to me in Thailand in a couple of days with only a $10 plus Baht 200 charge.

Maybe you're putting your ATM card in the wrong way around or doing something of a similar nature to evoke an unfriendly response from people at the bank.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I think what he's asking is what kind of visa he needs to be able to get access to internet banking. Normally you would only get a savings account and a debit card with a tourist visa/excemption. For internet banking normally they will ask for a work permit, non imm visa or PR but just try different branches as there are tons of people who have internet banking and are on tourist visas. So obviously they approve it at some branches.

• Like 1

You only need a tourist visa. I opened one just as i arrived ( on a tourist visa). All i needed was my passport and an address ( i was living in a hotel at the time). I had to return to the bank 3 days later to receive my user name and password for the internet banking. Easy.

P.S. It was Krungthai bank, if that helps.

P.P.S. It also works in English

Edited by lucifer666

I've opened 3 accounts with Bangkok Bank so far. I went with them because, at the time, it seemed they were the most "farang friendly" when it came to opening an account (according to what I'd been reading on ThaiVisa at least).

However, if you only had the 30 day visa, you could only open a savings account. No chequing and no internet access.

About 1 1/2 years ago I opened a Term ("Fixed Account") and asked about internet access as I had recently acquired my first retirement visa. The nice girl informed me that she had already set me up for internet access when I had transferred my account from a different branch the previous year (despite not having anything more than the 30 day stamp at the time).

I think it may have something to do with a combination of (visa/account balance/manager's discretion) when it comes to what kind of account you can open and if they'll grant internet access.

I've had accounts with BB for about 9 years now and have never had problems with them or their ATMs. In fact, while travelling I've actually had more luck getting cash with my BB ATM card than I have had with my Canadian ATM or VISA card in some countries (I'm looking at you UAE) !!

Just be aware that of all the major Thai private banks, I consider Bangkok Bank to be the least consumer friendly and their ATM network is invariably down.

I've never had a problem.
been with Bangkok Bank 6 years now never had a problem

That has not been my experience. Never have I gone to an ATM and had a problem.

agreed and they deliver 25 notes rather than the usual 20

I'll have to try again then as last week I could only take out 20 at once at my Bangkok Bank ATM here in Lam Plai Mat. Also, tried to send an ATM transfer from there a few days later and only allowed me 20 at once (and only once a day) too so had to send the rest the next day. Not complaining as the bank is just down the road but just stating as my friends have said Bangkok Bank has always been good for them over the years and why I went there.

Edited by mushroomdave

Well 2 weeks ago I received my Ed-Visa here in Lam Plai Mat and went to Bangkok Bank the very next day. Just handed them my passport, signed a bunch of papers, and my Thai friend told them my address. In and out 10-15 minutes and used Bangkok Bank as many of my friends here said they never had problems with them......good luck!

Edited by mushroomdave

I opened one with the 30 day form and address of hotel at Green Bank in Pattaya Klang.No problems just used my hotel as address.Took about 10 minutes.Got a bank book and card.Gave them 5000 baht went outside withdrew 4500 baht no problems.Only problem I had was I gave them my wrong internet address my fault.They ring me all sorted out next day

Opening is easy in BKK, and yes u can get ATM and bankbook, but i tried a few times with different bank to get internet banking, and although some applied for it, it was never granted. I was told you must have a working permit. In Pattaya Kasikorn bank opened it without questions asked, that is, if you have some cash to deposit:).

Last year I opened a bank account in Pattaya branch of Bangkok Bank, no problem, just showed passport, deposited 20,000 Baht and got immediately a debit card. When asked about internet banking, they wanted to see my "O" visa and said it is no good because it will expire soon. Also I would have had to fill out about 15 forms, seemed very complicated

This year I walked in to the same branch, had my pass book updated (had only 700 baht left on the acct.).

Then asked for bank details in order to be able to transfer money from abroad. They gave me the details.

I asked again for internet banking, and this time no asking for visa.

they just made photocopies of my passport and made me sign about 15 pages of Thai papers. They said I will receive my pin in about 3 weeks.

2 weeks later I received an e-mail from them, with instructions how to log in to my account. They sent me my username in that e-mail, but not the pin.

went back to the branch and asked for the pin. They said they cannot give me the Pin, I have to be patient and wait for it by mail to the address I provided.

still waiting for the pin!

In the meantime I asked my boss abroad to send half of my salary to my Bangkok bank account.

Went back to branch yesterday to check if it had arrived since I cannot check it on the internet.

They updated my passbook and I could see that the money indeed had arrived one day after it was transferred (with an excellent exchange rate).

So far I have no complaints about the service at Bangkok Bank (except that I am still waiting for my pin)

thaisabai

• Like 1

I have noticed this a few times for ATMs that are located within Tesco Lotus or Big C, but never at a local branch of Bangkok Bank. Maybe should you try to stop by a local branch of your bank when you need to update your passbook or do a transaction instead of doing that in shopping centers or at hypermarkets.

I have 2 accounts with SCB one in Pattaya and other in Khon Kaen both on Internet for transfers, checking all things. Did not need any documents just passport. Easy with SCB

A very unhelpful and untrue statement.

Never had a problem with Bangkok Bank in 30 years. I do not know how you can state that the ATM Network is invariably down since it most definitely is not. Your problem may be only your branch which may have a problem with the modem.

Edited by Estrada

In order to open a personal or corporate current account one needs a work permit. Failing that Thai banks will only let you open a savings account. Re corporate accounts: Even if you eventually manage to open a current account some banks (Krung Thai being one) will not let you transact online unless the beneficary(ies) have been declared by you first by filling the usual slew of documents for each and every beneficary. Then following a 2 week wait will you be able to pay these beneficiaries online. I am aware that one can transfer via an atm but that is not exactly practial from a corporate point of view.

One last note on online bankiing. Last week when i downloaded the statement of my savings account with SCB which pays me a generous 0.5% pa rate of interest, i noticed an "annual fee" charge of Bth 5,000 for internet banking. For legal reasons i will refrain from giving you my honest opinion of Thai banks but i am sure you catch my drift.

Bangkok Bank has always been very easy to deal with. At the branch office we use most, the manager jumps up and finds out what we want to do and gives it to a teller to take care of us as soon as they finish with the customer they are helping. We do bring a box of chocolates yearly for all the tellers and other workers and a bottle of whiskey at New Years for the manager, but they've been extremely helpful over the years. We appreciate them and they appreciate our business.

Last year I opened a bank account in Pattaya branch of Bangkok Bank, no problem, just showed passport, deposited 20,000 Baht and got immediately a debit card. When asked about internet banking, they wanted to see my "O" visa and said it is no good because it will expire soon. Also I would have had to fill out about 15 forms, seemed very complicated

This year I walked in to the same branch, had my pass book updated (had only 700 baht left on the acct.).

Then asked for bank details in order to be able to transfer money from abroad. They gave me the details.

I asked again for internet banking, and this time no asking for visa.

they just made photocopies of my passport and made me sign about 15 pages of Thai papers. They said I will receive my pin in about 3 weeks.

2 weeks later I received an e-mail from them, with instructions how to log in to my account. They sent me my username in that e-mail, but not the pin.

went back to the branch and asked for the pin. They said they cannot give me the Pin, I have to be patient and wait for it by mail to the address I provided.

still waiting for the pin!

In the meantime I asked my boss abroad to send half of my salary to my Bangkok bank account.

Went back to branch yesterday to check if it had arrived since I cannot check it on the internet.

They updated my passbook and I could see that the money indeed had arrived one day after it was transferred (with an excellent exchange rate).

So far I have no complaints about the service at Bangkok Bank (except that I am still waiting for my pin)

thaisabai

When I opened my account at Bangkok Bank I walked outside to ATM and selected the set up I-banking screen and entered my phone number and I had a one time password SMS before closing out the transaction. Then went online and finished setting up i-banking.

You can set up an SMS alert for incoming transfers.

Bra opened a Bangkok Bank account with a tourist visa, plus a certified copy of my Australian Passport ID and visa stamp pages (had to be done at the Australian Embassy - cost 1500 bt). I received a passbook and Visa ATM card (not a credit card). All done in 1 day. I have had no problems in using their ATMs and making TT transfers from my Australian Bank to the Bangkok Bank account. On the few times I have visited their branches the service has been friendly and efficient

what a Rip Off 1500 baht sad.png